[MAP RELEASE] Dingenskirchen - a tribute

(Mateos) #81

I was in charge of the waypoints, which are in the OB repo atm ^^’

(KeMoN) #82

True, but like we talked, I think it is better to not work on them anymore, since they wont be usable for the beta 2 map.

Huh, I guess I should reduce DirtyBomb time and get back to mapping for ET :smiley:

(webDogster) #83

We’ll happily remake the bots for any beta version you come up with Kemon we have an excellent bot maker who is a total RTCW junkie so he’ll happily work on any map you make. Our problem has always been scripting for maps we have several that we need additional spawnpoints made for if there is an idiot friendly tutorial out there or someone who could assist we’d be truly grateful!
regards
WeBDoGSter

(ailmanki) #84

There is no definitive Guide I guess, as each map is different. In the end it boils down to add entities at the rights spot, edit script and done…
I will not support “private” modifications, but otherwise start a topic here, and plenty of mappers and I will help.

Else look at existing modifications, compare with original and learn from it.

(Teuthis) #85

I know that a lot of people step back from mapping because of the script. In fact I recently started making a pro-scripting tutorial series that focuses on everything related to scripting. The series comprises at least 16 tutorials, some are already released here (including a spawn tutorial)

http://www.thewolfteam.org/cmdownloads/

Finally, the reason TWT was founded was that mapper/coder have a platform Where they will find help and support. I am fully supportive in helping others with their projects and where else do you find people that make models just for you to put them into your project.

I encourage everyone interest in making maps and those actively mapping to join this community. You can only win

(Mateos) #86

Hmm, in this case it is about ETPro scripting, which requires to either decompile the map and place entities to get the right position, or guess approximately the values, and then modify the script with ETPro keywords :stuck_out_tongue:

I recall making an Excel sheet to generate the values to put in the script from the origin keys of the placed entities, might dig it

(Teuthis) #87

[QUOTE=Mateos;540910]Hmm, in this case it is about ETPro scripting, which requires to either decompile the map and place entities to get the right position, or guess approximately the values, and then modify the script with ETPro keywords :stuck_out_tongue:

I recall making an Excel sheet to generate the values to put in the script from the origin keys of the placed entities, might dig it[/QUOTE]

thanks for clarification mateos. you see, help is available from all angles and that’s what I like here so much :slight_smile:

(Teuthis) #88

[QUOTE=KeMoN;540876]

Huh, I guess I should reduce DirtyBomb time and get back to mapping for ET :D[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes you should :wink:

(KeMoN) #89

Dingenskirchen Beta 2
----- Custom map for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory -----

It is finally done! 3 years after the initial beta 1 release, we are happy to release a substantially re-worked and improved version of ‘Dingenskirchen - a tribute’.

This map is a collaboration between phisherman and me and the result of, in total, more than 4 years of more or less continuous development. It was created as a tribute to the good old times of RtCW. We hope it will bring back some memories to the old-schoolers amongst you.
Since this is the second public release, any feedback (ranging from bad texture-alignment to glitches) is welcome.

-----Story-----

December 1944: The noose tightens around the Reich’s neck as Allied forces threaten to cross the Siegfried Line and advance into Germany. In a strategy meeting in an Eifel castle, Kraut high command has worked out plans on how to repel the invaders. Allied intelligence wants these plans destroyed before they can be distributed to the front line.

This map has three main objectives instead of one, two of which must be completed by the Allies in order to win the match. This was done in an attempt to prevent the massive objective camping by the defending team on some maps.

-----Beta 2-----

[ul]
[li]The primary subject of the complaints about the first beta were low FPS, which rendered the map virtually unplayable as soon as some action came into play (support fires, explosives etc). Due to the initial openness of the map, which didn’t allow for any vis-blocking, a substantial rework of the basic layout was necessary. As a result, the openness has been ditched in favor of a mountain range in the center. This separates the map into two outer parts, village and river/tram. The third part is the castle, which still rests comfortably on top of everything awing the puny player. It was an intentional design choice to keep the castle visible in both outer parts of the map. This obviously means that on the very top of the castle’s Bergfried you will see the entire map, which will drain your FPS. This has no huge impact on gameplay, as the Bergfried basically just serves as a cinematic lookout and has no purpose regarding the main objective. If you decide to camp on the Bergfried, we can’t help you.[/li]

[li]Another big issue was the cluttered castle layout, which made people get lost in the corridors and staircases. The castle interior derived from the Singleplayer structure of the first two RtCW levels and thus, did not look as streamlined as the Multiplayer maps we are all used to. The castle layout has since been improved: Staircases have been reduced to a minimum and all doorways have been set to a wider opening size, allowing for quick movement. There is now also proper routing inside the castle, which allows a bit diversity while still creating viable chokepoints. The overall castle has also received a visual remake increasing the nostalgic effect for the RTCW players among you.[/li]

