Future Audio Updates: V-Bear

(Chris Mullins) #1

Hello everyone,

In future updates we’ll be introducing a new environmental audio system which will add some flavour to our guns, dialogue and other features’ audio. We called it V-Bear. To demonstrate this, here is a short clip showing what the system will sound like, along with a description below of what it does.

What does V-Bear do?

V-Bear manages the reverb that is applied to each sound in a specific area of a given map. It provides a more immersive experience by allowing sound to reflect the current environment’s look and offers smooth transitions between different areas.

As the system works at runtime for local as well as remote players, it makes it easier to identify the origin of a gunshot in the proximities of the listener. This is due to the sound carrying the source‘s environmental character.

V-Bear represents an improvement over how all ambient audio was managed as far as performance goes, requiring less and smarter checks for non-gameplay relevant audio management.

Lastly, V-Bear is also responsible for controlling Environment Driven Content playback.

Environment Driven Content

By approaching guns’ audio design in a modular way, we’re able to control individual, gun specific characteristics through V-Bear the same way we control reverb. This allows us to overcome the limitations that come with using reverb, granting us more freedom over designing the individual guns’ core character and preserving it in the different environments.

And that is V-Bear. Keep an eye open for more updates to come!

(DirtyHarrier) #2

Sweeeeeeeeet

(Drac0rion) #3

Something to look forward to

(nokiII) #4

Can you implement something useful instead? Like settings for the VOIP or positional audio?

(Dagasawr) #5

why didnt you show the sound demo from the enemys perspective ? is it not ready because it seems important.

EDIT: its just been answered

(burningPlace) #6

This is really interesting thank you for the post.

(Amerika) #7

This reminds me of how the audio sounded in the alpha builds of the game. I mean, in the video that floats around from time to time.

(Jesus) #8

This looks totally useful; I mean i felt such a need for a new audio in this game. Its time one of the priorities gets worked on. Its not like if there was anything else needing changes

(Chris Mullins) #9

There are lots of different devs that work on specific things with the game. There’s UI, programmers, designers and art to name a few. All of these areas often get worked on at the same time, and very rarely are these skills transferable to other features.

This is just what the audio designers are currently working on. There’re lot’s of other things going on as well, of which we will be giving more info as time goes on.

(RazielWarmonic) #10

Awesome post shoe, thanks for sharing with us! :smiley: :heart:

(Occult) #11

ohh lovely echo! echo! echo! echo!

(SirOrionDrake) #12

Oh, nice!
Big Ears finaly getting some love from the Devs!
My Kira’s going to love that.
And for the people who critisises, don’t ever forget that, tho still fully playable, the game is at BETA.
Any sort of improvment is wellcome! ^^
(such as ways to see how may of each badge you’ve collected so far, for instance…) hehe

Wow…this looks (and hears) amazing!
What a pleasure for our lovely ears.

I’m definitely looking forward to it! <3

(Amerika) #14

There are lots of different devs that work on specific things with the game. There’s UI, programmers, designers and art to name a few. All of these areas get worked on at the same time, and very rarely are these skills transferable to other features.

This is just what the audio designers are currently working on. There’re lot’s of other things going on as well, of which we will be giving more info as time goes on.[/quote]

Don’t worry shoe. Jesus loves even if he can be salty from time to time.

(B_Montiel) #15

This totally contradicts the 14th march stream where production tester Rostrum asked the community to help him design a new merc.

Nevertheless, any improvement should always be welcome. I’m looking forward to this. I just hope this won’t be too much of a reverb level on a 7vs7 server. The potential volume of information contained by sound in this game is already important though messy on a crowded server. And the small clips makes me fear that it may lead to a continuous potatoe mash flow of reverb coming into our hearing.

(Chris Mullins) #16

This was something we wanted to do on stream to have some fun with the community. If we were to do something like this officially there would be a lot of posts about it, not just an off-the-cuff stream discussion :slight_smile:

As for the ‘potatoe mash flow of reverb’ potential, this is something that is being taken into account. As Galavant said the third person effect of the new system is still being worked on and this is a big consideration.

(solace_) #17

now Im wishing I had kickstarted the OssicX headphones, would have been great with this.

(Mc1412013) #18

I just hope it works well with my 5.1 system. I asked during the stream and they said yes but didn’t go into detail.

So I just hope as I’m leaving a tunnel It’s louder on the back speakers or if the sound is behind me I only hear it more in speakers behind me. I know the mercs dialog during execution works great in 5.1 if I spin around I can hear variances lin loudness from each soeaker

(Sinee) #19

I like it. Immersion is good.

(Randomdeath) #20

Since i have shitty stereo headphones i wont have to worry about whether or not it will work with surround headphones/speaker systems. Cant wait :slight_smile: