New Dev Video: Javelin Adjustment

(Chris Mullins) #1

Hey all!

We’re making some adjustments to the way Javelin operates. Have a look at some of the more pronounced changes in anticipation of the full update and release notes later this week.

Subscribe to us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/dirtybombgame/videos
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DirtyBombGame/
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/DirtyBomb

Enjoy!
shoe.

(hoyes) #2

I really want to see how this goes, as it looks like she will be much more fair to fight against now, but if the charge up time is not changed, it does not change the fact that it can be used in a 1v1 scenario easily. But alas, I might be wrong and with the combination of the damage changes and the indicators, we might just be able to jump away as she fires. Also, nice QoL change for guided mode, I barely saw that being used.

(Szakalot) #3

@jooshoyes said:
I really want to see how this goes, as it looks like she will be much more fair to fight against now, but if the charge up time is not changed, it does not change the fact that it can be used in a 1v1 scenario easily. But alas, I might be wrong and with the combination of the damage changes and the indicators, we might just be able to jump away as she fires. Also, nice QoL change for guided mode, I barely saw that being used.

considering half the abilities in the game can be used to your advantage in 1v1, imo its not that big a deal.

The nerfs across the board sure go against the ‘javelin is fine’ crowd we’ve been seeing.

(TheFpsPro27) #4

BEST DEVELOPERS EVER!!..

They had really read comments about javelin and used the most common suggestions (louder voice, laser pointer, smaller aoe, harder instagib, slower ammo generator…).

(Mc1412013) #5

So now it wont take out a rhino? Dont mind the gibbing reduction. But what will a direct hit to rhino do.
Not gonna be happy if be survives a rocket to the face with plenty of xp to spare.

(hoyes) #6

@Mc1412013 said:
So now it wont take out a rhino? Dont mind the gibbing reduction. But what will a direct hit to rhino do.
Not gonna be happy if be survives a rocket to the face with plenty of xp to spare.

Nah they only changed it so it doesn’t instagib as often with splash damage, direct hits are the same.

(TheStrangerous) #7

Gimme back that axe! You sucked all of it’s power out, and you must unsuck it now!

(KayDubz) #8

Looks good. Only thing I would change is:

1. She shouldn’t instagib anyone in my view. No other mercs explosives instagib that I’m aware of (air strikes not including). So shes very powerful during indoor or close quarter battles.

2. Make her Ammo ability actually take effort. Make the player have to press a button. It shouldn’t be automatic…even if you are now going to decrease the given amounts of ammo.

(azz_abdr) #9

When they said about health for instagib I was thinking about 70 or lower, I was hoping It’s just for direct hit, 100 is still a high number. 3 of 4 medics still very dead.

(DB Genome editor) #10

Anyone noticed the reskined Obsidian Phoenix showing up throughout the video? Even got the 1st person look at the hand model :slight_smile:

(bgyoshi) #11

Basically no Javelin nerf of any kind. Small rework based on the only legitimate feedback given about her. No damage nerf, radius reduction that is pointless since everyone will be using blast radius boost perks, overkill gibbing still works as normal, most players are under 100HP in firefights anyway, rocket charge time completely unchanged. Laser pointer is fun but won’t help you dodge, since the general whining is that 1 second isn’t enough time to react.

Get rekt. Glad they didn’t go overboard and destroy a mostly fine addition to the game. I can’t wait to see the new mountains of salt that are going to form once this update goes live

(Xenithos) #12

@bgyoshi It’s very hard to tell when you’re being serious or what your actual view on that is. :confused:

Personally, I think I can live with the changes and they aren’t terrible, the rocket being a little more necessary on the skill levels because of the blast radius makes it harder to do spawn killing and stuff like that, but oh well. I think the changes to the ammo stuff is a little high… I think simply making it so that she gives ammo slower OR the range reduction might have been nice, but a complete half? If you have to gain two clips of ammo, it will take you 6 seconds of running behind her like a little obedient puppy? Gosh… that… seems excessive. I’ll find out soon though. :neutral:

Also… please at least fix her combat axe. :confused:

(asdfqwop) #13

@bgyoshi said:
Basically no Javelin nerf of any kind. Small rework based on the only legitimate feedback given about her. No damage nerf, radius reduction that is pointless since everyone will be using blast radius boost perks, overkill gibbing still works as normal, most players are under 100HP in firefights anyway, rocket charge time completely unchanged. Laser pointer is fun but won’t help you dodge, since the general whining is that 1 second isn’t enough time to react.

