Cobalt Skins:

Am I the only one that can’t stand the way cobalt skins make most of their mercs look? I honestly prefer gold on all of mine. Admittedly, I’d go so far to say I prefer silver and even bronze on a lot. (Yes, I’m serious - some bronze skins on mercs like Fletcher have a more authentic feel for the class, imo.) There’s just somethin’ about that shiny silver and blue cobalt tint that seems cheesy to me and it’s really noticeable in game. Could be good or bad thing depending on how you look at it, I suppose. So, that said, I’m a bit torn about whether or not I should recycle a bunch of my cobalts and go for a lot of golds. Do I want that sexy gold look on multiple cards or should I cling to the rarity of cobalt?

How do y’all feel about it and what are your favorite skins? Is rarity more important than appearance to you? If so, how important? Would you run a good cobalt over a ‘perfect’ bronze/silver/gold/special loadout?

I’d rank my favorites like this:
Obsidian > Gold > Ranked Seasons 2 & 3 > Other Specials/Events > Silver > Cobalt > Bronze

(Your worst knifemare.) #2

Anything bronze and above is free game when it comes to usefulness so just use the skins you like and save those cobalts for when trading comes out or the crafting system gets better.

(scrub_lord) #3

Of course some of the Founders are my favorite, but I really like the Red version of the gold cards and the Chrome cobalts

As far as usefulness over aesthetics, I always go for my preferred loadout first. I got all the ones I wanted in Bronze first and I’m now almost finished getting them all in Gold. I don’t have enough shards to go for my Cobalt Arty I’ve been wanting anymore and after getting the same loadout 3 times in a row I kind of gave up on it anyways :’(

Oh yea and I really regret not trying to get a Dickens Phoenix. Best skin in the game

(Press E) #4

Well, which skin you like is a matter of taste. I personally hate all of the gold cards, cobalt fragment is one of my favourites.

Of course it’s not that realistic to be wearing chrome into a battlefield (nor gold for that matter), but when again DB isn’t that realistic anyways. Plus I do like being able to show off my bling with cobalts.

Just chose whatever skin you want, it has no affect in game unless you’re trying to roleplay as some vassili hiding in the bushes with a bronze skin.

@Lord_Coctus said:
Anything bronze and above is free game when it comes to usefulness so just use the skins you like and save those cobalts for when trading comes out or the crafting system gets better.

Has the trading been confirmed? Good point on saving them for a crafting change, though. Even if trading isn’t added it’d probably be best to hang on to 'em pending some changes. Guess it’s just a waiting game for me then 'cause I was getting pretty close to recycling 6 cobalts and buying a bunch of crafting kits to go for a ton of golds on mercs I wanted.

@scrub_lord Yeah, that Founder’s Skyhammer is easily one of my favorite skins in the game.

(everlovestruck) #6

It all comes to taste.

(Unrivaled) #7

I think cobalts are nice, but I’m really not into gold ones, except for Swiss red ones that I find really nice on most mercs. Overall I think silvers are my favourite ones, on most mercs at least. Especially with digital camo, even though I prefer carbon fiber on some weapons (but not the character model).

(Chilled Sanity) #8

@STARRYSOCK said:
Well, which skin you like is a matter of taste. I personally hate all of the gold cards, cobalt fragment is one of my favourites.

Of course it’s not that realistic to be wearing chrome into a battlefield (nor gold for that matter), but when again DB isn’t that realistic anyways. Plus I do like being able to show off my bling with cobalts.

Just chose whatever skin you want, it has no affect in game unless you’re trying to roleplay as some vassili hiding in the bushes with a bronze skin.

FRAGMENT BROTHERHOOD UNITE

(RectalTerror) #9

Why do you care about the appearance of your merc that you don’t yourself see in the game?

Cobalt isn’t about the look, it’s about the color. It’s a significant advantage to look like the enemy, especially for close-range mercs. A Proxy has to be cobalt, to plant in front of noobs without them caring.
And I’m lvl66 and I still sometimes find myself killed by someone I didn’t shoot at, thinking he was a teammate.

The opposite of this are those silly Humble Bundle red cards, that make you look like the enemy, and constantly shot at by your team.

@376E1AE459B1 said:
Why do you care about the appearance of your merc that you don’t yourself see in the game?

