Idea for proxy rework

(Juhiis) #1

We all know how annoying proxy can be. And how people use the mines in way that requires no skill or thinking. so i think the mines should not be lethal but do something else, like slow the player down for period of time and make lets say 50 damage. so proxy would actually need to be present when they explode.

(GatoCommodore) #2

@Juhiis said:
We all know how annoying proxy can be. And how people use the mines in way that requires no skill or thinking. so i think the mines should not be lethal but do something else, like slow the player down for period of time and make lets say 50 damage. so proxy would actually need to be present when they explode.

that would only make proxy more crap than she is now

(Muddy Muddy Mud Nade) #3

Ehhh, nahh. If there’s one thing that people hate in FPS it’s slowing mechanics. I personally hate Thunder more than any other merc, including Phantom, Proxy, Fragger, etc., because of the slowing effect of the Concussion Grenade (especially when they combo it with a Javelin…). Giving that to another merc, especially an already annoying mosquito like Proxy, would just make me want to snap my neck.
Besides, forcing Proxy to be constantly camping around her mines kind of defeats the purpose of her character. She’s supposed to be highly mobile and always on her feet, and the Proxy mines are basically just supposed to be area denial/ignorance punishment, which is why I hate the drop-and-pop playstyle, since it removes pretty much all the skill that goes into a hit-and-runner (Tracer, Scout, etc.), and just gives her a free-kill button combo.
I think nerfing the damage would be ok, or just make it to where she can’t shoot it before it activates
Although, now that I think about it, the idea of a slowing deployable isn’t too bad of an idea. Just don’t give it to Proxy.

(Artyrim) #4

@Juhiis said:

For ALL abilities in the game you have just TO CLICK. You talk about SKILLS BUT you have problems with mines. Where the fuck are your skills? Aren’t you skilled enough to dodge a fuckin immobile mine???Use your hears ,you that fuckin augment to see mines for blind people like you

Stop smoking your fuckin weed and do whatever you were doing.

Only noobs have problems to deal with Proxy

As Proxy main i can say that i don’t have any problem with mines even when there are 2-3 proxy in the enemy team,and i even play without sound. Yes i can die 2-3 times from mines in a match but nothing more.
I have more deaths from Jevalin/fragger/nade and other spammy mercs than mines from proxy and she has 2 of them.

(Muddy Muddy Mud Nade) #5

@Artyrim said:

@Juhiis said:

For ALL abilities in the game you have just TO CLICK. You talk about SKILLS BUT you have problems with mines. Where the @$!# are your skills? Aren’t you skilled enough to dodge a @$!# immobile mine???Use your hears ,you that @$!# augment to see mines for blind people like you

Stop smoking your @$!# weed and do whatever you were doing.

As Proxy main i can say that i don’t have any problem with mines even when there are 2-3 proxy in the enemy team,and i even play without sound. Yes i can die 2-3 times from mines in a match but nothing more.
I have more deaths from Jevalin/fragger/nade and other spammy mercs than mines from proxy and she has 2 of them.

I’m sure you’re not biased at aaaaalllll.

(Artyrim) #6

@MuddyGrenade said:

@Artyrim said:

@Juhiis said:

For ALL abilities in the game you have just TO CLICK. You talk about SKILLS BUT you have problems with mines. Where the @$!# are your skills? Aren’t you skilled enough to dodge a @$!# immobile mine???Use your hears ,you that @$!# augment to see mines for blind people like you

I’m not .
Look, I plant a mine,ok? I leave it on the floor all alone and if you come and bother my mine then is your fallout . You can’t blame the mine,blame yourself and don’t stay near them. They are shy

(Muddy Muddy Mud Nade) #7

@Artyrim said:

@MuddyGrenade said:

@Artyrim said:

@Juhiis said:

I’m not .
Look, I plant a mine,ok? I leave it on the floor all alone and if you come and bother my mine then is your fallout . You can’t blame the mine,blame yourself and don’t stay near them. They are shy

Oh this is what you were talking about, lol. My bad.
I thought you were talking about the whole “drop-and-pop” thing.
I agree with you on this. Dying to a random mine around a corner or something is your own fault.
My b.

(Juhiis) #8

well goddamn, no one likes my idea. oh well, maybe i just need to stop listening to music while playing

(Press E) #9

Proxy is already very limited in terms of usefulness. She’s alright most of the time in PUBs, but in ranked people usually pick every other engi over her.

Proxy suffers primarily from a small health pool which makes her unattractive in a lot of competitive situations, especially since fletcher is also quite fast and has significantly more health. But more importantly, her mines can be a liability to her and her teammates. It actually does take a lot of skill, map and enemy awareness to place a mine somewhere where an experienced player might still hit it, otherwise they’re painfully easy to avoid, and the only people you’ll kill are noobs and a few lucky hits on distracted veterans. Nerfing her mines would remove the only reason to play her.

Dropping a mine is something I can understand being angry at, it can be annoying, (albeit Fragger and to a lesser extent Javelin are more effective at that), but your post seems to imply you don’t like mines being used as actual mines… and I really don’t get that. They’re so laughably easy to avoid once you get used to it that I’m not sure why it would be an issue. Yeah, they annoyed me too for the first couple hours, but they’re very loud, easy to spot, and once you get used to the maps it’s pretty easy to guess where a proxy will plant a mine, especially on an objective. If there’s a proxy on the enemy team, there’s a mine on the C4, it’s just a fact of the universe.

