Game Server Doesn't Appear On Browser List

(sparky) #1

I’ve set up a server through the manual method, with config and creating a brink server icon with batch file and +set commands in the executable script. I have also set up a server through Brinks automated server creator through STEAM. Both of them run off of my server.cfg successfully since I see that it executes it on the console window. And although I get my console window, when I open up a Brink client I go to the browser and I do not see the si_name that I created. I sort the servers by ping and since it’s off my own pc it should be the lowest but I don’t see it anywhere on the first page.

I’m at work right now so I don’t have the command, but there is a command that is suggested be used in the +set commands for the icons which allows multiple sessions of brink to run at the same time–I did that.
But just in case that was still the problem, what I did to test it is run only the server console window and go to a website that shows all active online brink servers realtime, I do not see my server listed there either.

steam://rungameid/72780 +exec server_objective_standard_vs.cfg +spawnServer mp/aquarium.entities +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +exec server.cfg

I made sure that my mcaffee firewall is turned off as well as allowed the 3 required ports through my Linksys router. I have also unchecked the ticker on my router for “not allow anonymous entries”.

So with all firewalls off, twl config, router settings, I still cannot see my server through server browser by name nor by my ip which I got off of whatsmyip.com.

Any suggestions?

(Crytiqal) #2

can you connect to it by ip?

(HugePinball) #3

For a dedicated server you should launch using brink.exe (in the “brink dedicated server” folder), not a steam shortcut. There are three sample batch files in that same folder you can use as an example. Create another .bat file in that folder with the server startup settings you want, then you can drag a shortcut to that out to your desktop or wherever.

The “+set win_allowMultipleInstances 1” is only needed in the launch options of the regular game if you’re intending to run a dedicated server on your PC at the same time. It’s not needed for the dedicated server.

BTW, in that folder you’ll also find the Dedicated Server guide (pdf) that explains a lot of the basics.

(sparky) #4

No, as stated on the last line I cannot connect even directly to the ip using the direct connect in the menu nor by the command cvar “connect”.

I’m pretty sure it’s not a client to server conenction problem, I’m thinking it’s more a server config error of some kind. Unless there is an additional firewall that I am unaware of.

(sparky) #5

Correct, that’s exactly what I did.

I had it in both the server and the client. As long as it is in the client it should be good right? I’m assuming so because only the client looks at the cvar. I think the server disregards it totally.

It was the PDF which I followed in order to do all of the above.

I noticed someone just posted an almost identical post as this one yesterday. Some solutions as to the order in which some commands appear sound like they may be the solution. I’m going to try it.

(HugePinball) #6

You posted:

steam://rungameid/72780 +exec server_objective_standard_vs.cfg +spawnServer mp/aquarium.entities +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +exec server.cfg

“steam://rungameid/72780” is a Steam shortcut.

The contents of the example batch file brink_ded1.bat are:

brink.exe +set net_serverDedicated 1 +set si_name "Brink Dedicated Server 1" +set net_serverPort 27015 +set net_serverPortMaster 27016

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #7

I am using a GSP, but my server didn’t show up until I added the si_name variable to the command line. If it had it just in the server.cfg, it didn’t show up on the master server. ever.

(SebaSOFT) #8

That is a valuable piece of information.

SD, get that BUG!!!

(Major_Day) #9

[quote=sparky;339998]No, as stated on the last line I cannot connect even directly to the ip using the direct connect in the menu nor by the command cvar “connect”.

I’m pretty sure it’s not a client to server conenction problem, I’m thinking it’s more a server config error of some kind. Unless there is an additional firewall that I am unaware of.[/quote]

You can’t run a dedicated server on your pc, and play on that server as well, its a router/network limitation.
Its the same with many games, not just brink.
You would need to join the server from another pc on the same LAN.

