Dirty Bomb in game toxicity survey.


(Eox) #1

Hello there !

I took the liberty to make an in game survey with the goal of knowing a bit more about the current status of toxicity in DB. I’m not talking about the forums, reddit, or even the discord server. It exclusively concerns in game behaviour.

The survey just has three questions and should take you very little time. You can access it through this link : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOnb6OE0WONEGFw3-ifc36fr8-qaoIE6w4QopTc_48M2DXXg/viewform?usp=sf_link

I of coure plan to share that survey with the staff in the future if I am allowed to. :slight_smile:

Thank you by advance ! :slight_smile:


(K1X455) #2

I was given the impression that the toxicity levels are high inversely proportional to the level and cooperation of players in ranked matches. Usually, toxicity are generally directed to the least performing players (lower 3 scoring) and those who are obviously throwing matches.

I have never encountered a cheater who is on my side of the team. It’s always on the other side where the opposition never was toxic to the cheater (the “carry phenomenon”).

Perhaps if SD had made better tutorials and raised the minimum level to play in a higher stake matches, it’s possible that the instructions on how to provide team support will be lessened.


(D'@athi) #3

The real question is, what do you count towards “toxicity”?

  • Kicking people who really have no clue what to do?
    Auras not reviving, Skyhammers not giving ammo… Ignoring the tutorial or trolling on purpose… I’d say deserved.

  • The obligatory “gg ez” from some carried guy in the obviously stacked winning-team?
    I’d say yes, but just to make a point, still most of them propably just don’t know any better.

  • Wishing your family cancer and death sometime soon?
    Whereas slow death would be more logical… That kinda speaks for itself.

(Can’t say anything about ranked. Just played enough to get the trinket, then said goodbye to the beloved stockholm-servers, and, reading the stuff here, was lucky not meeting people tking and/or hindering your team on purpose.)

That’s the real problem, where to start, where to end. Having played other games this stuff kinda became “normal”, still probably affecting me in the way I usually see/react to those random people.
But I guess it reached a bad point, when more popular devs/games start to implant automatic stuff and heavily research the reports they get.

@K1X455 I, for myself, barely spec my own team’s players. Either you look around while not beeing gibbed, or you already have respawned until you got the right one, at least most of the time. And as you not getting killed by them in funny ways,… ( at least not in non-ranked)


(n-x) #4

Hey @Eox as you seem determined to get your head wrapped around this toxicity topic, I ill just leave my 2 cents.

I dont think that community size is the reason for the toxicity, it is player retention. If you play games with a high skill level and a small community, you hardly find any toxicity (at least in my experience) If you have way more experienced players in your community each individual veteran has to deal with fewer new players. Thus he has more patience.

In DB it is the other way around. The majority of players on the servers are beginners and a DB veteran has to deal with them way more frequently. Unfortunately, those players dont stay to become veterans to shift the balance to a more skilled community. They drop from the game and new beginners join the game doing the same mistakes. It is not uncommon to play several games in a row, where you have to drag 2-3 absolute useless players with you. Some evenings my friends and I stop playing. Not because we had enough fun for this evening, but because we are just burned out by absolute useless team mates.

Also, I hardly see anybody bully a level 1-3 player and if someone is bullying them, mostly people stand up for the beginner. But it is just absolute infuriating to have the infamous Skyhammers/auras who dont use their abilities with level 15. So I kind of feel it is just that those kind of players get kicked/screamed at, because they basically ruin the fun for everybody in their team, just because they are not willing to learn/commit to the game in the slightest. And quiet frankly, the sooner those people leave the game the better. They will most likely not stay in the game and their presence will just drive off other players who are fed up with dealing with them.

All in all: yes, I think the toxicity has become worse, because people are just fed up to deal with the same shit over and over again. But I also have the feeling that the amount of players with some edgy taboo name (contains the n word/hitler/female genitalia) has increased who basically join the server just to talk smack and insult everybody else.


(nokiII) #5

The internet (and the DB community as a subsection of it) didn’t get any more toxic over time, people just choose to be offended more often.


(AlbinMatt) #6

@nokiII said:
The internet (and the DB community as a subsection of it) didn’t get any more toxic over time, people just choose to be offended more often.

