How to have fun in current DB

(Teflon Love) #1

Until recently I used the play the merc the team needed the most, which almost always ended up being a medic or engi. But when you keep reviving players that trip over their own feed and break their neck 3 seconds later or plant a C4 nobody defends it’s really frustrating. And having 3+ recons as team mates didn’t improve my mood by much either.

But I finally figured out how to have fun in DB again:

Pick Aimee and two of the useless mercs you never gonna play but which have “20 hour in squad” achievements. For me, this would be Phantom and Hunter. Then play “pistol mostly” Aimee running around like a headless chicken and spam your SNITCH all over the place. The average casual will never find your SNITCH so you end up with more support XP than your medic (which usually there is none these days).

Of course this will not work with skilled opponents, but fortunately there are hardly any as long as you stick to CMM.

I’m sure that was SD’s original vision of the game. If only I had known earlier.

(Jigstraw) #2

i like going pistol only, but not on aimee. Do it on Phantom or Thunder with a smjuth.

(ThePigVomit) #3

Aura paddles only = success.

(Press E) #4

Honestly aimee’s snitch is an absolute meme. All of the recon abilities are really, but the snitch especially. You just have to hope no one has bomb squad and you can pretty much topscore without shooting anyone.

Sparks can also be a meme on certain maps. Don’t fight enemies, don’t even look at enemies, just hide behind cover and poke your head out to revive people. I ended up with 41 revives in an obj match hiding behind the last bus in chapel that way

(Your worst knifemare.) #5

I just plop a turret down and whack anyone I see with the bat.

Or if I’m feeling more melee bloodthirst I go stiletto sparps or batons Guardy

(Teflon Love) #6

@STARRYSOCK said:
Honestly aimee’s snitch is an absolute meme. All of the recon abilities are really, but the snitch especially. You just have to hope no one has bomb squad and you can pretty much topscore without shooting anyone.

That sounds like an interesting challenge. Reminds me of the Pacifist achievement of Deus Ex. B)

(Xenithos) #7

@teflonlove said:

@STARRYSOCK said:

That sounds like an interesting challenge. Reminds me of the Pacifist achievement of Deus Ex. B)

HIDDEN ACHIEVEMENT WHEN!?

(Wulie) #8

"Win 10/100/1000 Matches without killing anyone "?

(Xerny) #9

Here are my methods of fun:

1. Play Proxy with the basic loadout card, grab the cricket bat and attempt not to use the mines but kill everything with your bat, also spam V73 occasionaly.
  2. Play Guardian and attempt to play as normaly as possibile, if you have the batons try to go melee only, if a skybro or a nader are attempting to wipe out your team, ruin their hopes and dreams by placing your little Sky shield on the ground, ALSO spam V793 or V794 occasionaly.
  3. Play Spork or Aura, don’t even think about touching your weapons, run around with your defibs (as Aura) or with your med packs (as Sparks), jump and run around the map, if an enemy sees you try to throw their aim off as much as possibile by running and jumping all over the place and wait for your teammates to finish them off, occasionaly throw some medpacks to injured enemies or zap them to scare them.
  4. Play Javelin, don’t even THINK about using your primary or your secondary, use your tomahawk or rocket launcher, spam V791 whenever you can, meanwhile call for medic just to annoy your teammates.
  5. Try to go as a pacifist, don’t try to harm anyone, just pick Sawbonez,Arty,Sparks or Skybro and walk around near the enemy and give them free health packs or ammo packs.
  6. If you have a friend that has Fletcher, try to do a suicidal tactic, basically you must play as Aura or Sparks, your friend must stick you with all of the 3 stickies, then run towards your teammates and tell your friend to detonate them, look out for the tricky hitbox though.
  7. When you’re playing any map with a carryable objective (such as Bridge), try to take the objective and make the announcer go crazy by constantly equiping and unequiping it, also try to lap around the map with it, be careful for the vote kick though, tricky stuff.

