Give me the option to not be included in Backfilling.

(JonBongNoJovi) #1

I don’t want to join a game where your on 1st objective with like 3 minutes left . There is no fun in it at all to be had in doing this. Last 3 games have been this way , antifun is best way to describe the experiences.

(kittz0r) #2

SO basically SD can’t make it right.

Backfilling = pls no
no Backfilling = pls wtf, give us new players
CMM = we need CMM
CMM = f uck that, CMM is shit

can Casual people make up their Mind?

(everlovestruck) #3

@kittz0r said:

Backfilling = pls no
CMM = we need CMM
CMM = f uck that, CMM is @$!#

not even top budget developers can please everyone, wow big deal

excuse me?

(BloodySin) #4

@kittz0r said:
Yeah, because asking for an option to opt-out of something/only be included in games that are at the Lobby is so outraging.

(SnakekillerX) #5

@BloodySin said:

@kittz0r said:
Yeah, because asking for an option to opt-out of something/only be included in games that are at the Lobby is so outraging.

Why should you expect people to back fill your server if you aren’t willing to do it for others?
What would happen if everyone opted out?

As long as I don’t get back filled in multiple times in a row then this should be a non-issue.
Playing in a party (the more people the better) is also a good way to ensure you don’t get sent to a mid match server.

(emjot) #6

I think that’s like… no problem at all? You can leave the game or have TDM for 3 minutes.
If you feel playing hardcore OBJ-oriented game, try Ranked Match. Casual is casual (even #notcasualenough)

(BloodySin) #7

@SnakekillerX said:
Why should you expect people to back fill your server if you aren’t willing to do it for others?
What would happen if everyone opted out?

As long as I don’t get back filled in multiple times in a row then this should be a non-issue.

• Because they don’t mind doing it;
  • The number of fresh games with less people would increase;
  • As long as you’re not forced to opt-out, it shouldn’t be an issue to you.

Also, take note that his complain isn’t about any backfilling, but in being basically used as fodder to fill lost games near the end. I join running games all the time, but I do loathe reading a “Match Just Started” and logging in to a losing screen, literally. More accurate information about matches in the Browser would definitely be nice, as it probably would for people who end backfilling to be able to not get shoved into games near the end.

(SnakekillerX) #8

Basically what I meant was to be fair it needs to include everyone in for backfilling if it is going to work properly. As soon as an option becomes available to opt out, a lot of people will choose it, because it might be inconvenient to them sometimes, but in reality ends up being inconvenient to everyone else when the game can’t find people to use as back filling.

If people Opt out then they should be put into separate servers where because of their option their servers will not be back filled either. That would be fair.

Not a good solution however, because it would split the search que between people who opt in, and people who opt out.

Which leads me to my previous point that it is fine as is, so long as the game makes sure you aren’t being used as the back filled person multiple times in a row.

(Melinder) #9

Perhaps a way to settle both sides of the argument - have the matchmaking system notify you as to whether you’re joining a match in progress, or a completely new match. If the former, have a snapshot of the current scoreboard and timer shown, allowing you to see whether you’re joining a stomp or not.

The game will end shortly if it’s a stomp, so I see no point in wasting time joining, though if the scoreboard shows relatively even scores across the board, you can join being confident that you aren’t joining a complete stomp.

(SnakekillerX) #10

@Melinder said:
Perhaps a way to settle both sides of the argument - have the matchmaking system notify you as to whether you’re joining a match in progress, or a completely new match. If the former, have a snapshot of the current scoreboard and timer shown, allowing you to see whether you’re joining a stomp or not.

The game will end shortly if it’s a stomp, so I see no point in wasting time joining, though if the scoreboard shows relatively even scores across the board, you can join being confident that you aren’t joining a complete stomp.

Except the point of these match made games is to be put into a server somewhat blindly. It doesn’t show any of your enemies information until you get put into the server. Given that we are trusting a system to match make us, we should trust that same system to pick a proper person to fill a match to help rebalance the match.

If you start giving ways for people to circumvent the way the system has been designed it becomes more and more difficult for the system to obtain proper information from matches and the actions it is taking to improve its match making system.

Furthermore, if you get a backfill request and start scanning peoples scores, and kills, etc…
then deny the back fill request from the server, it is wasted time towards the people in that server who need the extra player, making it even more likely that they are going to lose.

(BloodySin) #11

Except for the fact that someone in the position described is much more likely to just leave right away and look for a new game instead of sticking around and wasting time in a lost game near the end. It “including everyone” is an illusion when people will just leave the game anyways. If someone hates backfilling, the chances of them “dealing with it” are generally smaller than that of them leaving and re-queuing or going play something else.

(SnakekillerX) #12

They might just get put back into the same match though…

(BloodySin) #13

And that would work out great for people frustrated because they aren’t having fun.

(SnakekillerX) #14

I feel like I am giving out valid points and am just being replied to with “but people will cry about it”.

(BloodySin) #15

No, you’re the one “crying about it,” when people are asking to have options, because them having options might mean your games not being filled by unwilling players.

(watsyurdeal) #16

@kittz0r said:

Backfilling = pls no
CMM = we need CMM
CMM = f uck that, CMM is @$!#

No, this is why we just need a server browser

Think of casual matchmaking like the government, the more it tries to get involved the more it fucks everything up.

(SnakekillerX) #17

@BloodySin said:
No, you’re the one “crying about it,” when people are asking to have options, because them having options might mean your games not being filled by unwilling players.

How am I crying? I’ve described how the system works and why it would be good and why it would be bad to have these options, as well as alternatives and their pros and cons.

You have the right to disagree, but please bring in more of an argument than “I don’t want to be back filled.”

(watsyurdeal) #18

Here you go

Reinforcements XP - an additional xp boost when you join a game late, the amount you get depends on whether your team wins or loses

(BloodySin) #19

@SnakekillerX said:
How am I crying? I’ve described how the system works and why it would be good and why it would be bad to have these options, as well as alternatives and their pros and cons.

You have the right to disagree, but please bring in more of an argument than “I don’t want to be back filled.”
You fabricated a requirement to create separate servers for people who opt-out and those who don’t to justify why it would be “bad.” There’s no need for such a separation to exist - people who don’t mind backfilling shouldn’t mind doing so with people who do; that’s basing it on being petty.

I don’t play CMM, I only play browser, so I don’t have any issue with backfilling, but I’m all for people to have options that won’t break the game and will allow them to have a higher chance of enjoying their time in the game.

(SnakekillerX) #20

@BloodySin said:

@SnakekillerX said:

You fabricated a requirement to create separate servers for people who opt-out and those who don’t to justify why it would be “bad.” There’s no need for such a separation to exist - people who don’t mind backfilling shouldn’t mind doing so with people who do; that’s basing it on being petty.

I don’t play CMM, I only play browser, so I don’t have any issue with backfilling, but I’m all for people to have options that won’t break the game and will allow them to have a higher chance of enjoying their time in the game.

Look… the separation was just to show a fair for all alternative. Because you can’t expect other people to join your matches to help out your team while not being able to reciprocate. No one WANTS to be the back filled person, but we deal with it because it makes a better experience for matches that need it.

Other games do similar things with breaking up game queues too.
If you bail on an on going match, you get put into a separate queue where you will only play with other people who are also marked as “quitters”.

And if we want to talk about petty, I can think not too far back where a whole game mode was removed because some people didn’t play it and wanted to see it gone for some reason rather than keep a few servers up for people who enjoyed the game mode and only played that game mode. That game mode will remain nameless.