Dear Splash Damage...

(MorsTua) #1

It’s one of your customers here.

A bit deceived from Brink cause it’s a dead game and this is due to your total wrong choices.
I had to think and go back in your history to understand why you keep making such mistakes…

We go at the beginning, long time ago, when SD a group of QUAKE 3 mappers, started to make some mps for the goty map pack of RTCW

which maps did u make exactly???

BEACH ?No… is so simple, so tiny, so adrenalinic: 2 objectives. Plant at the wall, get the documents, transmit them via radio.
VILLAGE? No … village is too easy and little! Plant dyna at the crypt, steal objectives and transport them in the truck…
RADAR then? Nooooo … tiny map only 2 dynamites to plant to destroy 2 radars.

Which ones???

You made MARKETGARDEN (broooooooow) and TRAM SIEGE (broooooooow)

The biggest RTCW’S maps, the less played, the more complicated maps ever made. 64vs64 maps, 180 km, 30 mini-objectives to achieve the primary objective, 800 minutes at disposition… (first signs of your monochord attitude)

This should be your motto: "bigger+complications=BETTER "
And imo, that’s where you keep falling …

Then ID trusted in your talent (i dont deny it… you really are talented) and gave job for you: W:ET. The game was supposed to be SP and MP but you were so “fast” that ID had to remove the SP & make the game MP only as a free standalone.

What is ET? Pratically it’s the clone of RTCW … BUT …

Map are bigger, more complicate, with 10 objectives. (broooooooow)
There is a new class (spy) there are new weapons, new tools new xp, new bull****s . (broooooooow)

OMFG!!! They complicated what was so beauty cause simple…

The game was a half fail even if it was free and had such a strong fans comunity coming from RTCW
For our and ET’s luck BANI came and made a promod that “simplified” some things and reprogrammed the netcode
After 8 years , BANI’s ET is still played and still people unfairly attribuite the whole merit to SD
Nowadays, that “risen” gameplay, is still your biggest success and this says all.

Let’s talk about the game that was supposed to be your big step. Using the W:ET great name, you made ENEMY TERRITORY: QUAKE WAAAAARS (broooooooow)

In that game you applied all your “originality” and the result is known. A FAIL

You made bigger maps, added vehicles, more classes, more tools and more and more and more…and more and more and more…
The game was again complicated that you had to put tutoarials on every place and voices to explain hot to shoot, to move, to jump, to piss.

But everyone can fall. Important is to get up and go on!!!

3 years a go, you wrongly thought that the gamestyle of RTCW/ET was too old, and the primary reason of QW fail. (facepalm… The old gamestyle games are still played while your innovative games are ornaments)
Then you rightly thought to make your OWN gamestyle and your OWN game with the engine of someone else. (badum tishhhh)

You made BRINK (play 10 times the broooooooow)
What is BRINK? You picked the W:ET basic concept and complicated one more time the gameplay (brooooow)

More weapons, more customizable dolls, more tools, more turrets, more xp, more paths, more objectives, and more and more and more and more… and… more.
Maps are big, objectives are complicated, classes are mixed up. Result: PEOPLE DON’T UNDERSTAND A THING!!!
There are thousand of signals in the hud, thousand of icons and… HEY WAIT A MOMENT!!! who is shooting at me??? the icon of my laying friend is shooting at meeee!!!

COMPLICATIONS… and this is why you need so many explainations, icons, tooltips, that dont even work out cause when i play in the servers , i watch on my side and i see people with this expression.

what do i do now? (<-- clickable)

You said that after QW you learned from your mistakes guys.
But i really doubt that you even know how to use your talent. You think that complicate things attract people and make the product look original…

It’s false and this is why simple games, are still played after ages while BRINK is dead after 1 month and you need to give for free the dlc to call people back. (mark my words, i know the comunity, it will be useless)

The problem is not the RTCW/ET/QW style that is surpassed. The problem is that you make games that only please yourselves.
Your “complicate all that is good and looks ORIGINAL” motto, isn’t shared by the mass.

