I love the new quickjoin

(Sorotia) #1

It’s so great it puts me on a dog shit team that can’t even complete the first objective every time!

3 snipers on underground and only one of them was decent.

4 engineers on chapel and none of them push the objective!

Good times

(imLegal) #2

I love the fact that the previous state of quick join we had before matchmaking was better than the quick join we now have as a replacement now that “the future of DB” has been scrapped off.

Splash Damage, the royal kings of taking steps backwards - Michael Jackson would be proud.

(Stokes1) #3

Yeah, I’m seeing the same thing but worse. Still getting stomped hard a hell. The filter they speak of doesn’t exist.

(Press E) #4

The same thing happened before CMM was a thing too, and it really wasn’t that bad, so idk what everyone is so surprised about lol. After CMM was implemented most of the new players played CMM, while stopwatch servers were mostly filled with level 50-150 players. It’s not surprising matches are filled with such a variety of skill levels now that they’ve been mixed together.

I haven’t run into a single full stomp though, so I’m not sure if I’m just lucky lol. From my experience matches have actually been pretty balanced overall, considering both sides usually have the same amount of clueless players.

I’d imagine FF on servers would be filled with generally more skillful players too, but we’ll see when I try them

(Mc1412013) #5

Honestly i liked cmm compaired to this crap. Im always geting put in mTches ending in less than 2 minutes or before i can spawn, and i just had a stomp match where most of the high levels were thrown on one team

(Press E) #6

@Mc1412013 said:
Honestly i liked cmm compaired to this crap. Im always geting put in mTches ending in less than 2 minutes or before i can spawn, and i just had a stomp match where most of the high levels were thrown on one team

CMM did that all the time though, lol. Backfill was a nightmare for that, and stacks were pretty regular too, especially with premade teams.

(Mc1412013) #7

@STARRYSOCK said:

@Mc1412013 said:

CMM did that all the time though, lol. Backfill was a nightmare for that, and stacks were pretty regular too, especially with premade teams.
I would have to say only 5-10 % of matches in cmm were already in progress. West coast servers were the farthest i played and i loked the part where you could see every ones csrds and the end of match stats were cool as well

(Press E) #8

@Mc1412013 said:

@STARRYSOCK said:

@Mc1412013 said:

I would have to say only 5-10 % of matches in cmm were already in progress. West coast servers were the farthest i played and i loked the part where you could see every ones csrds and the end of match stats were cool as well

Well, either way, at least you can stay in the server after the match ends instead of requeuing like in CMM. I don’t really mind joining right at the last minute if it means I get a tasty fresh match once it ends.

Basically think of it as waiting for CMM’s queue times, only you get to play while you’re at it lol

(GatoCommodore) #9

Ranked monsters now play with plebian
and its horribly one sided if one team doesnt have any level 100 (which is not that rare nowadays)

still, i love the addition of 6v6 into the game again
less explosive spam and more crisp gunfights.

(Sorotia) #10

@STARRYSOCK said:

@Mc1412013 said:

Except in CMM still got some decent games…and didn’t have to be worried about being plopped on a server half way across the world because it doesn’t have a option to select any kind of region.

And I was able to actually play with friends…which IMO lessened the blow of one of those stacked losses because you could enjoy it with friends.

(Teflon Love) #11

@Mc1412013 said:
i loked the part where you could see every ones csrds and the end of match stats were cool as well

I can’t think of a single technical reason why SW does not have this, so probably the haven’t prioritized it yet. Would be cool to have this in SW too.

(Teflon Love) #12

@Sorotia said:
Except in CMM still got some decent games…and didn’t have to be worried about being plopped on a server half way across the world because it doesn’t have a option to select any kind of region.

In SD’s defense they already acknowledge the “all around the world” match making is a bug that should be fixed with the next update.

(bgyoshi) #13

It’s almost like Quick Join was removed for a reason or something
It’s almost like Quick Join isn’t about balanced matchmaking, and isn’t called “matchmaking” for a reason or something
It’s almost like Quick Join is just automated server browsing or something
It’s almost like whining about match balance is pointless and doesn’t do anything but distract SD from focusing on improving the game features and instead makes them focus on completing the impossible task of perfectly balancing 1,000 players from a huge range of skill levels across the entire world or something
It’s almost like we’ve seen this problem before and invented a remedy to it called CMM that was it’s own matchmaking mode but should’ve been a party version of Quick Join that tried to match you onto your own team with your friends or something.

(imLegal) #14

@bgyoshi said:
It’s almost like whining about match balance is pointless and doesn’t do anything but distract SD from focusing on improving the game features

This on so many levels! It has nothing to do with the obvious pattern of poor planning and development - it’s the damn players and their goofy ideas of wanting to play desirable matches instead of clusterfucks!

Fxcking whiners m8 they’re the direct causation to the playerbase dying.

(bgyoshi) #15

@imLegal said:
This on so many levels! It has nothing to do with the obvious pattern of poor planning and development - it’s the damn players and their goofy ideas of wanting to play desirable matches instead of clusterfucks!

Please give an example of any 5+player team-based game with solo queuing whose highest complaint is not match balance, as an example of a game that has solved the problem and always gives 100% perfect match pairings no matter what skill level the players are at

Oh right, it doesn’t exist, because it’s impossible to accomplish

(Chilled Sanity) #16

@imLegal said:
I love the fact that the previous state of quick join we had before matchmaking was better than the quick join we now have as a replacement now that “the future of DB” has been scrapped off.