Having mines slow people down would defeat the entire purpose of mines, keeping something safe while you do something else. If all it does is slow you down, then idk what good that does. It would mean the only useful strategy would be drop and shoot, but with such low reward it would be pointless. Thunder can already slow mercs down far more effectively, and even then his slowing effect is widely hated. Adding in another one would just piss people off more.

I really really think you should try proxy more for yourself. I hated her too at first, then I tried her and figured things out. She’s by no means OP, and it’s actually pretty hard to use her mines in a way that’ll reliably get kills

(Gire) #10

All i want is that team mate Proxy mines wouldnt make those whizzing sounds only enemies

(Teflon Love) #11

@Juhiis said:
well goddamn, no one likes my idea. oh well, maybe i just need to stop listening to music while playing

Donning a loadout with Bomb Squad while you are still learning the popular mine spots also could help.

(Press E) #12

@Gire said:
All i want is that team mate Proxy mines wouldnt make those whizzing sounds only enemies

That would be a problem, since friendly mines can kill you too if an enemy shoots it or even hits it with an explosive. You should know where a friendly mine is just as well as the enemy.

(Xenithos) #13

@Juhiis said:

When you tried to make cancer more cancer-like, the forum goers did their job. I’m not sure what music you’re listening to, but that probably would help :slight_smile:

(Xenithos) #14

@teflonlove said:

@Juhiis said:

Donning a loadout with Bomb Squad while you are still learning the popular mine spots also could help.

Pfft, I’m over level 100 and I still enjoy using Bomb Squad, makes spotting good Aimee Snitches way easier, and it frequently will show me different things behind walls on accident like where the Fletcher is. rofl.

(Stokes1) #15

@Juhiis said:

Don’t go throwing around ideas like this, you’ll get ridiculed for it. Trust me, I know.

(D.C.V.) #16

You are overthinking it. In my opinion, there are 2 simple ways to force people who play her to use mines for their intended purpose instead of treating them like short range frag grenades. There’s no need to mess with its damage, radius or effects.

1. Proxy has to stay still for 1-2 secs to plant a mine, similar to how you stand still to plant a C4.

or

1. Shooting mines before they are armed will destroy them without explosion.

I’m more in favor of the second suggestion myself but either of those should force all the rambo spastics to actually use mines strategically instead of the current “throw mine->shoot once->get kill” cancer strat that they all seem to prefer.

(B_Montiel) #17

@“D.C.V.” said:
You are overthinking it. In my opinion, there are 2 simple ways to force people who play her to use mines for their intended purpose instead of treating them like short range frag grenades. There’s no need to mess with its damage, radius or effects.

1. Proxy has to stay still for 1-2 secs to plant a mine, similar to how you stand still to plant a C4.

or

I’m more in favor of the second suggestion myself but either of those should force all the rambo spastics to actually use mines strategically instead of the current “throw mine->shoot once->get kill” cancer strat that they all seem to prefer.

Throw then shoot mines is a feature SD even added in their videos. It’s very risky if you’re planning to stay alive afterwards, and not that straightforward if you’re not using shotguns. I clearly dont know why so many people are crossed with it, especially nowadays with mines hardly stronger than a fragger’s grenade.

Yes, in pub, it can be annoying, but if you remove this, proxy is definitely getting the most useless merc against experienced/comp players.

(GatoCommodore) #18

@“D.C.V.” said:

or

Proxy mines has limited utility and its not the nuke it once was.

also, its not like the mine can one hit kill enemy across the map. Snipers and every firesupport merc can kill people across the map, proxy doesnt.

which one needs more skill when using abilities? skyhammer or proxy?
the correct answer is proxy but people insisted not using skyhammer with its 200+dmg missile barrage with very wide AoE, able to kill the whole team when just exiting the spawn and instead complain about a fukken engie who can throw and blow up her mine.

(henki000) #19

I think mines should be more invisible. Maybe remove sound and light. But then, mines should be destroyed by Sky Shield.

Nobody uses her in tournaments, because HP is important and she would get gibbed in milliseconds. Competetive teams prefer Turtle, since that shield benefits locally. Engineers work local objectives, they dont have much time to wander around lands, finding clever mine spot. They dont have time to attack behind with drop and pop. It’s too risky to lose Engineer or any teammate, so they work in groups or at least with one medic. When someone steps to mine, they get revived. Unless you are monitoring your mines in sneak attack distance. Meaning you have to be usually absent to main objective. Which could signify that you need another engineer and lose from other class.

She is bad in close combat. Low HP and shotguns are still feeble.
She is good for playing solo, when you can detect and slow down multiple enemies without attention. Pushing solo opponent’s for over concentrated play.

I have over 100 hours with proxy.

(D.C.V.) #20

Proxy’s “throw mine and shoot it” strat is broken, retarded and piss easy to do. It takes less skill than skyhammer airstrikes or fragger nades or any other ability in the game. It’s literally press Q and left click. She does not risk anything because if you jump and throw it, the mine will go far away from you. I have played Proxy, the garbage players who main her have played Proxy and it’s common knowledge that she’s broken. Proxys should not be able to detonate their mines milliseconds after they’ve thrown them. Why? Simply because mines should be used strategically to defend areas, not as improvised fragger nades.