Think about it cause i am really sorry to see potential games like your last 2 titles fall in the black hole due to your wrong decisions…

Brink is out and people don’t play it. They ask for W:ET2…
think SD… think…think… thiiink… is this a subliminal message?

“Everything you say to exonerate yourself is false. Servers are ghost towns and this is the most significant evidenceof what i am saying…”

You know, i like you guys and this is why after 10 years am still around but i swear, BRINK is last game i buy from you :slight_smile:

and now u can play the film credits

(kilL_888) #2

dude, if you’re bored, go start write a blog.

if you want to start a discussion here you need to learn to use arguments instead of opinions.

i could paste/copy your whole post and point out that everything you find negative, i find positive. this leads nowhere.

(MorsTua) #3

[QUOTE=kilL_888;347293]dude, if you’re bored, go start write a blog.

if you want to start a discussion here you need to learn to use arguments instead of opinions.

i could paste/copy your whole post and point out that everything you find negative, i find positive. this leads nowhere.[/QUOTE]

I Think i gained the opportunity to tell to SD guys what i really think. I paid it 32 euros.
Anyways there is a BIG SUGGESTION about people’s tastes in this message.

ps: if this thread didnt steal you a smile, it means that you are dead inside :slight_smile:
broooooow

(sereNADE) #4

what i find interesting is that you go to SD’s past; linking trends to BRINK’s disappointment whereas most everyone else here will go to SD’s past to show you trends that go them so excited for BRINK the months leading up to its release.

(MorsTua) #5

sd past is sd future

Since the beginning they got the wrong way and their stamp is recognizable in every game they touch.
“bigger and complicated”

And this is a real sad part cause people could play best games ever if they understood how to use the talent they have and this can’t be denied.

Look at quakewars for example. The concept of the game was beautiful and genius. Ruined byt the complexity of the game, the big maps and the multiple objectives.Add a netcode that is buggy and the game is over.

I am sorry to tell them this cause many of them are really nice persons and its cool to chat with but i had to spit off this frog from my thoat. I hope this will be more a suggestion for next games than an offence, cause it’s not my intention to offende someone.

(wiesel1337) #6

I totally agree with MorsTua, RTCW was the best game sd has released by far, though Enemy Territory is a great fun as well ;). But it doesn’t change the fact that everything after that was kind of a huge fail.

(MorsTua) #7

hemmm rtcw was released by ID
For its luck sd made only some maps of the goty map pack :slight_smile:

(DarkangelUK) #8

SD didn’t create RtCW… just FYI.

(heXen) #9

this game with steam and VAC is ****.

pls return on etqw or ET style(better this) with PB.

no vac in Brink 2
no steam in brink 2

(Kl3ppy) #10

[QUOTE=heXen;347397]this game with steam and VAC is ****.

pls return on etqw or ET style(better this) with PB.

no vac in Brink 2
no steam in brink 2[/QUOTE]

no brink 2 at all. i would prefer that sd puts some money and manpower in etqw or even do etqw2. and this time sd, listen to the community and not just read the forums and say mhh yeah sound s good and when switching the topic u forgot all.

(SockDog) #11

Beyond the presentation, sniping and humour I think the OP has a point.

Does SD try too hard and ultimately cause itself issues by putting too much depth, originality and features into the game?

I know I feel the same way about XP. The more you generate rules to make it “fairer” the less freedom you allow players to have without penalising them. Is the same happening with their Class based Objective gameplay? Is the depth and detail bogging down the game? I know I certainly felt it was more a learning curve thing in the past but maybe that’s not the case.

Anyway. I’ll say again (to no doubt many sighs), that I feel SD should make a basic RTCW/W:ET mode in their game, then a Brink like mode with lots of bells and whistles. And hell maybe some other modes to keep people loading up the game. What seems to be clear is the one trick pony gamble they keep playing is still not working for them.

(M0TiF) #12

PLayed it for 5 hours and uninstalled.

