New Brink PC Update Released

(Ydor) #81

[QUOTE=sirius89;334660]Do you reall think one driver can magically give me a 50-60 steady FPS when ATI has a new driver out?

There is something wrong on SD’s side too.I highly doubt that it’s only ATI’s fault.[/QUOTE]

Did you apply the ATI hotfix to 11.5b?

Ever since I applied the hotfix I got a decent performance and yesterdays gamepatch added another 10-20 fps (depending on the gameplay situation).

I have a steady 45-50+ fps count now in 1080p with aa enabled and high details running on a several years old e6300 system with 2 GB ram and an ATI 6850 graphics card that’s slower than the 58x0 series of ATI. (w/o weapon model, with model on it’s noticably higher fps - and that’s the minimum, it’s mostly higher)

(Stormchild) #82

Thanks for the great update SD !! Good to see that you guys read and take suggestions in account.

There are still a few strong requests around, but overall there’s been very good progress from day 1 release.

Keep up with the win sauce !

(Ydor) #83

I was wondering whether the “AllocRenderModel called from a different thread for …” bug has also been fixed without being listed explicitely.

Other than that as many people already stated, the update was a big step into the right direction, which should have happened before release. I guess the release had to come fast due to commercial necessities, but to release such a bugged game can kill a reputation quickly. It’s just too noticable that time ran out when the console game was quickly ported for pc.

I just hope you didn’t destroy the playerbase before there even was one to speak of. You better introduce some free weekends or something once you patched the remaining major issues to get some new players to the game before the game dies on pc.

(phila_delphia) #84

Thank you for the Update! I am looking foreward to play with the balance tweaks!:smiley:

BUT: Can someone tell me where I have to put/set up the “save_readFile” in oder to load a backup savegame?! :confused:

Thank you!

(mOrs) #85

Just wanted to tell you - and especially those at SD responsible for working on that stuff - that I am using a GTX 560 Ti and never had ANY problems with Brink performancewise. Got the game two weeks ago. If you, SD, need my complete specs to look into what’s wrong with certain graphic cards, tell me and Im happy to share em.

Oh, and thanks a lot for that patch! But I want to add to what’s still missing from the game: I think there’s still no option to remove favourite servers, right? It’s just a tiny thing, but you still should add that.

5870 vapour x, q9550 at 3.4GHz, 4 GB DDR 2 800

1920x1200 resolution, all settings on max, vsync off, HBAO off.

Get 35-120 FPS with an average of 60+, it performs well. I would say it should perform better (see ET:QW) but it is very pretty and playable, as is!

Good luck resolving your PC’s performance issue.

(dazman76) #87

Nice to see some positive feedback regarding performance, especially from two groups (NV 5xx and ATI <any>) that initially seemed to be affected quite badly :slight_smile: I can appreciate that it seems logical to blame a game dev when most games seem fine, and only their product has issues - but that still doesn’t mean it’s the game dev’s fault. One of these days, people will understand that - I hope :slight_smile: While we still have OpenGL engines in use though, I think the problems will continue - more so for ATI owners than NV owners.

(Apoc) #88

If your worried about performance, just turn your settings down!

Iv never liked looking at pretty graphics when playing games, find them distracting, all mine are ultra low and i enjoy 200 stable fps

(hellreturn) #89

Mine are in the range of 20-30 FPS with ATI 5870. Lowest resolution and settings.

(miDGet) #90

[QUOTE=Apoc;334836]If your worried about performance, just turn your settings down!

Iv never liked looking at pretty graphics when playing games, find them distracting, all mine are ultra low and i enjoy 200 stable fps[/QUOTE]

wow, thanks for the tip. you got nvidia, huh? hell, i even tested a 640 x 480 resolution and i had around +5 more fps than before, while they were still dropping and the game was lagging and the aiming and movement was not responsive at all due to the framedrops.

5850 here and my frames drop to ~20-30 on resort in open areas as usual. nothing has changed for me, got the newest drivers and sheet like that. hoping for catalyst 11.6 to fix it, else i’m out for good since i’m interested in the competitive side of this game. but maps like reactor are hardly playable when your fps suddenly drop to ~30-40 when you are in a fight or when you enter a certain area of the map… SIGH

(zenstar) #91

[QUOTE=miDGet;334853]wow, thanks for the tip. you got nvidia, huh? hell, i even tested a 640 x 480 resolution and i had around +5 more fps than before, while they were still dropping and the game was lagging and the aiming and movement was not responsive at all due to the framedrops.

