[ Guide ] Custom Keybinds and Auto-Executables

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #1

Now I’ve seen a few posts pop up every now and again about setting certain actions (eg. long-jump / super-jump, etc.) to Custom Keybinds, so for the sake of newcomers I decided to make this short and simple guide; since none exists on the forums that I can find.

First, and foremost, you should know the specific designations of each keybinding in relation to Unreal Engine 3’s (i.e. UE3) terminology. Without knowing the correct terms the commands to set these Custom Keybinds will not work. For the sake of reference here is a link, straight from the official documentation for UE3, that has a list of the available Key Bindings.

Unreal Engine 3 Keybinds
https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Three/KeyBinds.html

Basics of Custom Keybinds

Now with regards to actually creating the Keybind for the action in question, in this case we will use long-jumps as an example and bind it to the Left Alt key, normally you would launch the game and open the console. After doing so you would input, into the console, the following command line:
SetBind LeftAlt “Duck | Jump” 1

Now whenever you press the Left-hand Alt button you will perform a long-jump on demand. Using this method, however, you are required to re-enter the command line any time there is a major update to the game that would reset the “.ini” files containing the in-game settings. So for the sake of convenience we will create an auto-executable (ie. AutoExec) file that will automatically run the command line every time the game is launched.

Creating an AutoExec File

Now to start off open up Notepad, or any other basic text-editing software available, and type the same command line in. After this save the document but do not confirm the save just yet. You want to first navigate through your main Hard-drive to the programs folder for Steam. After that follow through the corresponding path of “SteamApps>Common>Dirty Bomb>Binaries” and than go down to the file format. Upon clicking it should show a drop-down menu, click “All Files”. Now input the name you will save it as, which is “autoexec.cfg”, and confirm the save. You will want to make sure to enter the file extension otherwise this doesn’t work. Last thing you need to do is go to your Steam Library and right-click on Dirty Bomb. This will open a drop-down menu once more, click on “Properties” and finally on “Set Launch Options”. This will now open up an input box into which you will enter the following command line:
-exec=autoexec.cfg

Now when you launch your game whatever commands are currently inside that file will automatically be run which means you will never lose your Custom Keybind.

Special Thanks to:

Sgt. Peperoni for his Steam Guide on the subject. It is part of what prompted me to make a similar guide here where it is more immediately visible to new players.

You can find his guide here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/333930/guides/

If any errors are present in this guide or you have a question feel free to post a comment and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

Question: I’ve set the Custom Keybind to and it isn’t working. Why?

Answer: There are a few things that can cause the Custom Keybind to not function properly, so the easiest way to solve the problem is by eliminating the possibilities one-by-one:

• The most basic of causes is that the Custom Keybind in question is bound to a Key Binding already in use for another action in-game; simply Unbind it via the in-game Control Settings and then restart Dirty Bomb.

• Another possibility is that the Command Line was entered incorrectly (improper syntax or structure, etc.).

• The last notable possibility is that the Key Bind Name that was entered was incorrect, and didn’t correspond to any of the Key Bindings that Unreal Engine 3 (i.e. UE3) recognizes; be sure to double check ,via the associated link in the guide, and ensure the Key Bind Name matches up with the one listed in the linked UE3 Documentation.

Question: I’ve set everything up properly but it still isn’t working. What do I do?

Answer: Make sure you completed the final step mentioned in the Guide properly, and that the associated Launch Option Command Line is entered correctly; the Auto-Executable is inactive without this Command Line as it prompts Steam to direct the Game Client to load & run the file in question before launching.

Question: Does the name of the .cfg file matter?

Answer: No, it doesn’t. The name used in this guide is merely for the sake of convenience in explaining the topic; as long as it is a .cfg file, and is stored in the proper location on your Hard Drive, it shouldn’t matter what you name the file. It should be noted that the name of the file must match the one you use in the Launch Option Command Line, otherwise it will not load the Auto-Executable and run its Command Lines.

Change Log:

February 4, 2018

• Updated the layout slightly
  • Improved emphasis to key points of the guide
  • Added the missing step for setting up the “AutoExec” file.

June 4, 2018

• Added a F.A.Q. section to the guide
  • Slight alterations to layout
  • Improved emphasis to key points of the guide

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #2

@Eox @Kirays by the way if we could sticky this that’d be great.

(Eox) #3

@-OCB-Wildcard said:

Do you really think this thread is worth being pinned ?

Trick question : it is. :stuck_out_tongue:

I might move it somewhere else if needed though.

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #4

@Eox said:

@-OCB-Wildcard said:

Do you really think this thread is worth being pinned ?

Trick question : it is. :stuck_out_tongue:

I might move it somewhere else if needed though.

No problem if it has to be moved it gets moved purpose was more to make it so one even exists on this forum xD (cause I couldn’t find one anywhere outside steam guides and how many new players actually check those >_>)

(Xenithos) #5

I love you Wildcard. I essentially did this a long time ago and helped a few people through things like this because they play on laptops and long jumping on those keyboards is pretty close to impossible.

