Dear Splash Damage...

(zenstar) #21

ET:QW was awesome (my opinion ofc). This is a really massive post for something that basically boils down to “Brink is not the kind of shooter I like”.
Pretty much all the points are subjective and only hold true if you’re of the same opinion.

I was thinking of going into more detail on this but tbh it looks like this is more of an “expression” thread than a “discussion” thread. Sorry you don’t like the game OP. You’ve made your point (multiple times in multiple threads now). Some of us still enjoy it.

I also like the way the OP calls anyone who disagrees with him a troll.
Ad Hominem attacks. Google is your friend.

(suho) #22

I don’t think Brink is more complicated than ET:QW. I find Brink pretty simple.

(Kurushi) #23

Dear Splash Damage, can we please have a troll sub forum? Better still, one for OP

(zenstar) #24

I agree with this. Maps are easy to learn and the controlls are streamlined. Even the classes are easier to learn since you don’t have wildly different weapon loadouts based on what class you’re playing.

I agree, no vehicles, less deployables, smaller maps, less class tactics (swap in limbo menu between spawns).

But BRINK has its own charms. I have no issues finding games, or playing it at all with my ATI 5870. Oh well, some people really know how to add DRAMA to their WHINE! :smiley:

(Seiniyta) #26

ETQW definitly had the more epic feel to it with the combat, I’m still hoping on at least one map in the future which has some vehicles in it in Brink, that would be awesome :stuck_out_tongue:

(Smoochy) #27

battlefield still kicks arse in the epic feeling. nothing feels like 64 players in a smallish area fighting it out. btw - bc2 isnt a proper battlefield game, we havent had one since bf2142

(V1cK_dB) #28

Care to address any of his actual points? You know about going away from the games that were made years ago that are still played today? W:ET? Why change up the gamestyle so much? You guys hyped up Brink talking about W:ET and we got something that shoots and moves NOTHING like it? I’m particularly talking about the shooting spread/damage and movement so in case you do respond you respond to the things that matter.

For example in W:ET there was low spread and much faster movement. Since the spread was tighter I can control my aiming much more precise. I remember getting headshots consistently and I could tell because hats would go flying! Tell me…why does a 10 year old game have more important detail and control than a supposed next gen game like Brink?

(Nexolate) #29

Hopefully that’ll change with Battlefield 3. Hopefully.

Regards,
Nexo

(nick1021) #30

[QUOTE=NIDCLXVI;348076]I agree, no vehicles, less deployables, smaller maps, less class tactics (swap in limbo menu between spawns).

But BRINK has its own charms. I have no issues finding games, or playing it at all with my ATI 5870. Oh well, some people really know how to add DRAMA to their WHINE! :D[/QUOTE]
Yes, because spending 50 dollars on a game just so it glitches and can’t find any players isn’t a big deal.

(Kalbuth) #31

I wouldn’t call mass spam “epic”, tbh. If you like epicness by numbers, I hope you didn’t miss Planetside’s early days of 15vs150vs150
It’s a bit hard to properly organize a 32vs32 on small area, it gets random and spammy really, really quick

(BomBaKlaK) #32

Wolf: ET and ETQW were great games ! just ETQW didn’t find is public ! but is one of the best shooters for me !
in brink they just want some new mechanic but some just doesn’t work at all make the game died quick !
i’m not ok with all your big post mister ! SD WAS a great FPS makers ! but now they just drop into commercial way …

(Je T´aime) #33

[QUOTE=BomBaKlaK;348180]Wolf: ET and ETQW were great games ! just ETQW didn’t find is public ! but is one of the best shooters for me !
in brink they just want some new mechanic but some just doesn’t work at all make the game died quick !
i’m not ok with all your big post mister ! SD WAS a great FPS makers ! but now they just drop into commercial way …[/QUOTE]

Tbh I don´t agree with brink going in the direction of the comercial way, if was intended for the masses it would have k/d maybe litle recoil a lot more ranks like other fps and it would have some more popular gamemodes.

(Smoochy) #34

[QUOTE=Nexolate;348171]Hopefully that’ll change with Battlefield 3. Hopefully.

Regards,
Nexo[/QUOTE]

yup, just not a proper one for the consoles. they still havent had a proper BF game. to me, BF is about 64 players and big maps with vehicles.

(Jimmy James) #35

You are confusing Return to Castle Wolfenstein with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. W:ET was initially meant to be an expansion/sequel to RtCW but SD didn’t do a single player storyline, instead focusing on the multiplayer aspect, so they ended up releasing it for free.

-JJ

(DrpPlates) #36

agree, and, ETQW’s did have a large following… the issue with QW’s was performance… LAG! pushed many gamers away… and no fix resolved it… i know many, who gave up after the 1.4 patch…

almost did as well… but i like the game and still play it… if i can find a server were am pinging 50-70 am in heaven… sadly thats very rare… i ping 90-120, and my lagmeter is light up like a christmas tree, but with just two colors- Yellow and RED :frowning:

would love to see SD do a ETQW2 game with the IDTech5 engine… but i dont see ID allowing that… :mad:

as for Brink- one issue i have is the small maps and very busy HUD- at times i find it hard to tell who the hell is shooting at me… a lot going on, – that dam HUD… major turn off for me…

[QUOTE=Jimmy James;348264]You are confusing Return to Castle Wolfenstein with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. W:ET was initially meant to be an expansion/sequel to RtCW but SD didn’t do a single player storyline, instead focusing on the multiplayer aspect, so they ended up releasing it for free.