So yeh, those are my methods of fun, remember, always be a filthy casual. (´・ω・`)

(Teflon Love) #10

@Xerny said:
6. If you have a friend that has Fletcher, try to do a suicidal tactic, basically you must play as Aura or Sparks, your friend must stick you with all of the 3 stickies, then run towards your teammates and tell your friend to detonate them, look out for the tricky hitbox though.

Imagine the press coverage if SD adds a new merc of Arabian descent and an achievement called “Allahu Akbar” where you suicide kill an enemy while covered in your team mate Fletcher’s stickies. So much advertising with such little investment.

(Teflon Love) #11

@Wulie said:
"Win 10/100/1000 Matches without killing anyone "?

Way to maximize in-game toxicity. :trollface:

• Player_TryHard: “Player_AchiementWhore FFS shoot somebody!”
  • Player_AchiementWhore: “Sorry no can do, working towards the Pacifist achievement. Here, have an ammo pack.”
  • Player_TryHard: “FFFFFFFF UUUUUUU!!!”
  • Player_AchiementWhore: “Relax, it’s just a game. Everyone is having fun but you. If you don’t like it, uninstall.”
  • Player_CluelessScrub: “Hey guys, I’m new. Which merc should I buy first - Phantom or Vassili?”

(Mc1412013) #12

How to have fun in 3 easy steps

1. Ignore the trolls
  2. Mute the people bitchong and complaining your useless. Chances are u will end up with more kils or more objective. Or be the one vasili who knows the proper way to place a heartbeat sensor.
  3. Use proper mercs for the map/ side
  4. And a bonus remeber its a damn game if your not having fun your doing something wrong.

(Rokon2) #13

@Mc1412013 said:
How to have fun in 3 easy steps

1. Ignore the trolls
  2. Mute the people bitchong and complaining your useless. Chances are u will end up with more kils or more objective. Or be the one vasili who knows the proper way to place a heartbeat sensor.
  3. Use proper mercs for the map/ side
  4. And a bonus remeber its a damn game if your not having fun your doing something wrong.

3 and 4 is subjective. How do you know what mercs are “proper” for a map? How do you know what merc to select for whatever comp the enemy has? You don’t know this. The best you can do is select mercs on what you intend to do. If I play Terminal, I’m going Stoker so I can control the left-side tunnel on first point, and then Bushwacker so I can maintain second point’s objectives with proper LoS useage. A medic for good measure. Or, you can use Fragger and lob grenades considering the uneven levels for each point. You get the point.

Moreover, asking people to simply not get frustrated when they find themselves in a frustrating situation is foolish. You can say “lol it’s just a game” all you’d like, but the fact of the matter is, absolutely everyone at some point gets mad a game - that’s including you.

(Mc1412013) #14

@Rokon2 said: the fact of the matter is, absolutely everyone at some point gets mad a game - that’s including you.

Rarely get mad if any thing this game no mater how bad we loose distracts me from the things going on in my life. Im almost always more relaxed after playing it before i go to bed. And i dont play other games as they dont hold my interest like this game does.

(Xenithos) #15

(Xerny) #16

@Xenithos said:

@Xerny said:
Here are my methods of fun:

1. Play Proxy with the basic loadout card, grab the cricket bat and attempt not to use the mines but kill everything with your bat, also spam V73 occasionaly.
  2. Play Guardian and attempt to play as normaly as possibile, if you have the batons try to go melee only, if a skybro or a nader are attempting to wipe out your team, ruin their hopes and dreams by placing your little Sky shield on the ground, ALSO spam V793 or V794 occasionaly.
  3. Play Spork or Aura, don’t even think about touching your weapons, run around with your defibs (as Aura) or with your med packs (as Sparks), jump and run around the map, if an enemy sees you try to throw their aim off as much as possibile by running and jumping all over the place and wait for your teammates to finish them off, occasionaly throw some medpacks to injured enemies or zap them to scare them.
  4. Play Javelin, don’t even THINK about using your primary or your secondary, use your tomahawk or rocket launcher, spam V791 whenever you can, meanwhile call for medic just to annoy your teammates.
  5. Try to go as a pacifist, don’t try to harm anyone, just pick Sawbonez,Arty,Sparks or Skybro and walk around near the enemy and give them free health packs or ammo packs.
  7. When you’re playing any map with a carryable objective (such as Bridge), try to take the objective and make the announcer go crazy by constantly equiping and unequiping it, also try to lap around the map with it, be careful for the vote kick though, tricky stuff.

