Compiling and modifying the SDK source code on Windows

(BackSnip3) #21

Hi,

It looks like the platform toolset settings are wrong. It can come from the .targets/.props file or something else.

This is the contents of my v80 folder :

v80.zip (1.85 KB)

Replace your v80 folder with it and test again. Please make sure that you’ve set the Platform Toolset to v80 for the 3 projects in Visual Studio. Also make sure that your registry keys are OK.

If it doesn’t work, change the plaftorm toolset to something else. Then save. Then exit VS, then reopen solution, then change the platform toolset again.

When you change the plaftorm toolset and the settings are correct, you should see the IDE statusbar (blue bar) say that it’s parsing the include files.

Also if you look at the external dependencies and find a file from Windows SDK, it should come from the SDK that you installed not 7.0 or newer.

There might be problem with copy/paste of the data from my pdf (encoding things).

Please try with the attached files and let me know.

(maggol) #22

Replacing v80 with yours and here the result

the console

1>------ Build started: Project: idLib, Configuration: Debug with edit and continue Win32 ------
1> Lib.cpp
1>d:\sourcecode\etqw\idlib…/idlib/LibOS.h(66): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘windows.h’: No such file or directory
2>------ Build started: Project: libGameDecl, Configuration: Debug with edit and continue Win32 ------
2> precompiled.cpp
2>d:\sourcecode\etqw\idlib\libos.h(66): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘windows.h’: No such file or directory
3>------ Build started: Project: game, Configuration: Debug with edit and continue Win32 ------
3> precompiled.cpp
3>d:\sourcecode\etqw\idlib\libos.h(66): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘windows.h’: No such file or directory
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 3 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

(BackSnip3) #23

Ok that’s a lot better. Now it just doesn’t find your windows SDK. Please double check your registry keys. You can look in the files I gave you, to see which registry path it is looking for. Please double check everything and follow whole tutorial and it should be ok!

(maggol) #24

After double checking and try to reinstall windows platform sdk, still no go for me. Still have that windows.h missing problem.

Then i check my windows SDK and it seems, windows.h is gone from my windows sdk.

Btw, i’m not a programmer, sorry if i trouble you

(BackSnip3) #25

What did you do?? Please follow all steps of tutorial, I don’t think I ever said to install platform SDK in a 6.0A folder!
We only create a registry key called Windows/6.0A because it doesn’t work when using other name. But it has nothing to do with where the SDK is installed.

Here is my registry key :

Here is Windows 2003 Platform SDK folder installed in default location.

With Windows.h file :

Here is other (more recent) Windows SDK folder where you shouldn’t have 6.0A installed.

If you don’t have this, you didn’t follow tutorial. Please redo tutorial and use the v80 zip file I gave earlier.

Good luck

(maggol) #26

I’m sorry, but i have followed your tutorial step by step and still have that windows.h can’t located error.

If this help

My registry key

my windows.h file location

(maggol) #27

My Windows Platform SDK folder

and my windows SDK folder

(BackSnip3) #28

See here you shouldn’t have 6.0A installed. Do you have VS2008 installed on your PC?
Try deleting 6.0A folder in Microsoft SDKs/Windows

(maggol) #29

Just the redistributable

Deleting v6.0A and still have the error