Love this thread, love that it’s stickied, love everything about it’s purpose and simpleness.
I also love that really important link. That’s one of the hardest links to EVER find through google because of UE4.

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #6

@Xenithos said:
I love you Wildcard. I essentially did this a long time ago and helped a few people through things like this because they play on laptops and long jumping on those keyboards is pretty close to impossible.

Love this thread, love that it’s stickied, love everything about it’s purpose and simpleness.
I also love that really important link. That’s one of the hardest links to EVER find through google because of UE4.

Yeah it is harder to find it since the new engine came out. I had to make a somewhat educated guess based on the url for the UE4 version and what I found from the url on the linked steam guide (the link used to work but Epic Games have since changed the url for w/e reason to what is linked here). Also I kinda felt it was about time a guide like this was made here seeing as we’re getting more new players, and hopefully will get more down the road, so the question was bound to pop up (I kinda figured, to be honest, that the forum mods were probably getting tired of having to close repeat posts from the same people about this topic as well. This will keep it to one place at least).

It did feel right though, to finally try and give something back to the community that’s given me so many enjoyable moments on DB. So, with that said, I’m glad you found it satisfactory and I hope it proves useful to others as well.

(Stokes1) #7

@-OCB-Wildcard said:
Now I’ve seen a few posts pop up every now and again about setting certain actions (eg. long-jump / super-jump, etc.) to custom keybinds, so for the sake of newcomers I decided to make this short and simple guide; since none exists on the forums that I can find.

First, and foremost, you should know the specific designations of each keybinding in relation to Unreal Engine 3’s (ie. UE3) terminology. Without knowing the correct terms the commands to set these custom keybinds will not work. For the sake of reference here is a link, straight from the official documentation for UE3, that has a list of the available keybinds.

Unreal Engine 3 Keybinds

Now with regards to actually creating the keybind for the action in question, in this case we will use long-jumps as an example and bind it to the Left Alt key, normally you would launch the game and open the console. After doing so you would input, into the console, the following command line:

Now whenever you press the Left-hand Alt button you will perform a long-jump on demand. Using this method, however, you are required to re-enter the command line any time there is a major update to the game that would reset the “.ini” files containing the in-game settings. So for the sake of convenience we will create an auto-executable (ie. AutoExec) file that will automatically run the command line every time the game is launched.

Now to start off open up Notepad, or any other basic text-editing software available, and type the same command line in. After this save the document but do not confirm the save just yet. You want to first navigate through your main Hard-drive to the programs folder for Steam. After that follow through the corresponding path of “SteamApps>Common>Dirty Bomb>Binaries” and than go down to the file format. Upon clicking it should show a drop-down menu, click “All Files”. Now input the name you will save it as, which is “autoexec.cfg”, and confirm the save. You will want to make sure to enter the file extension otherwise this doesn’t work. Last thing you need to do is go to your Steam Library and right-click on Dirty Bomb. This will open a drop-down menu once more, click on “Properties” and finally on “Set Launch Options”. This will now open up an input box into which you will enter the following command line:
-exec=autoconfig.cfg

Now when you launch your game whatever commands are currently inside that file will automatically be run which means you will never lose your custom keybind.

Special Thanks to:

Sgt. Peperoni for his Steam Guide on the subject. It is part of what prompted me to make a similar guide here where it is more immediately visible to new players.

If any errors are present in this guide or you have a question feel free to post a comment and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

Change Log:

February 4, 2018

! * Updated the layout slightly
! * Improved emphasis to key points of the guide
! * Added the missing step for setting up the “AutoExec” file.

How come this isn’t a form of cheating?

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #8

@Stokes1 said:

@-OCB-Wildcard said:
Now I’ve seen a few posts pop up every now and again about setting certain actions (eg. long-jump / super-jump, etc.) to custom keybinds, so for the sake of newcomers I decided to make this short and simple guide; since none exists on the forums that I can find.

First, and foremost, you should know the specific designations of each keybinding in relation to Unreal Engine 3’s (ie. UE3) terminology. Without knowing the correct terms the commands to set these custom keybinds will not work. For the sake of reference here is a link, straight from the official documentation for UE3, that has a list of the available keybinds.

Unreal Engine 3 Keybinds

Now with regards to actually creating the keybind for the action in question, in this case we will use long-jumps as an example and bind it to the Left Alt key, normally you would launch the game and open the console. After doing so you would input, into the console, the following command line:

-exec=autoconfig.cfg

Now when you launch your game whatever commands are currently inside that file will automatically be run which means you will never lose your custom keybind.

Special Thanks to:

Change Log:

February 4, 2018

Almost all PC shooters have something akin to this that can be done via the use of auto-executable files. It’s a part of gaming that you’ll simply have to get used to, as it isn’t going anywhere; I’m not sure how you could consider it cheating as it doesn’t give any significant advantage (it simply prevents issues on the server-side and engine from ruining consistency). Also beyond long-jumps you can create binds for the V-Chat options, but there really isn’t much use for them outside those few things in DB; since custom hit-sounds aren’t something you can do, as far as I know (and that’s not an advantage it’s just customization).

