It's not up to thread starters to decide over tags

(jRAD) #21

They’re not available without direct database hackery, which isn’t available to most mods.

Yes it is. :slight_smile:

(tokamak) #22

Weird, on other forums I can easily see the tag’s authors as a mod. Well that makes it understandable. It’s a fun novelty but not worth extra resources.

(Humate) #23

yeh, what a bastard!

(badman) #24

Got links? Maybe this was added in vb4, would be curious to find out.

(tokamak) #25

3.8.5 is one of them. You mouse over the tag and you see the author.

Here’s the trick to reveal it to all users, that would stop the anonymous grief dead in it’s tracks.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=187148

(mortis) #26

I have been getting seriously annoyed by the OT tags, even though some were amusing, as they are essentially a form of thread spam. I do look at the tags to judge the content of a thread, and I add tags when an important tagless topic comes up. It is the anonymous nature of the tags that is the problem; if that can be removed, then the offenders could be easily identified…and punished.

(mortis) #27

Normal person + anonymous, consequence free environment = instant obnoxious idiot

(Apples) #28

Some people really need their chill pills shipment to be delivered :rolleyes:

Most of the tags are just the title keywords, do you really gain time by using these? I pretty much doubt it but heh, its up to you.

Peace

(shagileo) #29

[quote=tokamak;272891]

Here’s the trick to reveal it to all users, that would stop the anonymous grief dead in it’s tracks.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=187148[/quote]

Uh oh :stroggtapir:

No really, tags are handy when used properly
The feature tokamak is talking about looks fair enough: people see who added tags - when immature or really OT Tags are placed, action can be taken.

(UJERebel) #30

Maybe also a ‘report tag’ function? :slight_smile:

(tokamak) #31

Right now the easiest thing to do is to report yourself in the same thread that have objectional tags and explain your problem.

(badman) #32

This. Please report offending tags - we’ll take care of them and issue infractions where necessary.

(tokamak) #33

Have you looked into that ‘disable anonymous’ trick I posted?

(kamikazee) #34

[QUOTE=DarkangelUK;272723]Another thing users have to be moderated on… I doubt the mods neither have willingness nor the time to moderate all the tags. They were rendered useless, and really… how many people actually used them as intended?[/QUOTE]I did link up all staff interviews, certain news things, …
But I must agree I never really used the tags to navigate the forum.

Even though the SD tags are dead now, over on http://thedailywtf.com forums the tags are presented as part of a user’s post (they appear at the bottom of the post, under the signature).

(badman) #35

Alright, I’ve added the mod suggested by tokamak, so tag authors are now public. That also means that tagging is now once again possible for anyone even if they didn’t start the thread in question. Feedback is, as always, welcome.

(Herandar) #36

Yay! Thank you!

(tokamak) #37

Great. Now anyone can mouse-over to check the authors of the tags in the ‘edit tags’ section.

(badman) #38

Thanks for finding that btw!

(tokamak) #39

No problem, though I would still like to see the thread starter not being able to delete the tags made by other members (I just deleted herandar’s test tag)

(UJERebel) #40

Is it possible to see the mouseover also when not in the editiing part? thx:)