[li]The rather large pk3 size when comparing the map to other custom ET maps has been reported by many as well. A map is downloaded once in your entire ET career (unless you re-install). Modern internet connections aren’t as shabby as they used to be. Hence, the pk3 size has increased from 50mb in beta 1 to 60mb in beta 2. There will never be a ‘light’ version.[/li]

[li]We have also received complaints about the Nazi symbolism in the map. The banners have been present in RtCW and leaving them out would (in our opinion) take away some of the original atmosphere. You are playing a World-War 2 shooter game. Denying the fact that the Axis were actual Nazis is denying history. Never deny history, learn from it! Don’t fear symbols, remember what they stand for and never let it happen again![/ul][/li]

-----The End?-----

We consider this beta to be the final version of the map. However, you can never know what issues may arise, so we released it as a second beta. Depending on the feedback we receive there might be a third, final version of this map, however it will not receive another total make-over.
The .map source-file is planned to be released with the final version. If this version is the final one, then we will release the source-file in the coming months. However, we first want to wait for the feedback.
If you find script bugs, map glitches or new places for binocs, please report them to us.

-----Download-----

ModDB

Mirror #1: Magic’s Territory
Mirror #2: Wolffiles
Mirror #3: Trackbase
Mirror #4: Dark Alchemy
Mirror #5: Wolfenstein4ever

Sourcefiles

-----Specs-----

Author: keMoN & phisherman
Brush count: 24.541 [b1: 15.710]
Entity count (total): 2.680 [b1: 1.607]
Entity count (clean): 557 [b1: 431] (without misc_model, func_group, splines, light, worldspawn)
Compile time: 5 hrs 28 min [b1: ~8-10 hrs]
Development time since last version: 3 years

-----Thanks to-----

(-SSF-Sage) #90

Well done! Congratulations on the release! I have enjoyed playing beta 1 and looking from the screenshots I will enjoy beta 2 aswell. Very well made map.

(SiNRay) #91

Thanks for releasing a new version.:slight_smile: Awesome job @Kemon :wink:

(KeMoN) #92

Thank you for the nice feedback. I hope everyone enjoys playing the map.

There are neither waypoints nor a bot script available. The bot files from beta 1 are not useable on beta 2, so there is currently no support. We hope for some volunteers to take over the bot issue.

(Mateos) #93

[QUOTE=KeMoN;561455]Thank you for the nice feedback. I hope everyone enjoys playing the map.

There are neither waypoints nor a bot script available. The bot files from beta 1 are not useable on beta 2, so there is currently no support. We hope for some volunteers to take over the bot issue.[/QUOTE]

https://app.assembla.com/spaces/omnibot/tickets/152-dingenskirchen-(beta-2)/details#

Will do my best to deliver quickly, but can’t promise anything ^^’

(WuTangH) #94

That fog ended up really nice :slight_smile: …after all those texture-scale fails :smiley:

(KeMoN) #95

Thank you for taking on the bot issue, Mateos.

Agreed, that fog definitely came a long way from beta 1. Thank you for the debugging help.
I hope you enjoyed the map so far? If there should still be issues, then please report them here.

Cheers

(Teuthis) #96

Very nice that you’ve worked out a new version kemon. I always liked the map. The map name is debatable, but the map is awesome :slight_smile:

Dir wär bestimmt ein gescheiterer Name eingefallen, aber die map ist echt lecker :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #97

Early waypoints: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw9rai8sppa76c9/dingenskirchen_b2_waypoints.zip?dl=0

Status is: An Allied Engi bot can finish the map on its own. Both teams should follow the action until the castle, just like Beta 1, but nobody rushes the obj dropoff yet ^^’

(KeMoN) #98

Thank you all for the warm words and especially Mateos for taking on the bot issue. At least they are already moving now, that’s a solid start! :+1:

Also thanks to the UJE clan for directly putting the map on their server rotation again.

(Magic) #99

Stunning work KeMon - will have to join the UJE server for some rounds on this one.
I tested both B1 and B2 today locally- and i see you have put in a lot of times in this version - great work.

(KeMoN) #100

Thank you, Magic!
I’m also looking forward to playing with humans on the UJE server again. So far it looks like gameplay works out smoothly, however the timelimit is a bit short. We’ll see if we have to do something about that.
I would link your mirror in the post above, but it seems that it is broken. Could you maybe look into this? Maybe the pk3 got corrupted during upload or something.

Thank you again, my friend :slight_smile:
See you on UJE