(HugePinball) #10

[QUOTE=Major_Day;340212]You can’t run a dedicated server on your pc, and play on that server as well, its a router/network limitation.
You would need to join the server from another pc on the same LAN.[/QUOTE]
Sure you can, I’m doing it right now. If I alt-tab out of the game and open the Steam server browser, I can see the dedicated server listed on the LAN tab with my local IP, and on the Internet tab with my WAN IP. The same goes for the other dedicated server currently running on my laptop. I can join either one, as can anyone from the internet.

(Crytiqal) #11

[QUOTE=Major_Day;340212]You can’t run a dedicated server on your pc, and play on that server as well, its a router/network limitation.

Dude, please don’t comment on stuff you don’t know. :rolleyes:

(sparky) #12

Thanks for the try but in case you didn’t know it’s true. I’ve run servers on my computer since RTCW. You can play on it from the same pc and have many other players on the internet connect as well. The more people connect, the more laggier the server but if you are running T1 level or higher, you won’t notice it until maybe the 16th player or more.

:slight_smile:

(Deadwalking) #13

Sparky post up your config file.

and I was just noticing that you load 2 seperate config in the command line or .bat file. 1 is exec after spanServer command.

I personally take the stock .cfg I like and copy paste it, then rename to somethign easier and shorter to type. Then inside the new .cfg I add after SD’s already present cvars the cvars I want to. Last 2 things I have in my one .cfg file I load is g_mapRotation or g_mapVote(not both) and finally spawnServer mp/aquarium.

You have

+exec server_objective_standard_vs.cfg +spawnServer mp/aquarium.entities +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +exec server.cfg

I would use which is similar to what HugePinball already put up here.

+set net_serverDedicated 1 +set si_name "Your server name" +set net_serverPort 27015 +set net_serverPortMaster 27016 +set net_serverAuthPort 8767 +set net_serverAllowHijacking 0 +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +exec server.cfg

You can also add +set exec_maxThreads to the commandline/.bat and I wouldn’t know what value to set that will work well running client and server from same machine. And dont forget to add the serverSpawn mp/aquarium to your server.cfg file.

Best thing to do probably would be to use only cvars in th sample .cfg for the game type you want add the si_name “” and serverSpawn command to it and get it visible without trying to do to much to it. Once it is visible you can then add any and all cvars you feel you need to change in order to get the game play you are looking for. SD dosn’t recommend using cvars outside of what they provided in a .cfg as it may have been causing problems for server owners, but on the same token there are many Custom servers sitting on the Browser, so obviously it can be done.

(sparky) #14

Server.cfg

applyServerConfig Custom 
si_rules sdGameRulesStopWatch 
si_name "Clean Server"

//config

bot_minClients 			"0"

g_abilitiesEngineer "building repairing disarming weapon_buff1 gear_head1 landmine left turret2 right extra_plates down"
g_abilitiesGlobal "grenade_shooting hardened_skin power_maximum_increase sprinting_grenade sprinting_reload power_rate_increase silent_movement"
g_abilitiesMedic "revive life_buff1 increase_power2 life_buff2 light_feet1 left metabolism1 right aoe_revive down"
g_abilitiesOperative "spotting hacking disguise_self hack_commandpost hack_turret control_turret_remotely sticky_bomb left caltrop_bomb right"
g_abilitiesSoldier "charge give_ammo armor_piercing_rounds extra_magazine extra_layers1 grenade_mastery grenade_aoe grenade_damage1 search_bodies1 grenade_molotov left grenade_flash right"
g_countdown 			"0.0"
g_deadSpectateTime 		"-1"
g_enableIntelGathering 	"0"
g_enableSuperBuffs 		"0"
g_enableTeamBuffs 		"1"
g_gameReviewPause		"0.33"
g_spectateFreeFly 		"1"
g_spectatorMode 		"1"
g_warmupDamage 			"1"

net_serverAllowHijacking 	"0"

