Heads up: Next update for Brink

(RGS) #21

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it!

(Stormchild) #22

Good news.

BF3 is nice and all, but I miss the frantic close combat action in Brink. Now I just need to figure out why it suddely started randomly crashing to desktop…

(wolfnemesis75) #23

Cool, with all of the Halloween festivities, I missed this announcement! Cool!

(nephandys) #24

Does the clan update that console receives include any weapon changes at all? Or are there only weapon changes on PC? If you’ve only tweaked PC weapons I probably won’t be back.

(tangoliber) #25

There were plenty of hints that consoles weren’t getting the tweaks before, so I’m not going to get disappointed. I trust part of it is due to update limitations, as Smooth previously said.

I still stand by my assertion that any accuracy boosts for PC would feel great for consoles as well. Since every single gun feels better on PC (hipfire guns feel slightly better, ADS guns feel significantly better), we can logically conclude that if an tighter spread tweak for a PC gun makes it feel better, then the tweak would improve the feel of the gun on consoles as well. And I still believe that the general supportive attitude from console players mislead the developers into believing that they didn’t want tighter spreads.

But as I said, I pretty much accepted that this would happen months ago… and I have the PC version anyway, so it doesn’t really affect me that much. It does affect me in the sense that the people I enjoy teaming up with the most are on PS3, and that I plan on utilizing the clan update on that platform as well. While I don’t really mind having to get used to the differences when switching between platforms, I just feel that the game could even surpass Killzone 2 as the best class-based shooter for consoles, if it just had a higher skill ceiling for the guns.

(tokamak) #26

I’m sure Wolfnem is fine either way.

(wolfnemesis75) #27

[QUOTE=tokamak;383597]I’m sure Wolfnem is fine either way.[/QUOTE]ha ha ha. You still have hurt feelings that some may not share your view. You and that other guy who mentions me in every post he makes. Keep doing it, it cracks me up! I am looking forward to whatever SD does with Brink. And will give it a whorl. Ha ha. Its ok for me to enjoy something either way that you may or may not! Yay for being me and not you. :slight_smile:

(Crytiqal) #28

This sums it up

(Shinigami) #29

I agree with this. its this type of complacent mentality that makes developers/publishers think that they can hand us a piece of crap with a bow tied around it and we will be satisfied with it. I can already tell that the next patch will be a disappointment since only pc players are getting weapon tweaks. And clan support…unless clan support means that my guns will have lower spread when shooting at people who are not in my clan then clan support is not an improvement on the game

(thesuzukimethod) #30

I understand the limited time/money that are likely available for a ship that has sailed… (in terms of publisher demands, expectations, and most importantly, re$ource$ provided)

that said, there were a number of use console-ers who invested a bit of time giving feedback on weapons, as it was indicated that they were taking suggestions on all fronts.

if there were too many moving parts or balance issues that resulted from tweaks (rhett death ray anyone?), such that they decided to hold pat with existing weapons balance, that would be fine, and I would appreciate the effort…but the existence of weapons tweaks for PC indicates this is at least partially not the case (although I assume PC/steam patch deployment is at least marginally less complicated than MSN/PSN chaos…

that said, i’m a little disappointed that the time/effort we put in giving weapons feedback was for naught. had i know, i might have done something else with my time.

not sour grapes, not pissed or anything - it’s just a game after all - but it (giving feedback) seems a little pointless in retrospect (and in all honesty, i’m sure the PC guys would have preferred a lighter/leaner feedback forum too…i.e. minus our efforts/contribution (clutter?)

(zenstar) #31

They’re already having to go through the certification process for the rest of the update. It would make more sense to bundle the patches together to reduce downtime due to certification.
Unless they expect the weapon tweaks to break things.
What should have happened is PC should have been the testbed for weapon tweaks while the clan stuff was being finished off and then once the tweaks and clan stuff were ready then bundle together a patch for certification.

Downside: PC community is probably too small to provide usable feedback.

Unless these are PC specific tweaks which would need some explaining. I can understand adding spread to reduce the effectiveness of a sniper on PC due to the introduction of mouse (like the MNC sniper required tweaking when the game came to PC) but with the spread in Brink I don’t see them doing anything like that.

(wolfnemesis75) #32

[QUOTE=Crytiqal;383605]This sums it up[/QUOTE]whatever, dude. See what I did there? Next update will be cool to try out. So there.

(NthLegion) #33

I’m guessing this means consoles are not getting more accurate weapons. I really wanted to be behind Brink for the long haul, but without improved weapon accuracy, it won’t be more than an occasional distraction. The community is so small it’s hard to get full games as is, and clan support isn’t going to change that, but better gameplay might.

(thesuzukimethod) #34

[QUOTE=zenstar;383615]They’re already having to go through the certification process for the rest of the update. It would make more sense to bundle the patches together to reduce downtime due to certification.

Unless these are PC specific tweaks which would need some explaining. I can understand adding spread to reduce the effectiveness of a sniper on PC due to the introduction of mouse (like the MNC sniper required tweaking when the game came to PC) but with the spread in Brink I don’t see them doing anything like that.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree, just trying to make sense of it. My assumption is that while breaking the game is a definite concern (and unlikely, since it sounds like they did some pretty extensive testing), that both MS/Xbox-live and Sony/PSN are a more complex beast when it comes to approvals. Giving the PC hordes (or small crowds as it were) a chance to run through some of the testing before porting it over to console makes sense…but at this point i kinda assume they are running on fumes when it comes to Brink dev. U[/U]

There were some comments (from SD folks) in the wep-tweaks section that seemed to indicate that console might actually have a lower spread in some instances given the “ease” of mouse aiming compared to a controller, but nothing was every put in stone.

like i said, I’m happy to see the updates, and didnt consider the current weapons to be broken, per se, just was excited to see incremental improvements based on forum feedback and their own internal testing. And specifically, i was (selfishly?) hoping their internal testing would have done a bit of work on the ARs to give me a reason to play medium again. I’ll still play and enjoy it…

(Smokeskin) #35

Argh I sure hope they’re not tightening the spread on guns. Maybe if they removed headshot damage it would be ok. I don’t see why the game mechanics should let the boom headshot geeks ruin it for those of us who can’t hone our skills 10 hours per week.

(INF3RN0) #36

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA… stops to breath… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA (etc)

(Teufel_Eldritch) #37

OOooo a update! Neat!

(Fetter) #38

Looking forward to seeing what the weapon updates bring!

(Crytiqal) #39

trolololololololol

I guess every esports fps game is just a fun spoiler for you

(sereNADE) #40

lols thirded