So yeh, those are my methods of fun, remember, always be a filthy casual. (´・ω・`)

Xerny. Bringing Cancer in forms other than proxy, but realizing that proxy is still number one…

Please don’t do jokes about cancer, is not funneh (´・ω・`)

Anyways, Proxy is probably one of the most effective melee mercs along Phantom and other 80-90 speed mercs.

True Proxy players never use the mines, they use them only once in every match.

(Xenithos) #17

(Jigstraw) #18

i’m having fun in current DB by counting how many times I’ve crashed since the latest update

i’m up to 12 btw

(D'@athi) #19

Spamming v-5-8-6 in a one-sided stopwatch-match until the last noob has left…

Forgot something… Calling them fucking little hyprocrites out, that call for shuffles, people to switch, balance and insult people not caring, only if they are in the losing team, not vice versa.

(Xerny) #20

@Xenithos said:

@Xerny said:
Please don’t do jokes about cancer, is not funneh (´・ω・`)

can·cer
noun

the disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body.
a malignant growth or tumor resulting from the division of abnormal cells.

First off, cancer jokes ARE hilarious when all parties are willing to not curse each other, and just joke about it, kind of like joking about Sparks being Jeff. Personally I don’t find people that are genuinely confused or cross dressing funny, but having multiple IDs or joking about cross dressing? I can take a joke.

I was also using the word accurately, as the best jokes ride the line: When you share something that is malignant, or a tumor. I.e. not intended to be in the body/game, etc, and allow it to grow (simply because YOU were the one sharing a supposedly fun way to play the game that someone ELSE could probably start benefitting from) then you are quite literally injecting/spreading a “tumor.” In this case sharing an unintended mechanic in the game with friends, allowing it to quite possibly spread uncontrollably (some of the best game modes in other games start as jokes) and become something it wasn’t meant to be that can actually be very harmful to a game’s health.

Do you seriously think that if tons of people started playing DB in the multiple admittedly fun ways that you recommended DB wouldn’t have a problem? Especially with players that prefer to play DB the right way because they feel it’s the fun way? End result, you literally DID spread “cancer.” It really is funny depending on how you look at it.

Anyway, some of these would actually be great gamemodes if they could be enforced. Kind of reminds me of when people in Halo 2 or Halo 3 on multiplayer were like: “You know what’d be cool? If everyone ran around with rocket launchers and instant kill on, with pure camo and just a freaking waypoint with 300% increased speed and 75% gravity. Wouldn’t that be fun?” Ended up they were right, it was freaking fun.

Anyway, to close, I get why you say don’t joke about cancer, I really do. Most of the crowd here probably does too, but one of the best ways to deal with pain is laughter. I usually don’t mind despite knowing several that have been through cancer and knowing people personally that are currently fighting through it. If you’d like me not to, sure. But, good luck with everyone.

I don’t identify myself as a “cancer” spreader but as a filthy casual (´・ω・`).

Also it’s my fault that i over-reacted, i probably didn’t pay much attention on how you used the word.

Now i don’t know how to say sorry, so i’m gonna use one of Sparks’ sacred quotes:

“I’m founting a waterfall, an ocean of sorry.
I’m inexhaustible mind of regret.
My face is portrait to an universe made of repentence.
I emit beams of apolygons.”
-Jeff Sparks, 2k15.

All jokes aside, sorry for over-reacting.