si_allowOvertime 		"0"
si_disableVoting 		"1"
si_enemyTintEnabled 		"0"
si_maxTeamSize 			"5"
si_minPlayers 			"10"
si_onlineMode 			"3"
si_playmode 			"2"
si_rankRestricted 		"0"
si_readyPercent 		"100"
si_scorelimit 			"0"
si_scriptControlledtimeLimit 	"0"
si_teamDamage 			"1"
si_teamForceBalance 		"0"
si_timelimit 			"20"
si_warmupSpawn 			"1"

spawnserver mp/terminal

Set Launch Options

+set net_serverDedicated 1 +set net_serverPort 27015 +set net_serverPortMaster 27016 +set net_serverAuthPort 8767 +set net_serverAllowHijacking 0 +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +exec server.cfg

brink_ded1.bat

brink.exe +set net_serverDedicated 1 +set net_serverPort 27015 +set net_serverPortMaster 27016 +set net_serverAuthPort 8767 +set net_serverAllowHijacking 0 +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +exec server.cfg

All Stats Cleared.
The server still shows as a good server but only that it is in LAN and not in INTERNET.
:frowning:

(Deadwalking) #15

Did you try everything you have going on and add the +set si_name to your command line or .bat, as suggested by EnderWiggin.DA. ?

and are you running 2 sets of launch options or just using only a .bat file? Just because you show Set Launch Options and brink_ded1.bat, you only need one or the other, and it is throwing me off having both in your last post.

After looking at your config a while some things I notice in the config is that there are a lot of spaces between your cvars and the values, I don’t know if IdTech4 can get around this or not but some game engines will not except a cvar that has more than one space between the cvar and the value for it.

Also

applyServerConfig Custom 

should be according to AO from SD from this post
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28401&highlight=spawnServer

applyServerConfig Custom 

I would personally use applyServerConfig Advanced and just let it change to Custom on its own, but I don’t think that is why it isn’t showing up.

and

bot_minClients "0"

should be

bot_minClients "-1"

for no bots, but to keep the objective based bots. This shouldn’t be the problem with not showing in the browser,but will help after you get it going.

Also remove your second entry of si_rules towards the bottom of your config.

Last thing that I forgot before edit is if that still dosn’t work with changes made from my new post. You may need to add

+set fs_userpath  C:/folder directory of your choice. 

to the brink_ded1.bat or your command line and set it to something you can find directory wise.

What that will do is cause the dedicated server to save its brinkdedconfig.cfg and all the logs and such to that newly set directory, and prevent it from trying to read anything from the client files by accident.

Or try using only the bare needed cvars in your config make a new .cfg called test.cfg and change your .bat file or command line to match then add to test.cfg

applyServerConfig Advanced
si_name "Clean Server"
net_serverAllowHijacking "0"
spawnServer mp/aquarium

See if it at least shows up with no modification

–Edit # 2
Another thing that may help is to use +set net_ip your.external.IP.address.
Another

(Brainless) #16

So with all firewalls off, twl config, router settings, I still cannot see my server through server browser by name nor by my ip which I got off of whatsmyip.com.

You have and option in your linksys router called DMZ. You have to fill in the ip of the server. Then it’s allowed to send info outside the linksys router. You can only fill in 1 ip. So I hope it’s stattic.
If you don’t have that you never see your server in a server list.

If you fill in the static ip from you inside network it gets the outside ip that you get from your isp. if someone want to connect to you outside ip the router know’s which computer to access.

(Deadwalking) #17

DMZ should only be used to test port forwarding issues. Once the issue is determined to be port forwarding you then should fix the port forwarding in the router and turn DMZ off.

In considering ports you may want to look at what Crytiqal posted in Dolo_420’s post that you also posted in Sparky, possible conflict with the client and the server both trying to operate on the same port. So try changing your ports to 27017 27018 8768. You obviously would need to adjust your port forwarding to match.

