Is Rhino considered "Balanced" ?

(JJMAJR) #21

Okay, list of problems:

300 DPS doesn’t mean squat when Rhino’s minigun has enormous recoil.
Decreasing that recoil would cause worse problems.
Rhino should have abilities which could give him more of a competitive advantage.
People are still concerned about pubs.
Rhino’s a generic high-CQ-DPS character; Heavy at least can multiclass into Medic.
Rhino’s best strategy is fat scout.

Therefore, make Rhino able to do fat scout more easily, so that in competitive he could become a much better character to use.

(Szakalot) #22

you mean spread, not recoil. Recoil (in this game) is the amount your cursor moves around when you fire. Spread is the cone of fire of your bullets, that gets larger.

The first ~20 minigun bullets are fairly accurate, you can mow people down with a burst to the head.

(Equanimity) #23

[quote=“Szakalot;195561”]you mean spread, not recoil. Recoil (in this game) is the amount your cursor moves around when you fire. Spread is the cone of fire of your bullets, that gets larger.

The first ~20 minigun bullets are fairly accurate, you can mow people down with a burst to the head.[/quote]

Not to mention with well timed ‘taps’ you can maintain minimum spread with an insignificant decrease to DPS for reliable mid range accuracy.

(Tanker_Ray) #24

His main problem is being way too situational

[b]- too dependant on medics

• suck at far distance
  • Unable to Attack unless enemy Defenders [/b]

But unlike unstable Thunder,

his pros are way too huge.

Noob Rhinos are delicious juicy 200XP + 100XP finish, but well played Rhino + Aura collaborative is just freakin hell.

need that Fragger Stoker Nader combo to beat him.

(Ptiloui) #25

Everybody’s talking only about Underground being the only map to play him but there is a lot of spots where he can wonderfully do his defender’s job, globally every close quarter spots of each maps, and every map has their own.

This, lot of people forget about his primary weapon, which is in many situation more efficient than his minigun.

(Szakalot) #26

There are indeed a few situations where shotgun is better, like when you are pushing and need to get out of choke, or you are chasing someone down. S&W is okay sa well to use at longer ranges, Rhino can peek-fire and abuse his high HP.

Minigun is the go-to weapon in any other scenario though.

Bridge has a lot of rhino-friendly spots, and even on trainyard Rhino can be really hard to push off the first 1obj generator area.

(hoyes) #27

I can’t tell you how many rhinos i have beat with stark thunder, with them shooting first, at close range. I don’t jnow how, but i find it extremely ridiculous and therefore i do think the minigun should be buffed, preferably accuracy,as you would be able to take advantage of this high dps at further ranges, which would make him less dependent on an aura, as he would be more effective at range.

(Szakalot) #28

Rhino is more likely to be picked by weak players. He is easy to use, and get kills with at that lvl. So indeed, you are more likely to encounter weak Rhinos, who can be outmaneuvered even in close quarters.

That does not mean that excellent players are not potent with Rhino. I’ve seen some people that indeed make any peaking in closer quarters extremely punishing.

I think it would be okay if the burst-minigun accuracy was indeed just a bit higher, making him little less situational; but you will get a LOT of rage if a good player picks him and becomes literally unstoppable.

(Vaasref) #29

Just revert the jump spread on the minigun and it’ll be good.

Since the speard nerf, I had to unlearn jump-spinning.

And it is even more frustrating when you are against pesky Hochfir or shotguns since they can jump everywhere and remain fairly accurate since the maximum spread is good enough.

Jump-spinning gave Rhino a DB feel.

(JJMAJR) #30

Doesn’t that happen with any kind of weapon or ability?

(Szakalot) #31

Doesn’t that happen with any kind of weapon or ability?[/quote]

the problem here is that rhino is MUCH easier to use than most mercs at low levels. You can pick rhino if you never played a single game and camp close quarters - suddenly you have twice the hp and 2-3x the DPS of everyone else (because everyone’s aim sucks).

Buffing rhino more in this situations can be dangerous.

I pick Rhino once in a while, and If i have a good/dedicated medic by my side, at least one person on the enemy team will rage that im playing Rhino.

I’d imagine the rage to be much higher in low lvl servers where people have no clue how to counter, and in a straight up fight they just dont stand a chance.

(Wolf_Darkrose) #32

[quote=“meekPentacle;31278”]It feels like past the point of playing against low skill players he no longer has a place. The minigun is far too inaccurate so hitting anyone for any viable damage past maybe a few feet away from you seems impossible, you’re too slow to really dodge the people pumping bullets into your because you’re too slow, and there are plenty of characters that are still capable of easily dueling you in close range and destroying you.

So the point is does rhino even have a proper place in the game?[/quote]

rhino has a place he is the TANK he sits and waits … aka he is the camper most the time… which drives me mad is how can you get headshots with a rhino and maybe make it so he cant… after all you have a unlimited clip and huge DPS why add headshots onto that ??

(Szakalot) #33

[quote=“WolfDarkrose;196461”][quote=“meekPentacle;31278”]It feels like past the point of playing against low skill players he no longer has a place. The minigun is far too inaccurate so hitting anyone for any viable damage past maybe a few feet away from you seems impossible, you’re too slow to really dodge the people pumping bullets into your because you’re too slow, and there are plenty of characters that are still capable of easily dueling you in close range and destroying you.

So the point is does rhino even have a proper place in the game?[/quote]

rhino has a place he is the TANK he sits and waits … aka he is the camper most the time… which drives me mad is how can you get headshots with a rhino and maybe make it so he cant… after all you have a unlimited clip and huge DPS why add headshots onto that ??[/quote]

being able to headshot with the minigun is the only thing that keeps it viable

Minigun body DPS : 300

Burst rifle headshot DPS ~ 280

(JJMAJR) #34

Doesn’t that happen with any kind of weapon or ability?[/quote]

the problem here is that rhino is MUCH easier to use than most mercs at low levels. You can pick rhino if you never played a single game and camp close quarters - suddenly you have twice the hp and 2-3x the DPS of everyone else (because everyone’s aim sucks).

Buffing rhino more in this situations can be dangerous.

I pick Rhino once in a while, and If i have a good/dedicated medic by my side, at least one person on the enemy team will rage that im playing Rhino.

I’d imagine the rage to be much higher in low lvl servers where people have no clue how to counter, and in a straight up fight they just dont stand a chance.[/quote]

SD should really focus on balancing the game for higher level play instead of on low levels that don’t know what they’re doing.

(HadronZodiac) #35

@frostyvampire said:
He might seem really bad because his inaccuracy and slowness, but don’t forget that he has 200 health and his minigun deals insane DPS.
While he sucks in long range fights and at retaking a site, he is one of the best options on close range defense. Such as Underground first site and generator on Bridge.

A Rhino in Underground is one of the most OP things in the game and also you have to trust me when I tell you you don’t want to be playing against 4 Rhinos’ + 1 Aura, especially on Underground

And by long range im assuming more than half a centimer

(HadronZodiac) #36

@watsyurdeal said:
MisterBadmin wrote: »

meekPentacle wrote: »

The problem in buffing him is twofold. Buff the range on the minigun, and now he’s too versatile. Give him mobility and he can then gapclose, removing the one weakness he has.

What about removing/reducing the spread on the minigun?

That’s what I meant by range buff. It already has usable range, it just isn’t reliable past shotgun range.

If you drop the spread on it, it becomes a really big Timik with infinite ammo and no reload. Sound balanced? If it does, please think again.

It would need to become a primary weapon then, a weapon like that with infinite ammo and barely any penalty?

Come on now

Make him like hunter and sparks, ability is his weapon, both of his main weapons are secondaries

(Your worst knifemare.) #37

This is a really old thread…

(GatoCommodore) #38

@HadronZodiac said:

@watsyurdeal said:

meekPentacle wrote: »

The problem in buffing him is twofold. Buff the range on the minigun, and now he’s too versatile. Give him mobility and he can then gapclose, removing the one weakness he has.

What about removing/reducing the spread on the minigun?

That’s what I meant by range buff. It already has usable range, it just isn’t reliable past shotgun range.

If you drop the spread on it, it becomes a really big Timik with infinite ammo and no reload. Sound balanced? If it does, please think again.

It would need to become a primary weapon then, a weapon like that with infinite ammo and barely any penalty?

Come on now

Make him like hunter and sparks, ability is his weapon, both of his main weapons are secondaries