Hunter Killer requires too much exp

(Theatrum) #21

@K1X455 said:
Lemme ask you something:

How many matches does it take you to do a 3-Star gae mode xp?

3 star objective monkey (7500xp) is 2 - 3 games however can be one or two more if you are unlucky with team balance. The thing with game mode is that while it can absolutely suck in one match you have a pretty much equal chance for it to be golden and get quadruple the xp.

I want to iterate that what I made this thread about is not my personal experience but how it relates to the performance of an average player and whether that provides a positive player experience.

These people bragging about getting 10k combat xp in one match don’t relate to the concern at all as they are not the average player, you can see the average player by playing a pub match and you can see that the median total xp amount is between 6000-8000 with a K/D approaching or around 10. It doesn’t matter how good you or me personally are at the game. Why this matters and why I felt it worth bringing up is because reward loops play a critical role in player experience and if players aren’t getting rewarded for their time they may very well just stop playing, which is bad for everyone because it reduces the size of the community.

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #22

@Theatrum said:

@K1X455 said:
Lemme ask you something:

How many matches does it take you to do a 3-Star gae mode xp?

3 star objective monkey (7500xp) is 2 - 3 games however can be one or two more if you are unlucky with team balance. The thing with game mode is that while it can absolutely suck in one match you have a pretty much equal chance for it to be golden and get quadruple the xp.

I want to iterate that what I made this thread about is not my personal experience but how it relates to the performance of an average player and whether that provides a positive player experience.

These people bragging about getting 10k combat xp in one match don’t relate to the concern at all as they are not the average player, you can see the average player by playing a pub match and you can see that the median total xp amount is between 6000-8000 with a K/D approaching or around 10. It doesn’t matter how good you or me personally are at the game. Why this matters and why I felt it worth bringing up is because reward loops play a critical role in player experience and if players aren’t getting rewarded for their time they may very well just stop playing, which is bad for everyone because it reduces the size of the community.

First off, was not bragging, was merely putting it there as an example. Secondly, this entire discussion is reminiscent of all the gaming journalist articles on how games like Cuphead requiring effort to complete is bad, purely because it is not inclusive for all the special little snowflakes out there; the entire concept is a fallacy. The idea of overcoming a challenge is indicative of games as the interactive medium that it is. Games, as a medium, function similarly to a meritocracy and inherently will require you to put in X amount of effort to achieve Y results; you will not get the same Y value with less X. That being said, concept of difficulty is inherent to games as well as the concept of a challenge, the argument of lowering the requirement of something to achieve the same reward exists along the same line; it’s the same argument just applied to a recurring mission cycle. If people didn’t want to have to work for the pay-off we wouldn’t see games that boast such difficulty being as successful as they are proving to be; look at games like Dark Souls, for instance, and the large communities that sprung up purely around those games.

To put it another way, suppose you play a game on the hardest difficulty setting. Should your reward be the same as the guy who plays it on the easiest setting? Should you not be rewarded for the extra effort that you put into achieving your victory? It is essentially the question of should higher amount of X yield the same amount of Y as a lesser X value; and with the indicative nature of an interactive medium such as games the answer is no. If you get the same result working your ass off to achieve the results that someone who could’ve done it with one thumb up their rear would get why have the varied difficulty in the first place; it’s nonsensical and really just a product of people not wanting to have to put in the work to achieve a result.

Now I think your heart is in the right place, I really do, but you have to take a step back and really look at what games are; it’s roots, what made gaming into the medium it is today and changed it from being just a thing for children in the form of educational games, how are they structured. When you’ve done that it becomes rather clear that conflict, along with the potential for failure and success that comes with it, and the rewards that ensue following the outcome are all a part of what makes games what they are.

(K1X455) #23

I played an objective Chapel defence once and had a 7.5k gae mode XP requirement for fletcher. So I brought in Arty and Stoker and on 8v8 with 2 other Artys in the team, getting game mode X is well contested.

Seriously, if I wanted Gae Mode XP, I’d play execution. 1k per detonation x six rounds on offence; 0.2k per minute x six rounds on defence, not counting the times a successful defusions are made.