(GatoCommodore) #9

how do you bind V57 to everytime you kill someone?

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #10

@GatoCommodore said:

Pretty sure you’d have to create a bind for it and set up a macro to do something like that. For a point of reference if you set the bind to say, for instance, ThumbMouseButton via this command line:
SetBind ThumbMouseButton “V | 5 | 7” 1

You could technically press it at every kill easily. To do anything beyond that you’d need to create the bind, then use a scripted macro to simulate the pressing of the key binding every time the associated value increases (it’s technically possible to do this but the anti-cheat software would likely flag you for it).

(GatoCommodore) #11

@-OCB-Wildcard said:

@GatoCommodore said:

Pretty sure you’d have to create a bind for it and set up a macro to do something like that. For a point of reference if you set the bind to say, for instance, ThumbMouseButton via this command line:

You could technically press it at every kill easily. To do anything beyond that you’d need to create the bind, then use a scripted macro to simulate the pressing of the key binding every time the associated value increases (it’s technically possible to do this but the anti-cheat software would likely flag you for it).

ayy im gonna try it right now thx for the help my dude

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #12

@GatoCommodore said:

@-OCB-Wildcard said:

@GatoCommodore said:

ayy im gonna try it right now thx for the help my dude

No problem. The only real complication with setting it to happen every time you kill someone automatically is that for you to even do it with a scripted macro, you’d have to know the exact designation of the variable in question used by SD in the source code. To do that you’d have to do something inadvisable, and technically illegal, namely decompiling the games engine; this would grant you access to the source code, enabling you to locate the name of the variable in question.

Besides even if, and this is a big “if”, I could do that and knew the variable I wouldn’t be saying anything about it to anyone; not with how many legal implications that come with the process of acquiring such information without working for Splash Damage.

(Stokes1) #13

@-OCB-Wildcard said:

@Stokes1 said:

@-OCB-Wildcard said:

Unreal Engine 3 Keybinds

-exec=autoconfig.cfg

Special Thanks to:

Change Log:

February 4, 2018

Almost all PC shooters have something akin to this that can be done via the use of auto-executable files. It’s a part of gaming that you’ll simply have to get used to, as it isn’t going anywhere; I’m not sure how you could consider it cheating as it doesn’t give any significant advantage (it simply prevents issues on the server-side and engine from ruining consistency). Also beyond long-jumps you can create binds for the V-Chat options, but there really isn’t much use for them outside those few things in DB; since custom hit-sounds aren’t something you can do, as far as I know (and that’s not an advantage it’s just customization).

Thanks for clearing that up for me :slight_smile:

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #14

@Eox @Kirays
Would it be possible to unlock the original post for me so I can add in a FAQ section for the guide? I can no longer edit it as it has passed the week-long timer.

Nope, I can’t. I don’t know why it does that but if you want you can send me what you want to have included and I’ll edit it myself.

(Kehoru) #16

Hey there,
Thank you for this thread. I’d just like to warn you about something;

You’re asking to name the new file “autoexec.cfg” while the launch option is set to “autoconfig.cfg”. Nothing urgent or anything, but I’d rather say it just in case.

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #17

@Kehoru said:
Hey there,
Thank you for this thread. I’d just like to warn you about something;

You’re asking to name the new file “autoexec.cfg” while the launch option is set to “autoconfig.cfg”. Nothing urgent or anything, but I’d rather say it just in case.

Launch Option works with anything actually (as far as I can recall), it just requires a .cfg file with the proper command lines. I merely use autoexec.cfg as the file name since it’s the most commonly referred to term for this form of file across various games and related guides; which is something that makes it easier to grasp the purpose of, without the need of excessive explanation for those without aforementioned experience. You could technically call it anything you wanted and it would work, as I use this exact file name listed in this guide in my Launch Options, and it would work just fine; I certainly haven’t hit any issues regarding this to date.

Thank you for considering the possibility and bringing it up though, I appreciate the thought. If it does become an issue I’ll resolve it and have the post edited to fit the current information, but right now there doesn’t seem to be an issue with it.

Edit: @Kehoru I just noticed it was a typo that I missed. I fixed it when I made the addition of the FAQ section; since I can edit the post again with the new forum so it was an easy change to make. Thanks for pointing that out, I must’ve missed that during proof-reading when I made this post.

(D'@athi) #18

Yeah, I heard of it, many other people seem to appreciate it, too. So Kehoru, you are surely able to call your *.cfg whatever you like. Call it “always-on-point.cfg” or “no-recoil.cfg” or “always 10 pixels below the name” or “thank-the-devs.cfg”. No problem, call it, whatever you like, as long as the devs don’t get, why there is no scripted-command-execution availible in the cs-cfg’s after launching/joining a map.

([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #19

@Eox @Kirays We’ll need to have this sticky’d again as it seems to no longer be sticky’d after the forum rework.

(Eox) pinned #20