Doors complexity limitations

(Donnovan) #1

Hi,

I am trying to make a redome that can open. It’s composed by 8 doors.

If i use more than 2 brushs in any of the door, it produces weird results, like unsolid door and gigantic clipping behind the area the doors move to.

Anyone know about door complexity limitations?

(Donnovan) #2

Here the doors opened:

Behind then there is gigantic clipping like invisible giant wall. The glass is unsolid and you walk 3 meters above it.

The shag house in the right is mostly inacessible because of the insisible wall clip whatever.

(.Chris.) #3

The clipping for doors uses the bounding box for the geometry, it’s normal behavior.

(Violator) #4

Use slave doors (see the valley GDF gate for an example)

(Donnovan) #5

Thanks!

Violator,
Nice! Slave doors can be controled by script? Its not good to have it open each time a GDF touch it!

Chris,

Thing is that the clipping is 1000 times bigger than its really necessary. Player hit invisible wall already inside the hangar, that is far far away. If the door have only two brushs, this do not happens.

So if i want a door with 10 brushs i need to split it in 5 door with 2 brushs activated on the same time to simulate the 10 brush door (still not tryed that).

(Violator) #6

Yes you can control it in script (I do this at the end of viomine when the laser doors open). There’s a ‘do not touch’ flag to stop players touching the door open. I’ve also had an experiment in using doors as moving platforms and using a timer thread to repeatedly open and close them (ie move the platform left and right) which seems to work so far. To do this I made the opening time 2 seconds (so 2 seconds to close) and set the timer in script to repeatedly open the door every 4 seconds.

(Donnovan) #7

Violator, thanks.

The actual door is generating a very big inacessible area behind it. Firtly i thought it was save space for the door to open, but two things made me forgive that:

1 - The inacessible area is far more big than the area ocupied by the open door.
2 - Other smaller doors experiments showed the save area for open do not exist.

You believe the slave doors will not generate those inacessible areas? At now they are making half buildings inacessible due to size.

(.Chris.) #8

Slave doors just do whatever the ‘master’ door in the group is doing which would be the regular door entity.

All doors use the same clipping rules, using slave doors will not solve your problem but will reduce the amount of instances you need to tell a door to open.

say I have a door that from the top looks like this:

__
 /  \
/____\

The engine will clip it like this

____
|    |
|____|

(Donnovan) #9

I see Chris, thanks a lot, but seens the cube arests must be, necessarily, oriented along axix x, y and z. Because i can imagine another cube that is very very smaller and also have the door inside it, althoufgh, this cube is not parallel to XY, XY and YZ.

Edit: Added “i can imagine”.

(Donnovan) #10

When i leave two brushs on the door the problem do not happens. With two brushs it’s cliped acordling to the door real clip (clip of the two brushs). So i can walk exactly above it, not “floating” above it.

Side Vision

Real Door:

\
    \                              above terrain
 -------\-----------------------------------------------
            \                      bellow terrain
                \

Clip with more than 2 brushs:
|            \    |                    bellow terrain
|________________\|

Clip with two brushs:

\
    \                              above terrain
 -------\-----------------------------------------------
            \                      bellow terrain
                \

8 conceptual doors.
each conceptual door with 10 brushs.
we have 8 x 10 = 80 brushs
each engina door can have 2 brushs
i will need 80 / 2 = 40 engine doors

So i will make a slave door entity with 40 engine doors!!! One entity with 40 2 brush doors… and with proper clip.

STRANGE IS THAT I MADE A 3 BRUSH DOOR FOR TEST PURPOSE THAT WAS CLIPED ACORDLING WITH ITS REAL CLIP. SO I"M NOT SURE WHEN ENGINE GOES FOR X,Y,Z PARALEL CUBE CLIP OR REAL OBJECT CLIP.

Top vision of this test door:

X    \            |   --->
           \___________| 

Its a door that move to the right. I can access x and y with player.

(scud24) #11

why not use map objects instead?

(Donnovan) #12

I tryed. I got problems with two stage glasses (see a glass thought other glass) and the gigantic clip was there.

(.Chris.) #13

Can you make a .world with just the brushes for the doors and upload it?

I got an idea.

(Violator) #14

I’ve made a test map with 4 doors, 1 master + 3 slaves all at a 45’ slope forming a square (they open upwards at 45’) which works fine and clips ok, you can run up the door as a slope while its opening etc. i.e.

_
   //
  //
 // 
//

From top -

______
    |      |
 ___|______|___
|   |      |   |
|   |      |   |
|   |      |   |
|___|______|___|
    |      |
    |______|

EDIT: attached pk4 (remove the ‘.zip’ from end - wouldn’t let me upload just as pk4…). The ‘master’ door does have an origin blob in it but I’m sure that can be removed.

(Donnovan) #15

Thanks Violator and Chris.

I will try again at friday, i re-did the brush work on some of the doors and the gigantic clip, on then, vanished.

Not sure if the same will happnes on all door. I will try to add my doors brushs on your entities, Violator.

I believe things will be fixed soon.

Chris, i believe normal behavior is the door itself be the clip. Only exeption on my tests was those redomes.

(Donnovan) #16

I did it.

With 2 brush in each door i needed 36 doors!!!

HAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHA!

open() comands for each door are one bellow one, but this is not enough to make then open at the exact same time. You can see some 1 pixel space betewem the subDoors. But this is a very small bad thing compared to the biga super clip problem.

The result was awesomius!!!

Now, to the sounds!! Biga metal structure moving fear sounds!

EDIT: Added more “HAHAHAHA” there is just a few.