DB Toxicity Survey results.

(Eox) #1

I just closed the DB survey. I managed to get over 160 answers for this one, which is quite good IMO as I only expected half of that result. :slight_smile:

For those of you who are curious, here’s the results.

Sounds like you guys found DB overall quite toxic sadly.

If you guys want to see all individual answers, download the PDF file through this link : http://www117.zippyshare.com/v/EKdJPq0W/file.html

This is pretty embarrassing. Y’all have some really thin skin or haven’t played very many other competitive games if you find the DB community or its online experience problematic. The game itself doesn’t inherently cause people to act like ‘x’ in the first place. Of course, queue the comments and finger pointing about ‘lack of this’ or developers ‘not doing that’ as the primary reasons for their tantrums and toxicity. Whiners like to whine. Keep doing your thing, SD. Some changes have been crap, some have been great, but the recent involvement with the boards and amount of work that’s going into the game is promising.

(Teflon Love) #3

@Eox said:

It would be interesting to know how the people who answered the survey rate the toxicity of other games in comparison.

(Tesralii) #4

Comparing it to DOTA where racial epitaphs are every other word…
…like a 3?
Occasionally you get someone shrieking over the mic in ranked but it’s pretty limited…

(Eox) #5

@teflonlove said:

@Eox said:

It would be interesting to know how the people who answered the survey rate the toxicity of other games in comparison.

Individual answers you mean ? Posting each of those might be a bit of a hassle. But maybe I can try something.

EDIT : I made a zippyshare link containing a PDF with all the single answers that you guys can check out. http://www117.zippyshare.com/v/EKdJPq0W/file.html

If the link doesn’t work or if you have any issue, tell me : I’m going to reupload that PDF with another file hosting website. I’m also adding this link to the OP.

(Teflon Love) #6

@Eox said:

@teflonlove said:

@Eox said:

Individual answers you mean ? Posting each of those might be a bit of a hassle. But maybe I can try something.

What I meant was if someone rates DB’s toxicity as e.g. 6, would they rate each of CS:GO / TF2 / Overwatch / Paladins / LOL / … lower or higher? This would put the results into perspective.

(Terminal_6) #7

Is there an easy way to filter the toxicity scale results by how the previous question were answered? i.e. toxicity based on those who never play ranked

@Terminal_6 said:
Is there an easy way to filter the toxicity scale results by how the previous question were answered? i.e. toxicity based on those who never play ranked

Yes, please. This would be great to see.

(Eox) #9

@Terminal_6 said:

You can try to check this out in the PDF file. If needed, maybe I can put in place a download link to an excel version of the grid : this might allow you to see stuff a bit better.

Making a SQL query on that table would have been so much simple as well, but I don’t know if there’s a way for me to do that. :confused:

(Xenithos) #10

@Wintergreen said:
This is pretty embarrassing. Y’all have some really thin skin or haven’t played very many other competitive games if you find the DB community or its online experience problematic. The game itself doesn’t inherently cause people to act like ‘x’ in the first place. Of course, queue the comments and finger pointing about ‘lack of this’ or developers ‘not doing that’ as the primary reasons for their tantrums and toxicity. Whiners like to whine. Keep doing your thing, SD. Some changes have been crap, some have been great, but the recent involvement with the boards and amount of work that’s going into the game is promising.

I 5000% agree with you. And I’m upset almost every other match and I rated it maybe a 3-4? Can’t remember but it was pretty freaking low, this game’s toxicity is TAME.

(Muddy Muddy Mud Nade) #11

It’s not free of toxicity, but Dirty Bomb is a springtime freaking meadow compared to Overwatch.

(Terminal_6) #12

When I answered the poll I was only thinking of verbal toxicity (in chat, rather) but do people think of other forms too? Like abusing vote kicks, “not trying,” tapping out if you think that’s in bad taste.

(Darkwolf3802) #13

@MuddyGrenade said:
It’s not free of toxicity, but Dirty Bomb is a springtime freaking meadow compared to Overwatch.

Dirty Bomb isnt as good as it was afew yrs ago. It used to be alot better.

(Muddy Muddy Mud Nade) #14

@Terminal_6 said:
When I answered the poll I was only thinking of verbal toxicity (in chat, rather) but do people think of other forms too? Like abusing vote kicks, “not trying,” tapping out if you think that’s in bad taste.

I think verbal was what Eox was going for.

(Terminal_6) #15

So I did a little adding and the results are surprising, imo.

Among respondents who never play ranked, the average was 5/10 exactly.
Among those who sometimes play ranked, the average was 5.29/10.
And among those who often play ranked, the average was 5.41/10.

Personally, I virtually never play ranked and I rated somewhere between 0 and 2 (don’t remember). I so rarely see anyone being toxic in game.

(Stokes1) #16

By far, one of, if not the most toxic community I’ve been a part of. In game, it’s absolutely pathetic.

(Eox) #17

@Stokes1 said:
By far, one of, if not the most toxic community I’ve been a part of. In game, it’s absolutely pathetic.

You haven’t seen OW’s community yet tbh.

(Eox) #18

@Terminal_6 said:

I had to answer that kind of question in the poll’s thread, and I said that it was up to the user to decide. So it could be anything.

(Eox) #19

@Terminal_6 said:
So I did a little adding and the results are surprising, imo.

Among respondents who never play ranked, the average was 5/10 exactly.
Among those who sometimes play ranked, the average was 5.29/10.
And among those who often play ranked, the average was 5.41/10.

Personally, I virtually never play ranked and I rated somewhere between 0 and 2 (don’t remember). I so rarely see anyone being toxic in game.

That’s some extrememly interesting results. It sounds like the amount of toxicity felt isn’t tied too much to ranked players. Maybe checking per region could be interesting as well.

(emjot) #20

Europe-East? There is no such an option to choose from ranked regions O_o. Am I blind?