Hunter Killer requires too much exp

(Theatrum) #1

Hunter Killer Earn x number of Combat XP 1 satr=6,000 2 star=8,000 3 star=10,000

Combat xp is some of the least predictable xp in the game. In an even match you might get a little under 2000 xp (about 10 kills), if you are rolling the other team you might get more and if the other team is good or rolling you then you could easily earn much less.

Given this the hunter killer mission might take 4-6 matches to complete. If each match lasts about 20 minutes that’s 1:20:00 - 2:00:00 hours to complete. If you manage 15+ kills per match it will be faster but most people don’t.

I would consider this too long especially considering if you play well with any other mission you can complete it in one match.

(Fei-Ling) #2

I’m terrible and I would say you still make >2000 combat exp every game no matter what. No matter even who you play. For the other missions you need to pick specifically and still it’s hard to make more than 2k of game mode or support exp at times (someone else doing the engineer work before you can, getting steamrolled by the other team, nobody picking up your health/ammo/immediately tapping out before getting rezzed). Seems about even to me. I do hate the “with xxx in your squad” limitation though. Effectively removes one squad slot if it’s a character that I do not wanna play.

(ThunderZsolt) #3

Combat XP least predictable?

You are joking, right?
How about getting objective XP while attacking on any map with no EV? If your teammate arms/delivers faster, you get as much as 0 (or maybe 500 if you win)
At least there are enemies to shoot on all maps, lol.

Anyway, here are some tips how to earn more combat XP:

• Try to finish off enemies as much as you can - it is easy to do, and it gives as much XP as killing them. (not sure if you are a new player - in case you didn’t know, any melee attack instantly finishes downed enemies regardless of their HP)
  • Use mercs that have damage dealing abilities (definately not Vassili).
  • Kira and Skybro can get you free pentakills + also finishing the enemies which means 1000+ combat XP every 40/55 seconds if you learn to use those. Arty is good too.
  • Fragger, Fletcher, Nader, Javelin can also get you free combat XP on top of shooting enemies. Even if you don’t kill them with explosives, assists count as well towards the mission.
  • Group up! Getting assists worth more XP than facing the enemy team and dying alone.
  • Focus on not dying instead of suicide rushing into the enemy team hoping for kills. You might let some enemies run away, but dead players are useless (and don’t get any XP). Don’t play hide and seek, just know when to retreat.

(Theatrum) #4

Game mode XP is no were near as annoying and you only need 4000. Very easy to complete side objectives and get a few hundred, you get free game mode xp just for playing. It’s impossible to get 0, and you get game mode xp just for sitting on the obejctive. Will take 2 matches to complete 1 star objective monkey or three if you’re unlucky.

I know how to get combat xp that’s not the problem. The problem is it takes far longer than the rest. Always have to do a few extra matches to finish the mission when the others have been completed. Playing as nader and spamming grenades is the only sure way to get it and that’s still only 20 xp per grenade.

(LifeupOmega) #5

Takes me like, 1 to 1 1/2 games total to get max combat exp. All you need to do is kill people.

(Chris Mullins) #6

Interesting post. Passed on to the devs to take a look at!

(ThunderZsolt) #7

@Theatrum said: you get game mode xp just for sitting on the obejctive.

That is true, but it is a very little amount.
Still on the attacker team only the person delivering/arming gets objective XP (side objectives or not), it depends more on the map and your team how much you get than yourself.

I can complete the 10k combat XP mission in 2, maximum 3 games (if I play badly) with the mercs i mentioned. (sometimes even in one game if I play against noobs new players)

If I’m attacking on Trainyard and the enemy team defuses my C4 and my teammate blows up + delivers all the objectives, i only get a few hundred - takes 10+ games to get the mission done at that pace.

Getting combat XP is not annoying at all - in fact it is hard to not get combat XP.

(GatoCommodore) #8

@stayfreshshoe said:

shoe why…
we dont need it to be looked at…

(Theatrum) #9

@ThunderZsolt said:

@Theatrum said: you get game mode xp just for sitting on the obejctive.

That is true, but it is a very little amount.
Still on the attacker team only the person delivering/arming gets objective XP (side objectives or not), it depends more on the map and your team how much you get than yourself.

I can complete the 10k combat XP mission in 2, maximum 3 games (if I play badly) with the mercs i mentioned. (sometimes even in one game if I play against noobs new players)

If I’m attacking on Trainyard and the enemy team defuses my C4 and my teammate blows up + delivers all the objectives, i only get a few hundred - takes 10+ games to get the mission done at that pace.

Getting combat XP is not annoying at all - in fact it is hard to not get combat XP.

How many kills do you get when you score10k combat exp? 40? If you get 15+ kills in a match then I’d say you are doing extremely well and only a few people in a full team will you see get that high. It’s not uncommon see the highest scoring player get 10 kills. You might get combat xp quickly but the average player does not.

The other problem is the only way to get combat exp high enough is to play Nader or Javelin. That’s a very small pool to choose from. I can tell you I could never get xp that high with fragger or fletcher or any other merc. The past few days I’ve been getting combat missions after combat mission which has meant playing Nader in every match. That’s not great.

I agree that game mode xp can be annoying but really only in very short matches where you lose horribly. I’ve been paying close attention and in most matches my game mode xp is about the same or often more than my combat xp however the requirements for their representative missions expect you to make 25% less game mode xp. With the 3 star missions game mode and combat xp requirements even out due to the way average match xp divides into the total.