Get rekt. Glad they didn’t go overboard and destroy a mostly fine addition to the game. I can’t wait to see the new mountains of salt that are going to form once this update goes live

How do you think that they fixed the instagibbing? There is a damage nerf (source: reddit). And the aoe was reduced 4.1 meters from 4.8 meters. Even with perks it increases to 4.525 meters. Now it is possible to jump behind a corner to avoid getting instagibbed and get instantly revived by your teams medic. And now half of the merchs can survive in most of the blast radius with the “unshakeable” perk.

(Outblast) #14

Happy about the change. Not happy as Im sure you knew this all along and just let her be OP to cash in. All in all, glad that it will be put to rest.

(n-x) #15

The info about instagibbing is a bit dodgy:

On screen it says: “rockets now only instagibs mercs with less than 100hp”

But he says: “mercs with 100hp or less”

If case 1 is true Phoenix doesnt get gibbed if case 2 is true he gets gibbed. Especially with Phoenix self revive this makes a huge difference.

(PorkyPerson) #16

The biggest problems I’ve seen with her are how devastating she is when flanking and how effective the rockets are in close quarters.

Her flanking ability comes from a lack of warning and the huge gibbing AOE. Less gibbing and some pre-launch noise will help this. I think the artillery warning perk should also light up when she starts warming a rocket pointed in your direction, especially dumb fired. If the laser only works in dumb fire mode nobody will use it for flanking anyway.

I don’t see anything done about her close quarters effectiveness. Reducing the AOE will only make her more effective here. The two ways I see to deal with this are a major slowdown and no jumping while pre-launching or add an activation timer on the rockets where if they hit something too soon they fall and explode a few seconds later. Another thing that would help is if shot while pre-launching it could add a tiny bit more pre-launch time making it way harder to time a jump and rocket.

Her ammo dropping is too easy, but it’s not necessarily too fast. I’m regularly out of ammo drops with her. As soon as one regenerates it goes fast, because it takes 0 effort to drop it. I think the ability would be totally in line with other ammo supply if other both players needed to stand still a little before it started dispensing or if they needed to aim directly at her or press something to get ammo.

(kopyright) #17

@PorkyPerson said:
I think the ability would be totally in line with other ammo supply if other both players needed to stand still a little before it started dispensing or if they needed to aim directly at her or press something to get ammo.

Something similar to Phoenix’ healing pulse has been suggested in the past, though that’s still an active ability, not a passive one.

Most of these changes sound reasonable to me. Still trying to get a feeling as where exactly I am guiding my rocket at. Maybe we need an official shooting range or something like that. You could even recycle some parts from the Execution maps for it.

(I know you can load maps via console commands but that’s not exactly intuitive)

(ImSploosh) #18

Why did they alter so many things? A nerf to the ammo and maybe a slight nerf or change to the rocket and Javelin would have been fine. Feels like they’re over-nerfing her like they’ve done with some other mercs because people complain too much. Still gotta play her to see for sure though.

(TitaniumRapture) #19

@ImSploosh said:
Why did they alter so many things? A nerf to the ammo and maybe a slight nerf or change to the rocket and Javelin would have been fine. Feels like they’re over-nerfing her like they’ve done with some other mercs because people complain too much. Still gotta play her to see for sure though.

Overnerfing? You serious? They just touched the blast radius and made her rocket more predictable. What less would you want? Change her hair color?

(watsyurdeal) #20

This is hardly an overnerf, this is more of the kind of balance I like to see. Giving her real counter play and ways to deal with her, and slightly toning down things, but not so much that she’s utterly destroyed.

They didn’t pull a Phantom, which is good.