Is Rhino considered "Balanced" ?

(meekPentacle) #1

It feels like past the point of playing against low skill players he no longer has a place. The minigun is far too inaccurate so hitting anyone for any viable damage past maybe a few feet away from you seems impossible, you’re too slow to really dodge the people pumping bullets into your because you’re too slow, and there are plenty of characters that are still capable of easily dueling you in close range and destroying you.

So the point is does rhino even have a proper place in the game?

(frostyvampire) #2

He might seem really bad because his inaccuracy and slowness, but don’t forget that he has 200 health and his minigun deals insane DPS.
While he sucks in long range fights and at retaking a site, he is one of the best options on close range defense. Such as Underground first site and generator on Bridge.

A Rhino in Underground is one of the most OP things in the game and also you have to trust me when I tell you you don’t want to be playing against 4 Rhinos’ + 1 Aura, especially on Underground

(MisterBadmin) #3

Most people will say that Rhino isn’t bad, just too situational.

In pubs, you can absolutely destroy people, even on offense, because they don’t coordinate. Just one person making a callout that “Rhino is going [Location]”, and your team can take him down. (I know because I callout where Rhino is roaming, and his head is such a lovely target.)

In competitive formats, he’s a joke. Coordinated teams will focus him. Rhino might get a kill or two, but if he doesn’t get both medics, everyone is still alive and fighting. There’s not much reason to run Rhino over Fragger.

Rhino is a close range monster. No other weapon can rival the DPS of the minigun, so it can only really be used at close to mid range. The current meta is based around mid to long range engagements, making him even more irrelevant.

The problem in buffing him is twofold. Buff the range on the minigun, and now he’s too versatile. Give him mobility and he can then gapclose, removing the one weakness he has.

I don’t like playing Rhino. I find him too slow in a fast paced game. His playstyle doesn’t encourage good duels, it encourages flanking or camping with close range, high damage weapons.

(meekPentacle) #4

[quote=“MisterBadmin;193123”].

The problem in buffing him is twofold. Buff the range on the minigun, and now he’s too versatile. Give him mobility and he can then gapclose, removing the one weakness he has.
[/quote]

What about removing/reducing the spread on the minigun?

(watsyurdeal) #5

Rhino is one of those mercs that offers nothing of value to the game.

He’s annoying as hell to deal with on pubs, but is rarely if ever used in higher levels of play because of how easy he is to counter as a team.

So, really he’s just not worth fixing imo, I’d much rather we just forget he’s there.

(MisterBadmin) #6

[quote=“meekPentacle;193344”][quote=“MisterBadmin;193123”].

[/quote]

What about removing/reducing the spread on the minigun? [/quote]

That’s what I meant by range buff. It already has usable range, it just isn’t reliable past shotgun range.

If you drop the spread on it, it becomes a really big Timik with infinite ammo and no reload. Sound balanced? If it does, please think again.

(watsyurdeal) #7

[quote=“MisterBadmin;193376”][quote=“meekPentacle;193344”][quote=“MisterBadmin;193123”].

[/quote]

What about removing/reducing the spread on the minigun? [/quote]

That’s what I meant by range buff. It already has usable range, it just isn’t reliable past shotgun range.

If you drop the spread on it, it becomes a really big Timik with infinite ammo and no reload. Sound balanced? If it does, please think again.[/quote]

It would need to become a primary weapon then, a weapon like that with infinite ammo and barely any penalty?

Come on now

(SaulWolfden) #8

He’s incredibly niche, he’s balanced well for that niche, but not much else. He dominates in closed areas where enemies can’t run from him. His entire purpose is to mow people down.

(solace_) #9

“balanced” definitely not. But OP? I don’t think so. One of the easiest to counter mercs in the game.

I really wish they would somehow make him more viable at more than just spitting distance. Perhaps decrease spread but increase damage drop off? Increase movement speed but decrease minigun damage? I dunno.

(TheStrangerous) #10

Ironic thing is, you’re better off without using his minigun, which is the exact opposite of what he’s supposed to be played.

2 words: Fat Scout

(Naonna) #11

My solution - it’s a start:

Reduce maximum spread on the mini-gun, and increase its minimum spread - having less variance in the cone of fire makes it more consistent. - Boost the base damage and remove head shot multipliers for it too, please. 1 bullet doing 300 damage is a bit stupid, when you aren’t really aiming said bullet.

(Ohsnapkline) #12

been fat scouting like a boss on that new gallery map though

(LifeupOmega) #13

Offers nothing to the game outside of a few specific spots, doesn’t fit with what the game advertised: fast paced, aim reliant, incredibly dull to fight and play. Would rather see a complete overhaul to make him actually fit into the game and fit his name, unless we consider ourselves poachers, in which case his name is hilariously fitting.

I wish we had a real assault merc but instead we got… this.

(hoyes) #14

I was thinking about making the minigun super accurate at all ranges but then reducing the damage to maybe 8 and making it overheat quicker. They could also give a slight increase to his speed, to make him more enjoyable to play so u don’t feel so slow and useless.

(LifeupOmega) #15

And less enjoyable for everyone else when they get skillcannoned across the map, which can already happen anyway.

(JonBongNoJovi) #16

Maybe give him a secondary skill along the lines of a melee rush skill , allow him to quickly close the gap in 5-10m dash move incorparating melee , 25/30 second cool down.

(Naonna) #17

As seen in the merc video, Rhino’s weakness is meant to be his limited range and mobility. Removing that may be a bit too much of a buff.

(hoyes) #18

Id rather they increase the starting spread, but make it so the spread over time doesn’t increase whilst shooting, making it more effective at suppressing enemies, and giving a reason to use ice cold.

(Naonna) #19

Most firefights are done at range: so unless you’re on underground, that modification would make rhino even less viable on maps like dome than he already is.

(Szakalot) #20

no idea what merc can duel a rhino at close range and win. Yeah, you might be dropped by a shotgun flank, with two hits before your minigun starts firing.

300 DPS is more than twice that of any other gun in the game. If your minigun is ready you can shred absolutely anyone up close. If you can’t - you are doing it wrong.

Rhino is fine, a situational pick, thats obviously too situational for comp, but can be a blast on pubs; and often changes the dynamic of the fight.