Cobalt isn’t about the look, it’s about the color. It’s a significant advantage to look like the enemy, especially for close-range mercs. A Proxy has to be cobalt, to plant in front of noobs without them caring.
And I’m lvl66 and I still sometimes find myself killed by someone I didn’t shoot at, thinking he was a teammate.

The opposite of this are those silly Humble Bundle red cards, that make you look like the enemy, and constantly shot at by your team.

Because you do actually see a lot of yourself in the game? Starting with the sparkly weapon or chromed out deep blue and part of your arms/equipment. You see yourself at the end of games, in the new CMM menus, when you die, and so on. It’s about knowing and wanting others to see my merc look like ‘x’ skin. Not a big deal, but answering your question about why I care. Do some people really have a hard time distinguishing enemy cobalts and teammates, though? I don’t think I’ve ever noticed or had a hard time with it. Gonna pay more attention now when I play later.

(AlbinMatt) #11

Shard’s colour scheme and texture is a big no-no for me. I can’t stand glossy weapons, which is also why I despise Crown. Fragment is nice though.

Also didn’t we have the same thread a month ago?

@AlbinMatt said:
Shard’s colour scheme and texture is a big no-no for me. I can’t stand glossy weapons, which is also why I despise Crown. Fragment is nice though.

Also didn’t we have the same thread a month ago?

Agreed about the gloss. Also, oops on my part if this was already made recently. Still skimming around the boards and getting used to the forum so don’t mind me. I’m on mobile at the moment, but I’ll check and see if there’s a forum thread search option when I’m back at home for future reference.

Edit: Yep, search tool right there in front of my face on mobile too lol. Noted for next time. Feel free to send this thread to the forum abyss!

(Sorotia) #13

I like the cobalt skins but honestly they aren’t worth it to me…cost of a merc just to likely get a card I’ll never use anyways.

(doxjq) #14

Depends on the type. I hate shard with a passion, but love the fragment.

(Boory Marks) #15

I like the cobalt skins, but my fave skin is swiss red, and all the other gold skins to me look pretty bad, unless they’re on certain mercs and/or weapons. I also think urban camo is underrated

(Teflon Love) #16

@Sorotia said:
I like the cobalt skins but honestly they aren’t worth it to me…cost of a merc just to likely get a card I’ll never use anyways.

They used to be useful only to blow up credits during crafting week.

Now you also can get “achievements”.

(Your worst knifemare.) #17

I’m unlucky enough to get any cobalts from RNGesus and don’t feel like crafting so i wouldn’t know how much i like my cobalts until then. I think Bamboo looks weird on most of the mercs, Crown makes my Sparps beautiful and Swiss is unmatched by other golds. I personally like Urban and Ranked 3 skins the best.

Well, I did it. At least with a few of my golds and most of my cobalts. Got so many credits and crafting kits to spend. Goal is to get absolutely everything and anything I could ever find myself using in bronze (almost there anyway), carbon on 75% of my cards I commonly use, and crown gold for all of my main loadouts. Be good to me tonight, DB.

Also, no idea why so many people call the other silver loadout urban. I guess I sort of see it, but to me it seems more of like a digital winter/tundra camo. Looks great on Phoenix.

(Sorotia) #19

@Wintergreen said:
Well, I did it. At least with a few of my golds and most of my cobalts. Got so many credits and crafting kits to spend. Goal is to get absolutely everything and anything I could ever find myself using in bronze (almost there anyway), carbon on 75% of my cards I commonly use, and crown gold for all of my main loadouts. Be good to me tonight, DB.

Also, no idea why so many people call the other silver loadout urban. I guess I sort of see it, but to me it seems more of like a digital winter/tundra camo. Looks great on Phoenix.

Because that is what it is officially called…I know it’s snow camo but the game calls it urban.

(RectalTerror) #20

@Wintergreen said:
Do some people really have a hard time distinguishing enemy cobalts and teammates, though? I don’t think I’ve ever noticed or had a hard time with it. Gonna pay more attention now when I play later.

I do, and others do too, considering the amount of times I planted in front of the enemy, using cobalt Proxy.
Of course it’s for close encounters, for far ones you rely on the arrow. Thus a cobalt sniper is of no use.
I remember one day we were 3 cobalts in the above room in Terminal. Me and 2 enemies, but for some reason we didn’t notice each other, and thus for several seconds no one shot, making us believe even more that we were all teammates.

Those who deny all this say they rely on the “halo”. I’ve never seen that “halo” around players, no idea what it’s about.