(sparky) #18

[QUOTE=Deadwalking;341443]Did you try everything you have going on and add the +set si_name to your command line or .bat, as suggested by EnderWiggin.DA. ?[/quote] Yes I tried everything above. Yes, as the above code shows the si_name was in the command line. I didn’t put the server name in the bat because that has never given me any problem. Every time I change the server name, it always shows the new name that I put in my config and launch file.

and are you running 2 sets of launch options or just using only a .bat file? Just because you show Set Launch Options and brink_ded1.bat, you only need one or the other, and it is throwing me off having both in your last post.
I placed it in both just in case it takes from one and not the other. As you said, it will only pull from one or the other not both so I have it in both so that whichever it decides to look at, it will both be accurate.

After looking at your config a while some things I notice in the config is that there are a lot of spaces between your cvars and the values, I don’t know if IdTech4 can get around this or not but some game engines will not except a cvar that has more than one space between the cvar and the value for it.
This config is esl competition config. I only removed all the remarks from it. If you’d like to post your config without the server name, I can use it but I have already removed all the spaces and it still doesn’t work.

Also

applyServerConfig Custom 

should be according to AO from SD from this post
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28401&highlight=spawnServer

applyServerConfig Custom 

Done

Also remove your second entry of si_rules towards the bottom of your config.

changed

Last thing that I forgot before edit is if that still dosn’t work with changes made from my new post. You may need to add
+set fs_userpath C:/folder directory of your choice.
to the brink_ded1.bat or your command line and set it to something you can find directory wise.

When I try to change the launch to
+set fs_userpath C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\brink dedicated server brink.exe +set net_serverDedicated 1 +set net_serverPort 27015 +set net_serverPortMaster 27016 +set net_serverAuthPort 8767 +set net_serverAllowHijacking 0 +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +exec server.cfg
it cuts off at the server.cfg because of character limitation so I will not be able to put the userpath. It shouldn’t matter because as I have been saying all this time, the server operates perfectly–it just doesn’t show on internet, only lan. So I took off the path and left it like this
+set net_serverDedicated 1 +set net_serverPort 27015 +set net_serverPortMaster 27016 +set net_serverAuthPort 8767 +set net_serverAllowHijacking 0 +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +exec server.cfg

Or try using only the bare needed cvars in your config make a new .cfg called test.cfg and change your .bat file or command line to match then add to test.cfg

applyServerConfig Advanced
si_name “Clean Server”
net_serverAllowHijacking “0”
spawnServer mp/aquarium
See if it at least shows up with no modification

I saved a file called test.cfg with the above in my base path for dedicated server and it still doesn’t show after execing test.cfg in my server console window.

Another thing that may help is to use +set net_ip your.external.IP.address.

after changing it in launch and batch file, i ran the server and it was still in lan. I then went to the server console window and typed net_ip to ask what the ip was, here is what I found:

]net_ip
“net_ip” is:“localhost” default:“localhost”
local IP address
]net_ip 69.115.123.104
]net_ip
“net_ip” is:“69.115.123.104” default:“localhost”
local IP address

I’m not sure why it says local ip address on the last line but I checked again and the server is still lan.

Thanks for trying to help but i really think the problem has to do with a router setup trouble.

(sparky) #19

[QUOTE=Brainless;341447]You have and option in your linksys router called DMZ. You have to fill in the ip of the server. Then it’s allowed to send info outside the linksys router. You can only fill in 1 ip. So I hope it’s stattic.
If you don’t have that you never see your server in a server list.

If you fill in the static ip from you inside network it gets the outside ip that you get from your isp. if someone want to connect to you outside ip the router know’s which computer to access.[/QUOTE]

I found the dmz option and changed it to “enabled” and then I changed the last digit to 1. So now it’s 192.168.1.1 but it still doesnt show. My ip has been the same since more than a month now so it seems to be static. I dont know where to fill in the static ip into the router, please indicate this. I have a linksys wrt54g.

(Brainless) #20

You have to fill there the ip of the server. 192.168.1.1 is the default gateway.

The stattic ip you give manually in you pc. If you stay below 100 in the last 3 digits you have no trouble with your DHCP server in the linksys. If i’m right it starts giving ip’s from 100

Manually give you pc the ip.

DMZ has to be then

To access it direct connect to your WAN ip.