It's not up to thread starters to decide over tags

(tokamak) #1

Thread starters shouldn’t be able to remove tags made by other people any more than they should be able to remove posts by other people. Yes tags can get silly, but so can forum posts. The value of tags ought to be that the reflect whatever the community values and not what thread-makers tolerate.

(badman) #2

That’s an interesting stance - the other side of it is that the thread starter should be able to keep their thread’s tags clear of inappropriate stuff / tag griefing. Admittedly neither solution is perfect, so it’s about finding the one that provides the most acceptable results most of the time. Thoughts?

(Nail) #3

I agree the tags should be under thread starter’s control, they’re not there for other member’s amusement

(DarkangelUK) #4

Seems the tag abuse is getting out of control again. I say keep in control of the thread starter… but does anyone really moderate their own threads any way?

(Apples) #5

I didnt even know you can moderate your own thread…

I loooove the taggin tho (No I’m not the spamfester you think I am ^^)! Well as long as its not offensive I think the uber tag can be quite funny, is anyone really looking for tags to get an answer anyway? If people are really looking to see if there is already a thread about their subject they’ll find it, if they dont search beforehand (like 95% of the new threads…) they repost over and over “what are the minimum specs requirement” anyway…

Peace

(Herandar) #6

Ditto. I’m going to go clean up my threads right now!

(Breo) #7

Well I noticed more useless tags then posts lately…

Only let ppl add tags when they replied in the thread and place it under their own post? With other words not anonymously.

(DarkangelUK) #8

How about the option on thread creation to allow tags or not. Can we also impose a single word limit as well?

(badman) #9

Given the recent out-of-controlness of tags, only thread owners are currently permitted to add tags to their thread. We’ll be reviewing this issue in the future and look at ways to open things up again without them catching fire or exploding.

(tokamak) #10

I see it this way: People don’t ‘own’ threads, they intiate them. The moment they press ‘create thread’ the entire topic becomes public property. From there on it’s up to the entire forum community to decide what direction a thread takes (this doesn’t mean going off-topic).

Just apply the same arguments to the responses the original topic.

As for the rest, people ought to know that tags are not anonymous to the moderators and that the forum rules regarding harassment and personal attacks still apply. Treating it the same as a post isn’t more work to the moderators.

Well I noticed more useless tags then posts lately…

Posts and tags don’t exclude each other.

(Herandar) #11

Ah, but the very best tags were amusing to the other members.

I agree with tokamak’s stance above.

I personally don’t mind when threads go off-topic, as long as they remain interesting and stimulate discussion, but I realize that is just my opinion.

(Humate) #12

The tag system, while its supposed to be an organisational tool, the anonymity aspect of it, and the very blunt nature of the tags correlate with how the Resistance choose to communicate their feelings to the Ark population. Therefore this system could not be any more fitting for this forum.

massive cough x 100

(Nail) #13

tags gone, all good

(Crytiqal) #14

thanks alot brother chen! a**hole

(tokamak) #15

So I guess that means that when posts go out of hand, only post-creators will be able to post in their own threads?

(DarkangelUK) #16

No… no one can post as they get locked.

(jRAD) #17

Threads are quite different to tags. Most importantly, there’s a direct accountability for a poster in a thread that’s not present for someone anonymously adding a tag.

(tokamak) #18

There’s a direct accountability for both. I know tags aren’t anonymous to mods. People ought to receive infractions for not behaving properly regardless of the medium.

(DarkangelUK) #19

Another thing users have to be moderated on… I doubt the mods neither have willingness nor the time to moderate all the tags. They were rendered useless, and really… how many people actually used them as intended?

(tokamak) #20

Moderating tags isn’t more work than moderating posts.

Their intention was pointless anyway, the search function is far superior as it doesn’t rely on people actually using them. At least now they offer comedy value by forcing a 25 character limit.

Obviously a superior system would be an automated tag system that added tags based on the frequency the word is used in the thread, even more advanced would be a comparison to other threads and which words stand out. But that’s future babble.