Estate reborn

(Violator) #21

[QUOTE=timestart;373201]Lots of z-fighting with the destroyed bridge and the repaired one (and the construction model).

[/QUOTE]
Yes, the model needs moving inside.

Added to list :slight_smile: This is the pub y? Iā€™ve got better at blender so I should be able to edit the terrain to match (like I did the tower in the park).

Oops, I realised about the MCP ones but the building is odd, that must have been missing all alongā€¦?

I remember posting about this before and no-one had any ideas how to fix it :frowning: It must be possible though (e.g. sewer).

Unneeded portals as Chris mentioned.

I will try and stop the anansi tricks etc by making bridge wider.

[QUOTE=timestart;373201]
Move hack building away from Strogg spawn and towards the river a bit to make it easier for GDF. MCP phase seems like an improvement but needs more testing I think before giving feedback.[/QUOTE]
I thought about this but I think moving the strogg spawn further away might be better. Could move the building a bit closer as it is a bit of a trek still without vehicles.

(Violator) #22

Best way to be for teh Nirvana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=brutt01d;373248]
MCP stage was better but needs more testing. Hack is still too hard i think. Did we actually manage to get to transmit objective? i guess it was full hold on hack.[/QUOTE]
Hack was still to hard (see comments above).

[QUOTE=brutt01d;373248]
I still belive moving hack buildings closer to MCP deploy on the initial side of the river could make it more dynamic and easy. And transmit could be where hack is now. But thatā€™s imho.[/QUOTE]
That would be cool but it would be far too much work :frowning:

(timestart) #23

Yeah thatā€™s it. Always annoying fitting terrain to map :).

Oops, I realised about the MCP ones but the building is odd, that must have been missing all alongā€¦?

Yeah, shield smash usually happens before I get to that side of the map though so I always forget to mention it.

I remember posting about this before and no-one had any ideas how to fix it :frowning: It must be possible though (e.g. sewer).

You need networkSync 1 key on trigger_hurts. Just tested this with modified .entities and it works now.

(.Chris.) #24

If you saved them as .dds the file size would be much smaller, most my Canal textures are .dds (feel free to pinch some)

There is a nvidia plug in to make .dds for photoshop.

Although I canā€™t remember the save options for the different types of texture images, alpha textures required saving differently from others.

Actually yeah, removed cyclops and mirror the generator and building so its on the other corner should be enough.

Here you can see on bigger scale what happens, I dragged the patch from the left side one major grid unit and its now 1.5 minor units out of place.

Regarding the repeating texture error, I had this a lot on Canal, if you cut up your pavements into sections then mirror the texture horizontally from the adjacent texture it no longer regards it as the same thus you wont get any errors or that ā€˜optimsingā€™ stretch going. No need for a gap. alternatively put alternate sections into different LOD group levels, so make 1 LOD group with 2 levels that fade out same distance and put alternating sections into each group, they will be treated differently by the compiler.

Have a test and see which is better for you, not sure what impact the latter would have on batches, I only did that approach on Actifail outside walls.

(Violator) #25

@timestart - yay networksync 1 works :penguin: Iā€™ve lost the map file for the smashed building corner :confused: it has a duff texture in it which isnā€™t used in the main building, should be pretty easy to recreate though.

@chris - thats v useful thanks mate :slight_smile: I can create dds in the GIMP so version c2 could be up for a facelift as some of the textures are very lo-res, I have a problem with atlas though in win7 as it doesnā€™t redraw properly so creating texturesheets is a PITA :frowning:
The pavements are actually references which is a bit cheap and nasty, I like the alternating LOD group idea though. In my next project (which is a kind of sequel) Iā€™ve made the pavements into a detail group which seems to keep the performance (just one batch) and Iā€™m not getting the evil stretch, at the expense of having a kerbstone texture like I used in estate. Also the edges of the kerb are cut into the terrain and it all lines up.

