Combating the toxic

(TheWickedsin) #1

Hello all;

Question/ call to action for all of you, how do we combat the toxic nature of DB/what can you do to change it.

Lofty goals I know but I tire of the in game community and the racist/homophobic/misogynistic comments. I know there will always be salt and trolls who cry gg ez when it was an unbalanced dumpster fire but I ask how to we curb the vile language and insults this community throws?

This is “my game” meaning I play nothing else, and more and more I see language I just can’t agree with not abide. Curse all you want but words meant to oppress people that aren’t white, or straight, or male is a truly appalling.

How can we as a community stop the advancement of this oppression?

(Melinder) #2

Stop players getting into this emotional state of mind by properly balancing the game, ensuring that players aren’t in a fit of rage 90% of the time they’re playing.

(bushyg) #3

Lol, it’s not even that bad compared to some games. Also, it’s the internet in general. Anonymity offers people the chance to say stupid shit without repercussions, *stupid shit like: “…words meant to oppress people that aren’t white, or straight, or male is a truly appalling.”

~ hudToggle chat

(K1X455) #4

Do the tutorial

(Eox) #5

You can report players throwing a fuss in the game silently. Here’s the steps to do :

1. In a match, press tab to show the players in the server.
  2. Press right click to enable the mouse control.
  3. Hover the player’s tab you want to report and press right click.
  4. Select “report this player” and fill the report ticket.

IMPORTANT NOTE : SD lacks “abusive behaviour” as an option to report players, but they are aware of it. If you want to report misbehaving, use “offensive name” instead.

Alternatively, you can report them after the game through the in game support by following this link : https://dirtybombsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us. Make sure to bring some screenshots as proof of their misbehaviour as well, they will be needed.

By the way, thank you for reporting abusive players. We don’t need mad kids to turn this game into something as toxic as League of Legends or Overwatch. :slight_smile:

(bontsa) #6

“muteall” console command also works wonders, as you’ll still see (think its a bug though) quickchat so you can keep track of medic calls and whatnot.

Report function too like Eox mentioned. Soo report -> mute -> enjoy rest of the match. That’s basically best thing to do, if everyone would be able to/aware of muting, these single toxicity spewing individuals would be screaming into void. Which, trust me on this one, is the worst thing to happen to them. They’re seeking for attention for whatever reason, and not giving that to them in the slightest is really good way of getting rid of the behaviour little by little.

That or you can follow some other good advice given here by Extra Credits, who also go bit into the reasons and effects of these actions. Worth watching. As you can see some of the things (ie. blaming gamemechanics) already utilized quite far and wide, not only in-game but here in forums too :wink:

(GatoCommodore) #7

-im tired of slurs

im tired of bad players claiming they are playing the game while they chat all the time to make the other team responds to their bait.

(Sorotia) #8

@Melinder said:
Stop players getting into this emotional state of mind by properly balancing the game, ensuring that players aren’t in a fit of rage 90% of the time they’re playing.

People are still going to rage…just yesterday me and my entire team got called hackers by some guy who was just a sore loser.

(Xerny) #9

Mate, every competitive game has it’s bad apples, including DB. It’s best that you just think they’re just some people begging for attention, if they harass you, well the best thing you can do is mute them or just sit back and enjoy watching them dispense you with tons and tons of pure salt.

hmm… yummy…

(Matisakki) #10

Open console, type muteall, press enter.

(Nail) #11

who’s the brain trust who flagged his post ?
@Eox take the flag away and jail whoever put it there

(Guziol) #12

Don’t get upset.

How do I combat the toxicity? Embrace it and laugh at it. That or just plug my mic’ in and then suddenly all the cute talk stops real quick. Maybe I’m just a mean bastard with a deep voice that sounds old. Works wonders.

(TheStrangerous) #14

just ignore them, let them get worked over nothin’.

(Press E) #15

@Eox said:
You can report players throwing a fuss in the game silently. Here’s the steps to do :

IMPORTANT NOTE : SD lacks “abusive behaviour” as an option to report players, but they are aware of it. If you want to report misbehaving, use “offensive name” instead.

Alternatively, you can report them after the game through the in game support by following this link : https://dirtybombsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us. Make sure to bring some screenshots as proof of their misbehaviour as well, they will be needed.

By the way, thank you for reporting abusive players. We don’t need mad kids to turn this game into something as toxic as League of Legends or Overwatch. :slight_smile:

Can they actually do anything with this though?

I mean, as far as I know DB doesn’t keep record of chats. And even if they did, there’s a lot of cancerous behavior that happens outside of chat too. Player targeting, especially with spawn camping and spawn fragging, unfriendly teabagging, etc.

Without recording that the player is actually doing, there’s a large window to abuse this system. Don’t like someone? Tell your friends to report them for abusive behavior and such.

I don’t like constantly angry people either, but still.

(Eox) #16

@STARRYSOCK said:

@Eox said:

I mean, as far as I know DB doesn’t keep record of chats. And even if they did, there’s a lot of cancerous behavior that happens outside of chat too. Player targeting, especially with spawn camping and spawn fragging, unfriendly teabagging, etc.

Without recording that the player is actually doing, there’s a large window to abuse this system. Don’t like someone? Tell your friends to report them for abusive behavior and such.

As far as I know, they do keep track of chat. Also, spawn camp and teabagging can’t be a ban motive. If you are not sure, the old report way through the forums exists, but it asks a bit more efforts (and actual screenshot proof).

(Press E) #17

@Eox said:

@STARRYSOCK said:

@Eox said:

As far as I know, they do keep track of chat. Also, spawn camp and teabagging can’t be a ban motive. If you are not sure, the old report way through the forums exists, but it asks a bit more efforts (and actual screenshot proof).

Oh god, that means SD’s read all the memes I paste in game

(bontsa) #18

@STARRYSOCK said:

Ok ok now hang on a minute there.

Please don’t tell me anyone here actually reports people of spawncamping alone???

Like sure it can get annoying, but it’s legitimate strategy in DB, managin keeping Attackers in spawn for whatever timespawn means they aren’t doing the Objective, stopping which is exactly the Defenders entire purpose for crying out loud

Theres someone excessively trashtalking (remember that “ez game ez life” 2/40 Vassili getting carried by his actually useful teammates? Yea, that freaking kid exactly) and insulting the opposition while spawncamping? Sure blaze ahead but for heavens sake its not the sake of spawncamp you’re then reporting them off, but the powertrip they get intoxicated with and start being pieces of utter sh1te of human verbal and mental waste.

Teabagging??? Don’t even get me started on that one, rant over.

(GatoCommodore) #19

i thought player targeting is a good strategy?
knock off the good medic and the high level, the rest will be piece of cake

(Your worst knifemare.) #20

I usually just say something salt related.
Works most of the time.