Installing ET on Windows 7

(acQu) #1

This should help you get ET running on Windows 7. If i forgot something feel free to correct me.

(Note: reworked the article and skipped the patching part. If you follow this article you will download yourself a already patched 2.6b version of this game. There are still 2.55 and 2.6 versions floating around the web. This article will not show how to patch from e.g. 2.55 to 2.6b).

1. First get yourself the game. Download it here: http://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=17

2. Next you need to install what you just downloaded in a directory where you got full admin privileges. By default a directory like C:\Users\MyUserName\MyWetInstallHere should do the trick.

After the installation it might ask you if it should reinstall, because something probably could have been gone wrong. Simply click ā€˜noā€™. We already did install the game correctly, so there is no need to reinstall.

1. Because Punkbuster (the Anti-Cheat-Software) dropped support, you need to download yourself an etkey from etkey.org, otherwise you will get kicked or your xp wonā€™t save on certain servers. Download it here: http://etkey.org/ Click on ā€˜Get an ETKEYā€™, save the file, then copy paste it into your etmain folder (etmain is located in your ET installation path).

2. Start the ET process with administrator rights and make yourself a profile. Make sure your connection settings are set correct. I have Lan/Cable/xDSL.

(Starting ET with administrator rights goes with righ-click on et.exe, and there choose ā€˜start as adminā€™.

1. Make sure your firewall lets ET connect to the internet.

2. Done!

#Questions, problems? Just post them here, so that i can improve the text.

(Patriotqube) #2

skip the patching part and download a Wolfenstein Ultimate installer, where all the work is already done for you.

also if game feels laggy, which can happen on multicore pcā€™s, make sure the game is processed on 1 cpu only.

(acQu) #3

Never was a fan of those install packages.

(stealth6) #4

I can add that I installed the game under:
Program Files(x86)/Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

I have UAC on the lowest setting and I donā€™t have to run the game as administrator. (Maybe it does it for me or it has something to do with UAC?) Anyway just putting that out there.

Also I prefer [NM]'s method to full installer, Iā€™ve had 3 bad experiences with the ā€œultimate installerā€

(acQu) #5

[QUOTE=stealth6;355926]I can add that I installed the game under:
Program Files(x86)/Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

I have UAC on the lowest setting and I donā€™t have to run the game as administrator. (Maybe it does it for me or it has something to do with UAC?) Anyway just putting that out there.

Also I prefer [NM]'s method to full installer, Iā€™ve had 3 bad experiences with the ā€œultimate installerā€[/QUOTE]

Yes, ā€œultimate installerā€ i never downloaded. Too much extra downloads + maybe other stupid stuff.

UAC at lowest settings is something i should probably try. I just explained it the way for a windows 7 for now, like it comes with the default settings. And i think you will have write protection on folders like program files(x86) there. Also, when i do not start it as admin, ET, or better PB, weirdly gives me something about ā€œOS privilegesā€, and kicks me off the server.

(Patriotqube) #6

well thats your opinion

I have nothing but good experiences with it so does most in communities im normally involved with

(Kumparan) #7

Where do you find ā€˜Full Gameā€™ on the Splash Damage download page? I clicked the download button,but it instantly downloads the 2.60b patch and nothing else XP

(gaoesa) #8

http://www.splashdamage.com/content/download-wolfenstein-enemy-territory

Click on the ā€œDownload Wolf: ET for Windowsā€ button. It will download full installer (258 MB). The installer is 2.60b.

(Mateos) #9

Answered your other postā€¦

http://forums.warchestgames.com/showthread.php/31765-Your-ET-Gaming-Experience-as-a-newbie-the-State-of-the-Art?p=401139&viewfull=1#post401139

(cheesy) #10

orā€¦just run this utility and eliminate all the windows 7 steps. It updates your ET, regardless of patch.

ET Ready Utility

(acQu) #11

This was a problem with the deprecated links. Splash Damage lately made a huge shift of their site layout and changed alot of stuff, e.g. links this thread depends on. I therefore updated (i hope) all links and now hope that everything works.

And again, the above descriptions are just for persons who manually like to update their ET (oldschool guys hehe). Installer links however have been also given and are supported. What i am not satisfied with is that the links at SD are to trackbase. 1) they should host their own game with their own native dowloads and not to some custom installer and 2) some stuff is not needed in these installers (e.g. Rudis Proxy service). But if you want additional abstraction and no needed stuff, then there you go, 1 click, and stay away from anything. But do not wonder if there is something wrong then, for example you get the wrong serverlist etc and what not.

The links at current SD site point to trackbase site. I still made a reference in the install instructions, but they are not recommended (see notes: step 1).

(acQu) #12

This was a problem with the deprecated links. Splash Damage lately made a huge shift of their site layout and changed alot of stuff, e.g. links this thread depends on. I therefore updated (i hope) all links and now hope that everything works.

And again, the above descriptions are just for persons who manually like to update their ET (oldschool guys hehe). Installer links however have been also given and are supported.

What i am not satisfied with however are that links of SD go to custom installers, because 1) they should host their own game with their own native dowloads and 2) some stuff in these installers is currently not needed at all and already caused some trouble (e.g. Rudis Proxy service).

But if you want additional abstraction and are a fan of 1 click herp derp. then there you go. Install and see for yourself. I am not a fan of this, e.g. you might get wrong serverlist and have additional trouble like no serverlist showing at all.

However, i still made a reference to these installers in this thread, although i do not recommended them (see notes: step 1).

(acQu) #13

And again, the above descriptions are just for persons who manually like to update/install their ET (oldschool guys hehe). Installer links however have been also given and are supported.

What i am not satisfied with however are that links of SD go to custom installers, because 1) they should host their own game with their own native dowloads and 2) some stuff in these installers is currently not needed at all and already caused some trouble (e.g. Rudis Proxy service).

But if you want additional abstraction and are a fan of 1 click herp derp, then there you go. 1 click install and see for yourself. However, i am not a fan of this, e.g. you might get wrong serverlist and have additional trouble like no serverlist showing at all.

Nevertheless i still made a reference to these installers in this thread, although i do not recommended them.

(acQu) #14

And again, the above descriptions are just for persons who manually like to update/install their ET (oldschool guys hehe). Installer links however have been also given and are (with grief) supported, although not recommended by me.

What i am not satisfied with however are that links of SD go to custom installers, because 1) they should host their own game with their own native dowloads and 2) some stuff in these installers is currently not needed at all and already caused some trouble.

(Shiuso) #15

hello I am from Brazil, I did not find here topics, I want to take this and ask for help, because I have a powerful laptop with video card windows 7, and the wolfstein and runs slowly, as if the video card was not supporting, what should I do? ? thank you

(Mustang) #16

Could be that itā€™s using integrated GPU rather than the dedicated GPU, not sure how to resolve it, maybe check GPU settings application to make sure itā€™s being used, and if not enable it.

(ronboy) #17

Hello, Shiuso. Try launching the game, then type in the console (~ key on your keyboard) /r_primitives 2 into the console and press the Enter key on your keyboard. If you have an AMD card for your laptopā€™s graphics, then itā€™s possible that the drivers are causing the lag that you are mentioning.