Moved hack to here:

strogg walking distance now same as GDF from bridge spawn. GDF now have vehicle advantage (badger, trojan, 2 huskies + failboat vs Hog & 2 icarusā€™)

(Donnovan) #26

Nice shots.

What resolution is the megatexture in c1, Violator?

(Violator) #27

Its 16384Ā². It looks a lot better in 32768 but its massiveā€¦ It takes around an hour to upload a new version as it is :frowning:

(Violator) #28

Changes for c2 (being uploaded as I holler):

Dug up buried trees in park.
Converted tgaā€™s to dds + doubled res of some textures esp. stone buildings = 14MB smaller pk4.
Widened destroyed bridge to stop it getting stuck.
Fixed bug where if on bridge repair obj the MCP wouldnā€™t redeploy.
Fixed dodgy pavements.
Fixed some bad terrain bits.
Moved hack objective (see earlier screenshot).
Removed cyclops from hack.
Added some sounds for plans + game end.

(taw_m0nsta) #29

Looks like a great list of improvements to me! Keep up the good work Vio!

(Donnovan) #30

There is a download link for C2?

(Donnovan) #31

Violator,

How you did the DDS files? I tryed ATI The Compressonator 1.50 but got black textures ingame.

(Violator) #32

I used the GIMP to do it - DXT 1 + generate mipmaps (only works for non-alpha texture though). Apparently you can use DXT-5 compression for texā€™s that need alpha but not tried yet.

(Violator) #33

D/L: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20730135/zz_vioestate_c2.rar

Things from todayā€™s test -

MCP deploy problems seem to be sorted.
I forgot to put the new (wider) broken bridge model into the pk4.
Thereā€™s a tree without collision in the GDF base.
Some half sunken fences at the hack spawn.
Stuff (grass) needs redoing for the new terrain.
Hack obj was better though we only had 2v2 going today - timestart wins Parking of the Year award 2060:

(Ashog) #34

And me???!! :slight_smile:

ps. strange keyboard layout vio, get a prize too :wink:

(Violator) #35

Not a bad effort :smiley:

Scrupus re: trigger_mcp - Iā€™ve looked through the scripts and trigger_mcp only seems to be used to trigger sounds to play e.g. ā€˜the mcp has left the tunnelā€™ (including arcis)? Not sure how to make it do stuff script-side :frowning:

(Scrupus) #36

[QUOTE=Violator;376848]
Scrupus re: trigger_mcp - Iā€™ve looked through the scripts and trigger_mcp only seems to be used to trigger sounds to play e.g. ā€˜the mcp has left the tunnelā€™ (including arcis)? Not sure how to make it do stuff script-side :([/QUOTE]

Itā€™s not documented anywhere I think, but look at the second objective in arcis a2 - it uses it to complete the second primary objective. There is a trigger_mcp right after the gas station, and when the MCP touch it, it will trigger the ā€œOnObjectiveCompletedā€ event in the map script, passing the objective index number and the activator, so you can call your own script code from there. The only thing you have to do, is to add a ā€œobjective_indexā€ key/valueto the trigger_mcp entity :slight_smile:

Look at scripts/misc/mcp_trigger in the SDK, where you can see how it calls the CompleteObjective code, if objective_index is set.

(Violator) #37

Cool thanks Scrupus, that works a treat + I can show the completion message for the objective now with who did it :slight_smile:

(Scrupus) #38

cool :slight_smile:

I wonder if they can be used for secondaries as well, havenā€™t tested that yet.

(Violator) #39

Estate c3 - probably as final as itā€™ll get :wink:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20768439/zz_vioestate_c3.pk4

(taw_m0nsta) #40

We played C2 yesterday and a few of us noticed some weird issues with the map. I remember a big stone plate where you could walk on to get on the roof (close to last objective) but a few times when I walking against it from the side it turned out to be quicksand and was in the middle of that plate. There was something else also, can not remember it.

I really like the new hills around the MCP deploy spot. It became harder to get an overview of the area, but once Strogg have them on target they are easy to kill.