All clans will quit after ESL anyway, such a phail.

g
g
g
g
g
g
g
:stroggtapir:

(kamikazee) #13

[QUOTE=MorsTua;347288]Then ID trusted in your talent (i dont deny it… you really are talented) and gave job for you: W:ET. The game was supposed to be SP and MP but you were so “fast” that ID had to remove the SP & make the game MP only as a free standalone.

There is a new class (spy) there are new weapons, new tools new xp, new bull****s . (broooooooow)

The game was a half fail even if it was free and had such a strong fans comunity coming from RTCW
For our and ET’s luck BANI came and made a promod that “simplified” some things and reprogrammed the netcode
After 8 years , BANI’s ET is still played and still people unfairly attribuite the whole merit to SD
Nowadays, that “risen” gameplay, is still your biggest success and this says all.
[/QUOTE]Wait, what? Bani and his crew added comp stuff, but he didn’t touch the W:ET gameplay as much as you would tend to believe. Most of the changes were fixes and tweaks, then people like Mortis came and started improving the map scripts.

At any rate, next time try befory you buy.

(MorsTua) #14

[QUOTE=kamikazee;347990]

At any rate, next time try befory you buy.[/QUOTE]

You say that bani pratically changed nothing? Lets take the biggest change… the hitboxes.

First they were sooo easy to be made cause the area was bigger. Bani made headshots harder to be made cause he reduced the area to the head.
Bani made the FIRST working antilag on id games. And this is only change some settings?
Plus he got rid of the spam with his settings.
Bani gave new life to a game that was already failing at beginning. First of all, cause old school players still preferred rtcw to et and they came back FAAAAST…

try before you buy? since when they released the brink’s demo?

1 rule: don’t feed the troll. I’ll ty to follow it…

:slight_smile:

(kamikazee) #15

Great counter-argument, accusing me of trolling when one starts a thread with such a derisive tone…

I meant what I said. If you made this thread because you feel cheated out of your money, simply don’t pre-order stuff and wait until you can rent the game or until one of your buddies caves in, especially if you are so well aware of SD’s past.

Again, threads like these do nothing. Vote with your wallet is all I’m saying.

EDIT: Oops, post editing going on. Gonna follow up with a second edit.

(Salteh) #16

People have told you this before… SD was not responsible for the SP part of W:ET.

(MorsTua) #17

you cant rent the game with steam account, mr troll

hf

however the story was, that’s not the point of my thread :wink:

(xTriXxy) #18

[QUOTE=MorsTua;347288]It’s one of your customers here.

A bit deceived from Brink cause it’s a dead game and this is due to your total wrong choices.
I had to think and go back in your history to understand why you keep making such mistakes…

We go at the beginning, long time ago, when SD a group of QUAKE 3 mappers, started to make some mps for the goty map pack of RTCW

which maps did u make exactly???

BEACH ?No… is so simple, so tiny, so adrenalinic: 2 objectives. Plant at the wall, get the documents, transmit them via radio.
VILLAGE? No … village is too easy and little! Plant dyna at the crypt, steal objectives and transport them in the truck…
RADAR then? Nooooo … tiny map only 2 dynamites to plant to destroy 2 radars.

Which ones???

You made MARKETGARDEN (broooooooow) and TRAM SIEGE (broooooooow)

The biggest RTCW’S maps, the less played, the more complicated maps ever made. 64vs64 maps, 180 km, 30 mini-objectives to achieve the primary objective, 800 minutes at disposition… (first signs of your monochord attitude)

This should be your motto: "bigger+complications=BETTER "
And imo, that’s where you keep falling …

Then ID trusted in your talent (i dont deny it… you really are talented) and gave job for you: W:ET. The game was supposed to be SP and MP but you were so “fast” that ID had to remove the SP & make the game MP only as a free standalone.

Let’s talk about the game that was supposed to be your big step. Using the W:ET great name, you made ENEMY TERRITORY: QUAKE WAAAAARS (broooooooow)

In that game you applied all your “originality” and the result is known. A FAIL

You made bigger maps, added vehicles, more classes, more tools and more and more and more…and more and more and more…
The game was again complicated that you had to put tutoarials on every place and voices to explain hot to shoot, to move, to jump, to piss.