-JJ[/QUOTE]

MAdDock or something like that was responsible for the W:ET/SP- but, if memory serves the SP experienced issues or it wasnt good enough for ID… who knows, so it was scrapped and the MP was just released… as we all know, for free…

(DonkeyDong) #37

[QUOTE=MorsTua;347300]I Think i gained the opportunity to tell to SD guys what i really think. I paid it 32 euros.
Anyways there is a BIG SUGGESTION about people’s tastes in this message.

ps: if this thread didnt steal you a smile, it means that you are dead inside :slight_smile:
broooooow[/QUOTE]

i agree with mort.

i not only paid for it, i also took a vacation,… and couldn’t even PLAY IT…

talk about suckage. when’s the last time i baught a game i couldn’t play?.. browwwww
never.

sure there were other games that were bad on release but they were playable and quite fun. the worst other releases were bad company 2 but was still lots of fun AND playable, with only tweaks needed like c4 objectives etc etc.
other bad release was wolfenstein 2009,… but to be honest i loved it so much. the main thing that was sad was getting an early beta and then the beta was actually what they released.

what can we learn? release a game that is playable and then within 2 days fix the obivous issues with developers not sleeping and working 24hrs for it

(Crytiqal) #38

Sad thing is, they even delayed the game for a WHOLE year so what did they do in that time?

And then, the early screenshots look way better than what we have now.

(INF3RN0) #39

#textblocknovelL0L

ETQW as an infantry game was pretty great… the main draw back was the amount of “spam” in ETQW that was a hot topic when it came to Brink development. I feel like these issues were approached much too negatively when it came to Brink. ETQW was on the verge of being a very solid game, but mostly in part to community testers/modders who spent countless hours fine tuning the numbers of the game. Vehicles and more intensive artillery were the main “new ideas” in ETQW, and because they weren’t well balanced in the beginning it drove away a lot of people.

A few years into the game however, promod helped to greatly balance the vehicle and infantry game to a point where you would just acknowledge that vehicles were a part of the game. It just happened that most of the time it seemed pubs were dominated by vehicles, while the kids on the ground ran around like ants, which was true a lot of the time due to the sheer amount of vehicles available. The infantry play however shined on the maps which lacked vehicles, and the amount of gun variety they were able to put into the game while maintaining an incredibly solid balance among the weaponry was amazing (I may have only suggested noobtubes had reduced infantry dmg). Grenades in ETQW pretty much influenced how they function in Brink, as ETQW nades were usually a topic of “spam” discussion. As much as I miss the more advanced “cookable” nades I don’t think Brink made a bad development in this area.

Overall though, I think SD made a great decision to follow in the footsteps of rtcw style games. Wolf ET wasn’t too drastically different and it definitely opened up to a much larger audience due to it being free, so people got a taste of how good these games can be. ETQW tried to offer something new to the genre, but due to lack of support from the publisher and initial polish it met defeat. This however doesn’t mean that the game was a mistake, as there was a lot of good things about it. Brink though just dumbfounds people who played these past games however. It is like anything that was on the verge of perfection was just cut out or drastically simplified instead of being further developed and perfected. Brink really feels like a product that feared failure amongst fans, but if you cut a game down to a point where you can’t even confidently have discussions about the math of a gun fight… your going to have unhappy customers. It’s just that these past games did a lot of things sooooooooo well and it is just ridiculous to see so much of it lost in Brink.

I know that just about every decision in the game was a very conscious one and I believe that this game is playing the way it was intended by SD and the way they thought their fans wanted it. They had good intentions and they listened to the forum chatter for years, but every attempt at good change in Brink is joined by the loss of vital content. SD I really want you to know that people liked your core game mechanics the way they were, and only sought improvement upon it and expansion of ideas. If I would blame anything it is the developers willingness to listen to their community’s ideas. They aren’t bias by the competitive gamer elite, the casual pubber, or the outside spectator. I just feel like if anything needed to be done on SD part when it came to development decisions it would be the judgement on how serious a common forum topic really is, as well as how much a change is going to affect the overall game play.

The successful developers keep making the same game over and over again, until the money in it runs dry (CoD). BUT the developers who have success and make great games make the same game over and over again, but make it better every time (and this doesn’t just mean better graphics). It is really tough to follow up on great games, but it has been done and I think SD is highly capable at being one of those developers in the way that they care about their communities. Leaving it on the note that Brink already hit its prime for sales on initial release, SD has their profit and it’s up to them what they are going to do with the game. I can only encourage that the focus is spent less on material content to satisfy those left, and more on bringing the game play back to the level that made SD games so much fun to play. The majority of the people who abandoned the game felt it had a lot of potential, but it was missing too many of the game play aspects that have always made people choose SD games over the generic mainstream garbage.

(freefall) #40

The OP is completely correct about SD.

They should be banned from making games.