This offends me as a half Asian heter…

Oh who am I kidding, that joke got old the moment it was born.


(Eox) #7

@Deathi said:
The real question is, what do you count towards “toxicity”?

  • Kicking people who really have no clue what to do?
    Auras not reviving, Skyhammers not giving ammo… Ignoring the tutorial or trolling on purpose… I’d say deserved.

  • The obligatory “gg ez” from some carried guy in the obviously stacked winning-team?
    I’d say yes, but just to make a point, still most of them propably just don’t know any better.

  • Wishing your family cancer and death sometime soon?
    Whereas slow death would be more logical… That kinda speaks for itself.

(Can’t say anything about ranked. Just played enough to get the trinket, then said goodbye to the beloved stockholm-servers, and, reading the stuff here, was lucky not meeting people tking and/or hindering your team on purpose.)

That’s the real problem, where to start, where to end. Having played other games this stuff kinda became “normal”, still probably affecting me in the way I usually see/react to those random people.
But I guess it reached a bad point, when more popular devs/games start to implant automatic stuff and heavily research the reports they get.

@K1X455 I, for myself, barely spec my own team’s players. Either you look around while not beeing gibbed, or you already have respawned until you got the right one, at least most of the time. And as you not getting killed by them in funny ways,… ( at least not in non-ranked)

It’s your own definition that matters the most when you fill up this survey. The goal of this survey is somewhat to see how the community percieves itself. I just thought that seeing how the community overall consider itself would be something interesting.


([ *O.C.B.* ] Wildcard) #8

@Eox said:

@Deathi said:
The real question is, what do you count towards “toxicity”?

  • Kicking people who really have no clue what to do?
    Auras not reviving, Skyhammers not giving ammo… Ignoring the tutorial or trolling on purpose… I’d say deserved.

  • The obligatory “gg ez” from some carried guy in the obviously stacked winning-team?
    I’d say yes, but just to make a point, still most of them propably just don’t know any better.

  • Wishing your family cancer and death sometime soon?
    Whereas slow death would be more logical… That kinda speaks for itself.

(Can’t say anything about ranked. Just played enough to get the trinket, then said goodbye to the beloved stockholm-servers, and, reading the stuff here, was lucky not meeting people tking and/or hindering your team on purpose.)

That’s the real problem, where to start, where to end. Having played other games this stuff kinda became “normal”, still probably affecting me in the way I usually see/react to those random people.
But I guess it reached a bad point, when more popular devs/games start to implant automatic stuff and heavily research the reports they get.

@K1X455 I, for myself, barely spec my own team’s players. Either you look around while not beeing gibbed, or you already have respawned until you got the right one, at least most of the time. And as you not getting killed by them in funny ways,… ( at least not in non-ranked)

It’s your own definition that matters the most when you fill up this survey. The goal of this survey is somewhat to see how the community percieves itself. I just thought that seeing how the community overall consider itself would be something interesting.

And there is nothing wrong with that. In honesty I doubt anyone is faulting you there @Eox , most of us likely prefer someone be doing something in an attempt to understand than nothing at all. Though to be honest I have to agree with a previous post that there is indeed a loss of patience that is further strained over time by having to correct the same mistakes made by new players ad infinitum. This in turn goes back to what I mentioned on the server balance post that the game needs to properly teach several core concepts that are currently left to the player to figure out alone.

Too many new players clearly have shown their inability to put two-and-two together on their own in relation to these matters. We have three straight years of this to back up such a statement. In the end this game needs a massive overhaul on its tutorial and implementation of an offline mode or other system to supplement it; while at the same time vets need to be able to not feel so frustrated with newcomers that they can be willing to help them further improve. This will not fix itself overnight, even if the overhaul occurs, but it can’t occur unless something is done.


(emjot) #9

My opinion: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dirtybomb/comments/7tnto9/toxicity_within_db/dteivz2/


(STARRYSOCK) #10

Haven’t read the other comments so sorry if this has been said, but from my experience toxicity varies massively between ranked and casual, so it’s hard to give a general assessment. From my experience, almost all ranked matches I’ve played end in a lot of salt one way or another. But casual is mostly friendly, with the occasional half joking snark.