5850 here and my frames drop to ~20-30 on resort in open areas as usual. nothing has changed for me, got the newest drivers and sheet like that. hoping for catalyst 11.6 to fix it, else i’m out for good since i’m interested in the competitive side of this game. but maps like reactor are hardly playable when your fps suddenly drop to ~30-40 when you are in a fight or when you enter a certain area of the map… SIGH[/QUOTE]

If the catalysts are fixing the issues then start shouting at ATI to get their ass into gear. They’re probably not supporting something properly.

(mukmuk) #92

Ha, I just upgraded from my Athlon 4400+ dual core to a quad core Phenom 9750.
Didn’t get to try the quad before the new patch but dammmmn! my rig was totally CPU bound, that is for sure. Before I would get 30 fps if I was lucky and both cores were near maxed, now I’m at a solid 60+fps most of the time with 3 cores at ~70% and one core near max.

So, 2 extra cores + update = happy me. :slight_smile: Thanks Splash Damage!

nVidia 9600GT, 1024x768, 2xAA, shadows on, high textures.

(zenixthepowner) #93

Thanks for the server changes
But i have one question
net_serverSnapshotDelay 3
What does that exactly do when i make it higher? Does it effect the game? Because i am just running private servers for competition players. If it doesn’t effect the players i would like to make it higher.

(GreasedScotsman) #94

[QUOTE=phila_delphia;334769]BUT: Can someone tell me where I have to put/set up the “save_readFile” in oder to load a backup savegame?! :confused:

Thank you![/QUOTE]

I noticed this already working w/o changing anything. Check your

\Steam\userdata#####\22350\remote folder for

“game.save” (your current save game)

and “game.save.backup#” now auto-created when you launch the game. Note that the backup seems to be written when you launch the game, not when you close it, so I guess it’s possible to lose a current session’s progress if you are forced to restore. Haven’t tested it, though… just examining the timestamps.

(RR2DO2) #95

[QUOTE=zenixthepowner;334891]Thanks for the server changes
But i have one question
net_serverSnapshotDelay 3
What does that exactly do when i make it higher? Does it effect the game? Because i am just running private servers for competition players. If it doesn’t effect the players i would like to make it higher.[/QUOTE]

When you lower it (not increase it, increase means a bigger delay between snapshots), the server generates more snapshots. This increases CPU and network usage (upstream for the server, downstream for the clients) while providing the client with more snapshots to run prediction of.

In general generating a single snapshot every 3 frames is just fine, the client prediction code deals with this very well. In theory you could get less prediction errors by pushing out more snapshots, but in practise when you take the prediction done for latency into account as well, there will not be much of a noticeable difference.

(Capricious) #96

Ditto. What you got for CPU? Running C2D @ 2.4ghz.

It shouldn’t be this way, but its appearing that cpu plays a big role in the performance of this game.

(Smooth) #97

[quote=Capricious;334957]Ditto. What you got for CPU? Running C2D @ 2.4ghz.

It shouldn’t be this way, but its appearing that cpu plays a big role in the performance of this game.[/quote]

An Intel C2D 2.4ghz is the minimum spec for BRINK. With that you’re almost certainly going to be CPU limited.

(legend123) #98

From one of sds earlier games (W:ET) the game was more cpu power dependant than video cards. It really gave a boost performance wise.
Maybe the same is true here (im not sure how ET:QW was)?

I have also seen in the past that people who have crossfire have some problems.
Do you use crossfire for that card?

(DeeTwo) #99

[QUOTE=Capricious;334957]Ditto. What you got for CPU? Running C2D @ 2.4ghz.

It shouldn’t be this way, but its appearing that cpu plays a big role in the performance of this game.[/QUOTE]

Same boat prepatch(not tested with the latest yet) with a c2d 3gig an a 4870, oddly the 10.12 drivers give me a more stable performance (a roundish 40 with the fps config @ 1200x800). Having seen BF3 at E3 Im kinda loathed to even contemplate upgrading anything till September.

(trollface) #100

Theres still autolook when buffing for me.