Game Server Doesn't Appear On Browser List

(Deadwalking) #21

Ok so after getting frustrated with this post I went ahead and DL the Dedicated Server to my game machine.

I then made a new .bat file test.bat(don’t use Steam to launch your dedi server or a shortcut use the .bat)

brink.exe +set net_serverDedicated 1 +set si_name "Multiple Instances" +set net_serverPort 27017 +set net_serverPortMaster 27018 +set net_serverAuthPort 8768 +set net_serverAllowHijacking 0 +set win_allowMultipleInstances 1 +set fs_userpath "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\brink dedicated server" +exec test.cfg

I will add here that using +set net_ip in your command line trying to run a LAN server or Listen server failed every time. Server console hangs at an error pertaining to the ports I was trying to use since my PC registers its IP as a network IP not a internet IP.

Next I created a new .cfg test.cfg(in its appropriate directory)

si_rules sdGameRulesStopWatch 
applyServerConfig Advanced
si_name "Multiple Instances"

spawnServer mp/aquarium

I then fired up the server using the .bat file. Next I waited about 5 seconds and then used the Steam server browser to see if my server appeared and low and behold first server on the list sorting by ping! So I right click the server and click on View Server Info, and low and behold again it has my external IP. Next I fire up Brink client go directly to Freeplay, checking servers thru the internet setting and no server(not that I expected it to be there). So I then went back to Freeplay menu select LAN and do a server search, and what do you know my server is there. So I go back to Freeplay and do a direct connect trying both external and internal IP of my network, and the only ways I was able to connect to my server was by using 127.0.0.1:27017 or my router designated ip 192.168.1.***. Don’t really feel like posting up my internal address for others to see how my router is configured.

So I would say you are not connecting to your server thru direct connect with the correct IP. Internal network IP is always 127.0.0.1 or the IP set to your machine by your router. But being as you have been running Listen servers since RTCW you already knew that right.

I will also leave my server running for now it will probably be a poopy ping for you, but can you at least see if you can see it in the in-game Browser and connect to it? The Name is Multiple Instances.

A good thing to look at when using a listen server thru a Steam product is to check the Steam Server Browser.

In conclusion if you can see my server and connect to it then your server has been there on the internet in game browser everytime you have been able to see it on the LAN tab as long as your Port Forwarding is accurate.

(sparky) #22

I don’t see it.

In conclusion if you can see my server and connect to it then your server has been there on the internet in game browser everytime you have been able to see it on the LAN tab as long as your Port Forwarding is accurate.

That is what I have suspected. All of my settings are acceptable but there seems to be a problem with my router. I believe my router is blocking my ip from showing in internet. The reason I say that the server config and command line has been acceptable is because the server runs perfect in my lan. Sure the settings could be better but my request has only been “Game Server Doesn’t Appear On Browser List”.

I understand if you want to quit, I quit last week. I only started messing with these server issues again because it seemed like you wanted to help. I really think this is a port/linksys problem. Thanks for atleast trying though.

(Deadwalking) #23

I went thru and made a tweak to the config so I could enjoy the gameplay a little better, it may have been down when you tried to find it.

I just had a buddy join off me thru Steam and it worked then I had him leave and find it in the Browser and he was able to find it no problem and connect

Just for ****s and giggles try again. And make sure you dont have any filters set except by name Multiple

(sparky) #24

I don’t see it.

I just had a buddy join off me thru Steam and it worked then I had him leave and find it in the Browser and he was able to find it no problem and connect
I find it difficult to believe that you had a server operational through LAN and WAN at the same time. One server can be either or, not both. He may have connected to your other server that you had running. It seems to me that LAN means private and local meaning that you don’t even need a password because only those within your network will be able to conenct. WAN is world accessible; but if you say so, ok.

Just for ****s and giggles try again. And make sure you dont have any filters set except by name Multiple

I don’t use filters and I checked with multiple and didn’t find it.

(Major_Day) #25

One server is both WAN and LAN. just depends whether you allow it through the routers firewall or not,and the correct settings in the commandline as well of course.
If you are connecting from the same internal network, then it will be a LAN server, when connecting from outside that network via the routers external ip address, then it is WAN. as well.
Don’t forget that when you rent a server from a GSP, that the actual machine the server is installed on is on the GSP’s internal network or LAN.
My Brink server is on a machine in the office next door, it is connectable via the local network as well as from outside that network. It is both wan and lan at the same time, just depends where you are connecting from.

(Deadwalking) #26

Well I got sick of waiting and wanted to go play some games. Sorry that I dont’ keep a server running while I game on my machine I rent a VPS so I can have dedi servers.

You dont have to believe it or not, it happened it was there had burawura try it out to make sure. You can find burawura on the forums here if you feel like you need to go ask him.

Just so it is clear when you create a Brink dedi server on your PC it will ALWAYS show up as LAN for Brink on your end, other games may very well show it in the internet area. While the outside world see it in the INTERNET search if your on a DMZ or if your ports are forwarded correctly.

I will type it out one more time. If you get it running and can see it in the LAN area then use the Steam Server Browser to find it not the in game browser. Easiest method to confirm it is sitting live to the internet. If Steam can pick it up for you it will pick it up for all those outside your network also.

I will also point out that when using a .bat file you do not run into a character limitation like you do when trying to Set Launch options in Steam or using a shortcut for the command line. And that when burawura connected he mentioned he was getting low FPS in game connected to my listen/dedi server, which may have something to do with the FPS cap that occurs on a listen server. You can read more about that from the Steam forums http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1884049

So I was able to get it working all steps to reproduce it are in this thread. Except the steps you would need to do to insure your ports are forwarded correctly, which if you right click your taskbar network connection. Then select Open Network and Sharing center. In the window that pops underneath the show entire map selection there is a link that says Local Area Connection. Click that then select Details. Inside the details window that pops up it will tell you what your PC’s network IP is. Write that down, then you can add that network IP to your DMZ or you can port forward the ports in your router to that network IP it is your choice. I only recommend not to leave your PC exposed as the DMZ if you get it working and go figure out the port forwarding.

:stroggbanana: :stroggtapir:

(Crytiqal) #27

Ima post this ne here cause I think you skipped over it Sparky.

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showpost.php?p=342551&postcount=19
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showpost.php?p=342553&postcount=20

(sparky) #28

Thank you Crytiqal, but as I said, I checked using two external sources. First, I tried connect directly by typing:
connect xxx.xx.xxx.xx:zzzzz.
Second, I used an online website browser which is not dependant on my own external IP address. The online browser lists all available servers.
I appreciate you trying to help but honestly, I gave up on trying to make a server, I am sure it has something to do with my setup (router, isp, os).

(Rhea) #29

Hi all,

I ran into a conflict with other steamapi servers.

Brink does not actually support changing the net_serverPort 27015 - nor does it support automatically seeking out the next free port to bind to. According to the api you should seek out the first free port from 27015, this is to seamlessly allow for multiple game servers to run on the same machine.

• If I change the net_serverPort to any non default value, I can not connect to it in any way - neither browser, nor direct.
  • If I leave the net_serverPortMaster set to the default 27016 and change the other to anything else 270* it shows up in the browser, but you can’t connect.
  • If I change net_serverPortMaster to anything else, it doesn’t even show up in the server browser.

Any ideas / solutions? I’d love to help keep all kinds of games alive, but these kinds of issues make it increasingly more and more difficult.

(Note that all the infrastructure is correctly configured, I’m a senior game dev and RHCE.)