(SM83 Power Operative ) #11

I voted 1/10. It’s senseless to complain about bad encounters in the game. You have the freedom to mute, report, leave, or kick if ever necessary. There’s no toxicity as a result of this game or community; the world and people themselves are toxic. You’ll run into bad people everywhere and the anonymity of the Internet acts as a catalyst for moronic behavior. Just thicken your skin if you are easily bothered. Anyway, I don’t think this game is toxic at all when compared to titles like DOTA, LoL, CoD, CS, and so on.


(Meerkats) #12

@-OCB-Wildcard said:
Too many new players clearly have shown their inability to put two-and-two together on their own in relation to these matters. We have three straight years of this to back up such a statement. In the end this game needs a massive overhaul on its tutorial and implementation of an offline mode or other system to supplement it; while at the same time vets need to be able to not feel so frustrated with newcomers that they can be willing to help them further improve. This will not fix itself overnight, even if the overhaul occurs, but it can’t occur unless something is done.
@Eox, a lot of developers have picked up on the fact simply having a few tutorials is inadequate. Honestly, not something you need Sherlock to figure out for you. So now, a lot of devs provide ingame resources like glossaries to help players figure out mechanics. But see, who the fuck has time to read? Nobody, that’s who, so those glossaries are now full of short videos visually illustrating the mechanics. Overwatch goes the next step and provides ingame tooltips with recommendations.

Additionally, lack of global chat probably doesn’t help either. I’m fairly certain it’s well established most players never visit any outside resource, especially new players just trying out a game. Therefore, those resources need to be made available in game. If a player has a question during a match, that question, understandably, might get ignored. They might ask again while in a pregame lobby, but given how lobbies tend to vacate, that question might still go unanswered. CMM and ranked are even worse as there isn’t a lobby at all. If a player could just pop a question in chat without having to join a match or exit the game, well, that makes life easier doesn’t it.

Ingame resources. Not difficult.

In a game I used to play, there was a Helper system. New players had access to a special, newbie global chat channel, invisible to all non-new players, where they could request assistance, from gameplay questions to corpse retrievals. This provided new players a place to ask their questions free of embarrassment while not congesting normal channels. Who were helpers? Helpers were volunteers. Nobody was ever required to be a helper and helpers weren’t rewarded for their efforts either; all they received was a special [HELPER] title, yet there were always helpers on in a game that typically only had 450 concurrent players, less than Dirty Bomb. Sure, the help provided was voluntary, so if a helper had a more pressing matter, they were free to ignore requests, but all senior helpers were very proud of their status and would happily waste like a minute and a thousand gold max buffing some newbie.

In fact, since that game, I’ve always found it strange no other game I’ve ever played has had a similar system. I’m a huge proponent of it as that human touch easily surpasses a pile of text describing how to press “e,”, and myself became a helper after hitting lvl.100 ( max level in that game was somewhere around 14,000 iirc ). If you give people the opportunity to contribute, you might be surprised by the results.

Anyway, might be something to consider. Perhaps a newbie server where new players could join and play with volunteer helpers ( min. lvl.60 or so ) who would teach them the ropes. Earlier, when I said helpers weren’t rewarded? Not entirely true. Dedicated helpers were very proud of their [HELPER] titles, so the Dirty Bomb equivalent might be a different coloured name and maybe a special accessory / trinket / skin.


(TheManBehindTheMask) #13

If you police the game too much for “toxicity” you get a Overwatch like casual community and if you want to get rid off toxic player just let us report them. Players that I want to report I want to report are trolls and annoying people that spam chat. Not people that put a joke in a chat when they are waiting for a respawn.


(Tesralii) #14

Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I’m a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was “within their rights to boot me.” I wasn’t using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn’t get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match “witch-hunt” or “spite-boot” people. I’ve seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the “golden days” of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

Good luck, but you ain’t getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. Screw that! haha
Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it’s been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.


(Eox) #15

@Tesralii said:
Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I’m a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was “within their rights to boot me.” I wasn’t using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn’t get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match “witch-hunt” or “spite-boot” people. I’ve seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the “golden days” of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

Good luck, but you ain’t getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it’s been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren’t that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc.

Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active.

