Is this cheating?

(EHHX) #1

If I bind both Fire and ADS into one key would that be considered cheating?

I would do this via the software that comes with my mouse btw.

(Mustang) #2

If the game will launch with the software running I don’t see why it would be a problem.

(EHHX) #3

I know some people have problems with macros but not all macros are op shitfests. mines just holds down ADS when i click fire and releases all the same. I sacrifice some things but it feels comfortable. I had to make sure.

(PariahDog) #4

No, but it it’s pants-on-head-retarded. Iron sights slow you down and get you killed. This ain’t call of dudebrah or banalfield. Hipfire is quite accurate in this game.

(EHHX) #5

so in cod or battlefield you’d consider it cheating?

(PariahDog) #6

No but in those you can’t hit the broad side of the baby jesus unless you sight in. Also I avoid garbo shooters like them.

(Mustang) #7

I think @PariahDog is saying that the spread reduction is not worth the movement penalty, against decent players you will die way more often than if you stayed hipfire and were able to strafe effectively.

If the reason you prefer it is for the FOV reduction, rather than the miniscule spread reduction, you’d be better with an FOV toggle, and just stay using hipfire.

Another benefit of using an FOV toggle instead is that you could, if you want, slowly reduce the amount of FOV reduction so until you no longer need to rely on it as a crutch.

As anyone who has played against me might know, I’m not a “Top 500” player - far from it. I like to think that as a gamer, my aim is above average, but I’m not quick enough to dominate Vassili (or main Widowmaker if that’s your game).

Personally, I do find value out of using ADS (weirdly, I have it set to “Toggle” in most games, but you should ask me about my non-standard keyboard mapping at another time) for medium-to-long ranged encounters, but only if I’m not taking damage, or if I think I can win the 1v1 versus a ranged opponent. In close-quarters fights, you’ll need the faster move speed over the tighter bullet spread.

Nope. You’re not making any modifications to game memory or game code, so you should be fine.

(Meetrock) #9

I don’t see it as cheating, but more like having an extra advantage over some other players who can’t bind both fire and ADS to the same button. But, you shouldn’t do so, some situation requires you to use ADS, I agree, but most of the time, you’re better off without it. I’ve been playing DB for a year now, and I rarely use ADS. Also keep in mind that some weapons (like SMG), are much much better without ADS, and some others (like the AK) are better with ADS. So just practice more with using mouse1 and mouse2.

(D'@athi) #10

So no bots and wh’s? Only Lagging through scripts, no-recoil-scripts, and hardwarestuff like a phisical lagswitch or some extra hw-client playing with your network-data? Ohh ok. That’s no stuff anybody would use for cheating.

(DarkangelUK) #11

What does that even mean? He asked if binding two actions to one mouse button would be considered cheating, was told no.

Dirty Bomb uses Dedicated Servers. There’s no benefit to be had by manipulating your own network traffic in a way that would only be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

(Mc1412013) #13

Nope i use my logitec software to bind long jump to my mouse scroll wheel right click

(bgyoshi) #14

This was a response to Maisy, who made it seem like any change that isn’t a game code change isn’t cheating, and then listed a bunch of very cheaty non-code changes people do, and listed them in an obviously facetious manner likely to get a chortle out of readers.

It was not a response to the OP

(Press E) #15

Have you ever played with lag? If anything it’s a handicap. Sure you might managed to avoid 1 or 2 shots that would have hit you otherwise, but doing literally anything while laggy in DB is horrible. Your shots don’t register, you get hit behind cover, everything rubberbands around including you, and if you keep going you run into even better issues like not being able to reload or switch weapons.

Also a reload script seems pointless in this game, since most weapons barely have any recoil whatsoever

(DarkangelUK) #16

Maisy responded directly to the OP’s question so I don’t see how that leap was made.

(D'@athi) #17

Dunno, in my opinion, the “rule” “no changes to memory or engine” did sound kinda naiv, at first, as the stuff I put down is quite some real and annoying problem in other games.
But as DB is using dedicated servers, I guess I will be able to sleep peacefully, again.
Thx.

(bgyoshi) #18

… what?

Uh… let’s break it down for you I guess?

This implies anything that doesn’t modify game memory or code is not considered cheating

These modify game memory or code, making them cheating by Maisy’s implication

None of these require modifications to the game memory or code, implying they aren’t cheating. But they’re considered cheating in pretty much all other 1st person shooters.

The leap is… very small to connect these dots.

(DarkangelUK) #19

That’s a leap, to me it doesn’t mean that ANYTHING that doesn’t do that isnt considered cheating, it means that the OP outlined exactly what they were doing and the reply was completely given with that context in mind. OP asked if using 2 binds on one button via software is cheating, answer given in context, the context being that the software doesnt modify game memory or code to achieve its goal so it would be flagged by EAC. If OP said “can I use lagswitch/wallhack/insert shitty mechanic here” then Im sure the answer IN CONTEXT would be ‘no that’s considered cheating’.

Basically saying that this specific action that doesn’t modify the memory or code isn’t cheating isn’t the same as saying EVERY action that doesnt modify the memory or code isn’t cheating… context is very very important.

(bgyoshi) #21

Please point out this context as my own search for the word “EAC” returns the word “peacefully” and your post. No one here has mentioned EAC, regarded EAC, or otherwise made it a consideration. The context here is “Is binding these two keys considered cheating?” The answer is “No.” and the reasoning is “You’re not making any modifications to game memory or game code.” That’s the context. That reasoning implicates that anything which doesn’t meet that criteria is not cheating.

EAC is an extrapolation implicated but not stated by the question… just like this “leap” that’s confused you.

im¡pli¡cate
/ˈimpləˌkāt/
verb

1. convey (a meaning or intention) indirectly through what one says, rather than stating it explicitly; imply.