New Dev Video: Javelin Adjustment

(bgyoshi) #21

@asdfqwop said:

How do you think that they fixed the instagibbing?

They didn’t change “insta” gibbing, functionally. I can’t count how many rockets I’ve have blow up an inch from me an cause 0 damage, as well as the number of rockets that’ve blown up a foot from me and not gibbed me. If you get gibbed under 100 HP, then you’re being hit for at least 150 damage. Direct hits still kill a Rhino which means at least 200 damage per rocket, slightly more than a Fragger nade. In effect, no change to gibbing, especially in 7v7.

There is a damage nerf (source: reddit).

What is it? They didn’t say in the video at all

And the aoe was reduced 4.1 meters from 4.8 meters. Even with perks it increases to 4.525 meters. Now it is possible to jump behind a corner to avoid getting instagibbed and get instantly revived by your teams medic.

You do realize .275 meters in this game is like the distance of a boot, right?

And now half of the merchs can survive in most of the blast radius with the “unshakeable” perk.

If gibbing is based on overkill damage then… no, they can’t if they’re under 100 HP.

@Xenithos said:
@bgyoshi It’s very hard to tell when you’re being serious or what your actual view on that is. :confused:

The changes are fine and don’t really address damage/gib complaints in any functional way. Which is good, because changing those things just makes her a bad Arty/Haggis. Most mercs will be under 100 HP within two or three bullets or one splash from a random explosive. Considering it’s impossible to not get hit by the mountain of crossfire in 7v7, that means everyone is still getting gibbed.

All explosives can gib players with no chance of reviving and an explosive that is slower than 2 Fragger nades better be able to gib. The damage was good (didn’t change) and gibbing is necessary (didn’t really change).

Laser is fine and neat to watch
Ammo generator SHOULD be slower and worse than a stationary ammo station or a tossable pack.
Visible charging is good, now the unobservant players that can’t tell the difference between a gun and a rocket launcher have no excuse. Plus, as a sniper, it makes a great target for shooting to nuke the entire enemy team.

Good changes, seal of approval!

(Xenithos) #22

@bgyoshi Thanks for explaining that to me, I’m pretty glad they didn’t destroy her either. I’m pretty agreeable with all of them, and they didn’t pull a nerf like they did to Phantom. The changes to her rocket launcher are probably the wisest in balancing. Especially considering they basically did what I said short of nerfing her hp a few posts ago.

So… glad to see this!

(TitaniumRapture) #23

Well she will still remain queen of cheap kills. It is nice to know that she is going to fire rocket but i have no chance to kill her in 1,5 second. I doubt it will be enough to even run away in most scenarios.

Maybe i can try to use melee with pineapple juggler. :smiley:

(asdfqwop) #24

@bgyoshi said:

@asdfqwop said:

How do you think that they fixed the instagibbing?

They didn’t change “insta” gibbing, functionally. I can’t count how many rockets I’ve have blow up an inch from me an cause 0 damage, as well as the number of rockets that’ve blown up a foot from me and not gibbed me. If you get gibbed under 100 HP, then you’re being hit for at least 150 damage. Direct hits still kill a Rhino which means at least 200 damage per rocket, slightly more than a Fragger nade. In effect, no change to gibbing, especially in 7v7.

There is a damage nerf (source: reddit).

What is it? They didn’t say in the video at all

A developer in reddit said that the video does not cover every detail and there will be patch notes soon. The blast damage is 200 and there is another 200 bonus damage for direct hits. The blast damage is reduced to approximately 150 but the bonus damage from direct hit is still 200. The blast damage is calculated as (maximum blast damage)x(1-(distance/blast radius)) so reducing the radius also effects the damage. After the nerf fragger, thunder and rhino can survive the maximum blast damage (without direct hit) with “unshakeable” perk. And most of other merchs can survive in most of the radius.

Btw there is a collision bug with the rocket (it is already reported). If there is anything with collision between a player and the rocket, regardless of how small it is the explosion does not deal damage. So if there is a deployable or an explosive(mines and sticky bombs) between the player and the explosion, then the explosion might not deal damage.

(bgyoshi) #25

@asdfqwop said:
The blast damage is calculated as (maximum blast damage)x(1-(distance/blast radius)) so reducing the radius also effects the damage.

If that’s how it works then all over 100 HP full health mercs survive 1.1 meters or further away. Before the nerf, all over 100 HP full health mercs survived at 2.2 meters or further. Both reductions only reduced the death radius by 1.1 meters. Considering the general accuracy of rockets, you’d be pretty hard pressed to get outside of 1.1 meters anyway. A nerf indeed, but not the nerf they wanted.

That being said, contrary to what I said above, bigger blast would in fact be a worthless perk at this point, increasing the minumum kill radius by .2 meters (a boot of distance).

150 x (1-(1.1/4.10)) = 109.75609
150 x (1-(1.2/4.51)) = 110.08869 (10% increase to blast radius is +.41 from 4.1 to 4.51)

200 x (1-(2.2/4.80)) = 108.33333

The nerf everyone wanted was gib only on direct hits, kill only on the inner-most radius, and increase charge time to 3 seconds.

This is still way better than the suggested changes and, again, I doubt people will notice much of a difference in 7v7