If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP


(Darkwolf3802) #16

@Eox said:

@Tesralii said:
Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I’m a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was “within their rights to boot me.” I wasn’t using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn’t get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match “witch-hunt” or “spite-boot” people. I’ve seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the “golden days” of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

Good luck, but you ain’t getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it’s been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren’t that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc.

Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active.

If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP

I just played a ranked match today (ikr) and I had 2 trolls on my team. All they did was tk the team and the other team completed the mission within 3min time. I shouldnt be penalized in my rank for them basically throwing the game. We couldnt forfeit cause they said no to that and end result we got spawn killed by them and the enemy for 3min. This is going to drive players away from the game.


(Eox) #17

@Darkwolf3802 said:

@Eox said:

@Tesralii said:
Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I’m a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was “within their rights to boot me.” I wasn’t using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn’t get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match “witch-hunt” or “spite-boot” people. I’ve seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the “golden days” of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

Good luck, but you ain’t getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it’s been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren’t that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc.

Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active.

If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP

I just played a ranked match today (ikr) and I had 2 trolls on my team. All they did was tk the team and the other team completed the mission within 3min time. I shouldnt be penalized in my rank for them basically throwing the game. We couldnt forfeit cause they said no to that and end result we got spawn killed by them and the enemy for 3min. This is going to drive players away from the game.

Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us


(Darkwolf3802) #18

@Eox said:

@Darkwolf3802 said:

@Eox said:

@Tesralii said:
Great game, but today I got booted from a match and ended up uninstalling to make space for another game. I got triggered, pretty simply, but you should hear me out. I’m a high level player and I was doing poorly in a match, so maybe they thought it was “within their rights to boot me.” I wasn’t using chat. No one said anything to me. Just 5 votes and then poof I didn’t get to participate in the end of a 30min match.

I will not be playing this game again for a while at least, even though I just picked it up again. I love the old style ET play. It is absolutely toxic to let people in a match “witch-hunt” or “spite-boot” people. I’ve seen a lot of it over my 1500 hours playing. (Steam account is Tesrali, if you wanted to see.) Most of my time playing was back in the “golden days” of 2015 and spots where I reinstalled to BS last year and this year.

Good luck, but you ain’t getting my dollars if I can get vote booted by a witch hunt. @$!# that! haha
Cheers guys. Hope you resolve this, it’s been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long with this broken feature.

Sorry you had to deal with something like that. Those kind of issues aren’t that common in DB thankfully. You probably just got unlucky and ended up playing with a toxic group. You should probably give it another go, if you wish to ofc.

Not playing alone also helps a ton. Maybe you should attempt to meet some players outside of the game so you can make some friends to mess with. The DB forums are a good place for that, but you can also try the official Discord which is very active.

If you want a link to join the official DB Discord, try this one : https://discord.gg/zfPkWGP

I just played a ranked match today (ikr) and I had 2 trolls on my team. All they did was tk the team and the other team completed the mission within 3min time. I shouldnt be penalized in my rank for them basically throwing the game. We couldnt forfeit cause they said no to that and end result we got spawn killed by them and the enemy for 3min. This is going to drive players away from the game.

Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us

Tbh I dont remember their names and thats not going to restore my ranked rank. I lost rank cause of them.


(K1X455) #19

@Eox said:

Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us

I’ve been reporting TKers and match throwers, and I still see them playing.

What does this mean?

NOTHING IS BEING DONE or I MY REPORTS ARE BEING COMPLETELY IGNORED.

Prove it otherwise. And don’t make claims that it’s being taken seriously.


(Eox) #20

@K1X455 said:

@Eox said:

Please report those players to the support. You can access the support by following this link : https://support.dirtybomb.com/hc/en-us

I’ve been reporting TKers and match throwers, and I still see them playing.

What does this mean?

NOTHING IS BEING DONE or I MY REPORTS ARE BEING COMPLETELY IGNORED.

Prove it otherwise. And don’t make claims that it’s being taken seriously.

I can’t make any claims. All I am sure about is that the process may take some time. I am as helpless as you. Reporting is all I can do. It’s also very hard to get rid of throwers and cheaters when they just have to create a new steam account to be a nuisance again.

However I did got confirmation that an ingame report system overhaul is being worked on. So at the very least there’s that.