But everyone can fall. Important is to get up and go on!!!

3 years a go, you wrongly thought that the gamestyle of RTCW/ET was too old, and the primary reason of QW fail. (facepalm… The old gamestyle games are still played while your innovative games are ornaments)
Then you rightly thought to make your OWN gamestyle and your OWN game with the engine of someone else. (badum tishhhh)

You made BRINK (play 10 times the broooooooow)
What is BRINK? You picked the W:ET basic concept and complicated one more time the gameplay (brooooow)

More weapons, more customizable dolls, more tools, more turrets, more xp, more paths, more objectives, and more and more and more and more… and… more.
Maps are big, objectives are complicated, classes are mixed up. Result: PEOPLE DON’T UNDERSTAND A THING!!!
There are thousand of signals in the hud, thousand of icons and… HEY WAIT A MOMENT!!! who is shooting at me??? the icon of my laying friend is shooting at meeee!!!

COMPLICATIONS… and this is why you need so many explainations, icons, tooltips, that dont even work out cause when i play in the servers , i watch on my side and i see people with this expression.

what do i do now? (<-- clickable)

You said that after QW you learned from your mistakes guys.
But i really doubt that you even know how to use your talent. You think that complicate things attract people and make the product look original…

It’s false and this is why simple games, are still played after ages while BRINK is dead after 1 month and you need to give for free the dlc to call people back. (mark my words, i know the comunity, it will be useless)

The problem is not the RTCW/ET/QW style that is surpassed. The problem is that you make games that only please yourselves.
Your “complicate all that is good and looks ORIGINAL” motto, isn’t shared by the mass.

Think about it cause i am really sorry to see potential games like your last 2 titles fall in the black hole due to your wrong decisions…

Brink is out and people don’t play it. They ask for W:ET2…
think SD… think…think… thiiink… is this a subliminal message?

“Everything you say to exonerate yourself is false. Servers are ghost towns and this is the most significant evidenceof what i am saying…”

You know, i like you guys and this is why after 10 years am still around but i swear, BRINK is last game i buy from you :slight_smile:

and now u can play the film credits[/QUOTE]

your posts looks like recruitation from deep hell or UFO sect.
I dont agree with you that ETQW and BRINK are fail games. They are just too unique. Thats all.

(kamikazee) #19

[QUOTE=MorsTua;348030]however the story was, that’s not the point of my thread ;)[/QUOTE]Your point is all woven into the story, confusing the heck out of me and probably others…

[QUOTE=MorsTua;348030]you cant rent the game with steam account, mr troll

hf[/quote]Ok, I forgot about Steam there, just as I forgot about the extensive list of changes the ETPro team made to W:ET and what they contributed back in the form of the patches. Apologies for the mess.

However, at any rate, a demo is a feature, which as you said wouldn’t help the game. If there’s no demo why did you buy the game and then complain about it if you know SD’s modus operandi better than I do?

(jazevec) #20

Even if it wasn’t Splash Damage’s fault, W:ET was a commercial failure. The fact that someone else failed doesn’t prove W:ET would succeed otherwise. W:ET had a tremendous advantage over competition - it was released for free. The only competition it had among free games was America’s Army.

If you look at it this way, history of Splash Damage looks like this:

• Quake 3 Fortress mod was good. Fun to play, solid from technical point of view. Yet somehow it looks like SD is ashamed of it - it’s not mentioned anywhere on SD website.

• Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Solid from technical point of view and fun to play. Still, a commercial failure.

• Enemy Territory: Quake Wars . Fun to play, but not solid technically, serious issues, bad framerates on good machines, dropping connections. Reasonable sales, but virtually not played anymore, hasn’t managed to keep a healthy community. And a disaster on consoles.

• Brink: a flop. Technical issues, design issues, bad balance.

Based on these, it’s hard to call Splash Damage an above average developer. Track record is not impressive at all.