I want to edit my original post because 6 games to complete a 1 star hunter killer is really too many. It wouldn’t exceed more than 5.

@stayfreshshoe said:

Thanks shoe!

(pumpkinmeerkat) #10

@Theatrum said:
How many kills do you get when you score10k combat exp? 40? If you get 15+ kills in a match then I’d say you are doing extremely well and only a few people in a full team will you see get that high. It’s not uncommon see the highest scoring player get 10 kills. You might get combat xp quickly but the average player does not.

The other problem is the only way to get combat exp high enough is to play Nader or Javelin. That’s a very small pool to choose from. I can tell you I could never get xp that high with fragger or fletcher or any other merc. The past few days I’ve been getting combat missions after combat mission which has meant playing Nader in every match. That’s not great.
I want to edit my original post because 6 games to complete a 1 star hunter killer is really too many. It wouldn’t exceed more than 5.

@stayfreshshoe said:

Thanks shoe!

I’m sorry but this is ridiculous.

If you want to focus on support that’s fine. One of the best things about DB is that ALL classes can and should be fragging. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the combat XP requirements. Take it from me and everyone else on this forum that have sunk a significant amount of time into this game.

If you want advice on improving at DB there are plenty of people here to help and answer any questions you may have.

(Teflon Love) #11

@Theatrum said:
I would consider this too long especially considering if you play well with any other mission you can complete it in one match.

I’m in the same boat as you with my bad aim but I think it’s ok that combat mission take the longest then. I can usually do it within one hour.

The easiest way for me to finish these missions is playing fire support with fast hitting AoE abilities like Kira, Arty and Stoker. With basic awareness of enemy locations you can collect kills pretty quickly, especially in casual matches.

If I’m the only one willing to pick engineer, Bushwacker with KEK is nice. A well placed turret does combat XP even if it gets shot down before killing an enemy.

If I’m the only one willing to pick medic, Phoenix with a Hochfir is my preference. His self healing allows for some nice semi aggressive hit and run play style where you take out one enemy and then run away, heal up, hide a bit and then go for it again.

(Shenaynays) #12

@stayfreshshoe said:

boi, you are a dev

(K1X455) #13

Lemme ask you something:

How many matches does it take you to do a 3-Star gae mode xp?

(JonBongNoJovi) #14

@Theatrum said:

Given this the hunter killer mission might take 4-6 matches to complete. If each match lasts about 20 minutes that’s 1:20:00 - 2:00:00 hours to complete.

You get 3 hours to complete so wheres the problem ? also there is far more concerning things devs could spend there time on.

(kopyright) #15

@Shenaynays said:

@stayfreshshoe said:

boi, you are a dev

Probably a devier dev.

(Teflon Love) #16

@Shenaynays said:

@stayfreshshoe said:

boi, you are a dev

Shoe is a community manager. He doesn’t design the game logic, doesn’t do graphics or audio and doesn’t program. He relays information and sentiments between players and devs.

(Shenaynays) #17

@teflonlove said:

@Shenaynays said:

@stayfreshshoe said:

boi, you are a dev

Shoe is a community manager. He doesn’t design the game logic, doesn’t do graphics or audio and doesn’t program. He relays information and sentiments between players and devs.

ik i was more meme-ing on his tags. Most specifically the developer one ~ <3

(kittz0r) #18

Yep make the Game easier instead of improving yourself to not need 1 Day for something which should be successful in 2-5 Matches, depending the Merc and Gamemode. Some Players do 11k Combat XP in 1 Stopwatch Game.

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #19

@kittz0r said:
Yep make the Game easier instead of improving yourself to not need 1 Day for something which should be successful in 2-5 Matches, depending the Merc and Gamemode. Some Players do 11k Combat XP in 1 Stopwatch Game.

I can get over 13,000 Combat XP in a single Stopwatch Game, as long as I actually focus and put in effort, rather consistently; the amount required for the Mission doesn’t need to be lowered.

While we’re on the topic though, I feel it’d be better to just add more variants of the Missions, as opposed to lowering the requirements; such as having one that pays out 625 Credits and another paying 875 Credits, each having a 1.5 and 2.5 Star difficulty rating respectively. This would give more variety in the required XP values to finish them without over-simplifying the current Missions; and would still fit neatly between the currently existing Missions, with regards to how they are currently rated via the difficulty-reward ratio that the game follows.

If they did do this, however, they may want to consider tweaking the Mission Refresh times very slightly. As it currently stands, with a 2.5 hour refresh timer for 3 Missions, it is far to common to have all 3 Missions completed before the refresh timer is up; in my case I’m usually done within one to two games of Stopwatch, with close to 2 hours left on the refresh timer.

(bgyoshi) #20

It’s rare that it takes me more than one round of stopwatch to complete all possible XP missions. If any of them take 2 rounds it’s the 15k Combat XP since I usually prefer support roles and generally rack around 11k combat XP in those cases.

Unless it’s a rush stomp or I’m on defense against an inept attacking team, 7 - 8k Objective XP on Underground is pretty common for me. If there’s an EV then 10k is usually doable. I think the hardest map to get obj xp on is Castle for how short of an EV push it is and for how few side objectives there are… I might get stuck around 4k or 5k for those.

And for support XP, being SkyHaggis or Arty and throwing all four ammo packs in a line from spawn every time you respawn is pretty much a guaranteed 15k support xp over a full 30 minute match.

But honestly, a lot of the time nowadays I don’t even try for the missions. I just play the game however I want and at some point all three get completed before I’m done.