(Theatrum) #24

@-OCB-Wildcard said:

First off, was not bragging, was merely putting it there as an example. Secondly, this entire discussion is reminiscent of all the gaming journalist articles on how games like Cuphead requiring effort to complete is bad, purely because it is not inclusive for all the special little snowflakes out there; the entire concept is a fallacy. The idea of overcoming a challenge is indicative of games as the interactive medium that it is. Games, as a medium, function similarly to a meritocracy and inherently will require you to put in X amount of effort to achieve Y results; you will not get the same Y value with less X. That being said, concept of difficulty is inherent to games as well as the concept of a challenge, the argument of lowering the requirement of something to achieve the same reward exists along the same line; it’s the same argument just applied to a recurring mission cycle. If people didn’t want to have to work for the pay-off we wouldn’t see games that boast such difficulty being as successful as they are proving to be; look at games like Dark Souls, for instance, and the large communities that sprung up purely around those games.

To put it another way, suppose you play a game on the hardest difficulty setting. Should your reward be the same as the guy who plays it on the easiest setting? Should you not be rewarded for the extra effort that you put into achieving your victory? It is essentially the question of should higher amount of X yield the same amount of Y as a lesser X value; and with the indicative nature of an interactive medium such as games the answer is no. If you get the same result working your ass off to achieve the results that someone who could’ve done it with one thumb up their rear would get why have the varied difficulty in the first place; it’s nonsensical and really just a product of people not wanting to have to put in the work to achieve a result.

Now I think your heart is in the right place, I really do, but you have to take a step back and really look at what games are; it’s roots, what made gaming into the medium it is today and changed it from being just a thing for children in the form of educational games, how are they structured. When you’ve done that it becomes rather clear that conflict, along with the potential for failure and success that comes with it, and the rewards that ensue following the outcome are all a part of what makes games what they are.

The missions are not in place as a challenge. They are a way to earn currency and control gameplay habits. Their purpose is to justify low currency payouts per match and ensure that players earn currency at a consistent rate related to real time as well as give a reward for playing more than one game. Thus allowing db to control that rate with predictable outcomes. The challenge of the game comes from playing, comes from competition, in-game mechanics. I enjoy Dirty Bomb because it is faster, more precise, and more weighted on skill than other shooters out currently, I don’t enjoy grind. Having one set of missions that is out of sync with the rest serves no purpose to the difficulty of the game. The Hunter Killer missions do not give a reward any higher than the other missions. What you’re saying is great and is important to gameplay but this is something outside of the game that relates to progression. One way they could fix it would be to increase the reward for Hunter Killer but I don’t think SD would do that because it messes with the intention of missions stated above.

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #25

@Theatrum said:

@-OCB-Wildcard said:

The missions are not in place as a challenge. They are a way to earn currency and control gameplay habits. Their purpose is to justify low currency payouts per match and ensure that players earn currency at a consistent rate related to real time as well as give a reward for playing more than one game. Thus allowing db to control that rate with predictable outcomes. The challenge of the game comes from playing, comes from competition, in-game mechanics. I enjoy Dirty Bomb because it is faster, more precise, and more weighted on skill than other shooters out currently, I don’t enjoy grind. Having one set of missions that is out of sync with the rest serves no purpose to the difficulty of the game. The Hunter Killer missions do not give a reward any higher than the other missions. What you’re saying is great and is important to gameplay but this is something outside of the game that relates to progression. One way they could fix it would be to increase the reward for Hunter Killer but I don’t think SD would do that because it messes with the intention of missions stated above.

From personal experience I find that every aspect of a games design still follows the same framework as there is always conflict; this does not always mean the implication of combat, conflict takes many forms and the implication of the chance of failure to attain the reward is part of such design. Progression is not exempt from such a concept as it still requires X amount of effort to attain the Y desired result, it is still following the underlying principle and therefore failure is supposed to be on the table. If you prefer it be something less influenced by that concept then we’ll just have to agree to disagree because it’s clearly more an issue of us having a different view on how game design & development should be approached, as opposed to anything else. I respect your opinion on the matter, even if I don’t exactly agree with it in its entirety, so I’d rather not take this further and have it risk becoming something beyond a civilized debate.

P.S. @Theatrum We’re clearly coming from two different philosophies on the approach to this subject; something I can respect as it is a matter of ideology, something that is very much influenced by personal preference and choice. It is one of the few things that makes people truly different from one another, and something I personally value having present in variety, so I’ll leave it at we’ll have to agree to disagree on some points here.

(Theatrum) #26

Ultimately it is up to SD to decide whether the current state fits into what they are trying to achieve within their design. We’ve put our thoughts out and I think the issue is too small to warrant much more.

We both love Dirty Bomb and want the game to succeed. I don’t really know what I’d play instead, probably CS:GO.