Splash Damage, the royal kings of taking steps backwards - Michael Jackson would be proud.

Hee-Hee

(imLegal) #17

@bgyoshi said:
Please give an example of any 5+player team-based game with solo queuing whose highest complaint is not match balance

Wanting to play desirable matches =/= Figuring out the solution to perfect equity and balancing every single match there is or will ever be.

Matchmaking alleviated several problems we now have to deal with once again. I’m not saying it was flawless nor implying it was a fix since it indirectly caused issues of its own, but simply having it completely removed and replaced by previous inferior methods of hosting matches isn’t really what you would call “improving game features” nor was it a waste of development time directly caused by players who simply wanted better matches and not just be thrown into a random server - this was a failure on SD’s part.

(bgyoshi) #18

@imLegal said:
Matchmaking alleviated several problems we now have to deal with once again.

The top complaint I always heard about CMM and Ranked were “matchmaking balance is garbage and terribad I’m going back to server browser where I don’t care.” SD finally gave up (“CMM and Ranked aren’t giving players the experience we wanted”) and removed them both and brought back quick join so players didn’t have to search open servers manually if they didn’t want to.

having it completely removed and replaced by previous inferior methods of hosting matches isn’t really what you would call “improving game features”

Neither would I, in fact I specifically pointed out that it wasn’t improving game features

nor was it a waste of development time directly caused by players who simply wanted better matches

Yes it was; SD spent ages trying to fix and improve their matchmaking algorithms in a panicked attempt to increase interest in Ranked. Leavers and matchmaking balance were by far the largest complaints about Ranked and that was what they spent the most time focused on improving in the modes. Aside from the usual new mercs/maps and a weapons patch or two, majority of the updates to actual game features (not the be confused with content) from last year were “improved matchmaking algorithm” without question.

If players want better matches they need suggest ways to make the game better and improve player retainage; match balance is hardly the main reason why this game loses players, but it’s all they complain about because critical thought is pretty hard for most people. All they know is “I want better match balance” without giving any deeper thought into why matches are imbalanced in the first place.

this was a failure on SD’s part.

On this we agree

(imLegal) #19

@bgyoshi said:

@imLegal said:

The top complaint I always heard about CMM and Ranked were “matchmaking balance is garbage and terribad I’m going back to server browser where I don’t care.” SD finally gave up (“CMM and Ranked aren’t giving players the experience we wanted”) and removed them both and brought back quick join so players didn’t have to search open servers manually if they didn’t want to.

Anecdotal evidence and subjective experiences. Fact is there were complaints just as much as there was praise. We could go through all the pros and cons, but there’s really no point when the basis of your argument is that this was a complete waste of time for game improvements when THIS was supposed to be a feature of the game. Again: the system wasn’t perfect nor was ever meant to be, but atleast its function was working compared to where now we have zero match making implementations so it’s all about hopping into random servers and hoping you don’t join a clusterfuck of a game which odds are you probably will. Weird move for SD to justify scrapping it entirely but not surprising considering that once again poor planning and development is not unfamiliar.

Neither would I, in fact I specifically pointed out that it wasn’t improving game features

You pointed out the development and resources invested into Matchmaking was a distraction to improving game features when Matchmaking in itself was a game feature that needed proper developing and improvements. It’s become a waste now that SD has had to scrap the entire thing out of lack of proper planning/development, but initially the time & resources focused into matchmaking was invested into improving game features (which was considered at the time the “future of DB”).

Yes it was; SD spent ages trying to fix and improve their matchmaking algorithms in a panicked attempt to increase interest in Ranked. Leavers and matchmaking balance were by far the largest complaints about Ranked and that was what they spent the most time focused on improving in the modes. Aside from the usual new mercs/maps and a weapons patch or two, majority of the updates to actual game features (not the be confused with content) from last year were “improved matchmaking algorithm” without question.

Ranked is a seperate topic to address. The match balances in Ranked we’re already considered poor prior to CMM being introduced and in fact these complaints already existed.
You keep associating matchmaking with match balancing as if they’re completely synonymous to each other. I’m not making a case about exclusively match balancing, i’m stating that the function of having a matchmaking feature is superior to simply having a button randomly server hopping for you and if this feature failed it’s not because it’s the player’s fault for wanting desirable matches, it’s the devs fault.

If players want better matches they need suggest ways to make the game better and improve player retainage; match balance is hardly the main reason why this game loses players, but it’s all they complain about because critical thought is pretty hard for most people. All they know is “I want better match balance” without giving any deeper thought into why matches are imbalanced in the first place.

There’s already been countless suggestions established, one of which was CMM, and it still hasn’t stopped the game from backpedaling and declining. This game’s match balancing and success does not solely revolve around player suggestions, it’s SD’s responsibility to be competent with how they go about it. There’s no “main” reason why this game loses players
it’s all due to several factors that contributes to this game’s decline. Simplifying the argument of people’s complaints about match balancing to “its all they complain about because critical thought is pretty hard for most people” is in itself a fallacy of critical thinking. You’re not critically analyzing by simply projecting.

(Teflon Love) #20

@imLegal said:

Honestly I don’t see much difference between CMM and QJ, in general I’d say games are equally awful.

I still believe that back then when the game had 3000+ average players a somewhat decent match making could have been implemented would SD not have it based on a single Elo rating independent of the merc and role.

But now, with only a few hundred players on average left (of which about 70% seem be be below level 10) there is nothing that can be done anymore than just lump a bunch of people together and hope they try to balance it out themselves by switching teams.