Chrome: Currency Changes & Mode Availability

(Silvanoshi) #1

Hello one and all,

Quite some time has passed since we last spoke about changes for RAD Soldiers. Let’s fix that shall we? Today we would like to tell you about two key changes that are making their way to the Chrome version of RAD Soldiers:

[ul]
[li]RAD Bux will be converted to Coins[/li][li]Multiplayer will say farewell to the Chrome version of RAD Soldiers[/li][/ul]
RAD Bux are no more!
That’s right, in order to make everything easier to understand, we’ll be converting all RAD Bux in the game to Coins (with a bonus 15%* applied to the conversion process thanks to the friendly Tapirs :)). With RAD Bux gone, Coins will now be the currency that will allow you to purchase everything in the game!

Farewell Multiplayer
The single player campaign in the Chrome variant of RAD Soldiers has been a terrific success. Gamers around the globe have shown their love for raining death down upon bots. Apparently, there just isn’t quite the same thirst for blood when it comes to fragging fellow humans, as multiplayer has a small % of players by comparison on Chrome. As a result, we have decided to focus on the single player experience that the majority of Chrome players love, and remove the multiplayer mode that hasn’t really caught on.

Below you’ll find an FAQ that will hopefully make this process easier.

FAQ
When will this update be released?
We’re currently working to crush a few remaining bugs. This process can be a tricky one, which means that we can’t tell you precisely when it will go live, but we’ll be sure to let you know as we close in :)!

What will happen to my RAD Bux?
It’s all rather straightforward really, your RAD Bux will be converted to Coins. To make sure that the conversion process is as pain-free as possible, we’ll give you a bonus 15%* during the RAD Bux conversion process. Enjoy!

What about the items in RAD Soldiers that were only available for RAD Bux?
Any and all RAD Bux prices will be removed and replaced with a new Coin price instead.

Will I still be able to purchase RAD Bux from the store?
No, we’ll be removing the option to purchase RAD Bux from the game.

Will I lose any of my progress, or anything that I have previously purchased?
Nope! You’ll keep everything that you’ve earned to date, bar your RAD Bux which will be coverted to Coins with a 15% bonus to the exchange rate.

Will I be able to play multiplayer in RAD Soldiers on Chrome after this update?
Not after this update, no. We’re focusing on providing the single player experience that so many more players have enjoyed to date.

On the whole, we believe that these changes will make the RAD Soldiers experience on Chrome even better for the vast majority of Chrome players. We hope that you understand why this has been done. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask them below.

*Given the nature of rounding numbers, there might be a minor variance in bonus %, but we’ll endeavour to get it as close to 15% as possible.

UPDATE:
With the release of OS X 10.10; the aforementioned Chrome/Unity compatibility issues mean that RAD Soldiers does not work on 10.10. Unfortunately, this is not something that we will be able to address as it’s a core technology issue.

(Coup_de_grace) #2

This is a disappointment i have to say. It was great when RAD came to Chrome, since not everyone owns an Ipad or an IPhone. Being able to play on Chrome also enables more flexibility to play RAD off my MacBook and Asus. Without multiplayer RAD is just a one week marathon. Challenges are not difficult nor sufficient to earn continuous coins.:frowning: I have to say too that there isn’t a concrete progressing storyline that keeps players engaged in single player. :rolleyes:

Overall, i think it is a bad decision to cut multiplayer support for us Chrome players. Cause multiplayer is the very HEART of the game

(Nail) #3

can we buy crate keys with these coins ?

(g00n) #4

I agree with Coup_de_grace

Overall, i think it is a bad decision to cut multiplayer support for us Chrome players. Cause multiplayer is the very HEART of the game

Seriously the single play just dosnt cut it for me, once played, it just used to practice for me on the hard scenarios with random squadies, the low squad point games a waste of time. I can understand popularity of it, (quick money and experience and no waiting. I actually I thought ipod/ipad or iphone be more popular for single player to pass time while waiting. Chrome opened up more to those without mac products.

Chrome based is much nicer to play others for it is big screened. When multiplayer goes so will the chance of video recording. I was hoping I be able to try out this with a reliable opponent in crime. BAH!

Rad Bux im fine with.

I probably delete chrome version and not play as much for I hardly use ipod since new computer.

For chrome I hope you sort out the enlarging from window to full screen format, it is damn frustrating when I have to keep going in to click from the window which is still totally stretched out and not sorted and clicking on full screen not staying when returning back into game. Not to also mention the problem when returning from full screen to window, to look at other stuff on computer, buttons dont click eg trying out squad toon.

I prefer players than computer bots, there is more of a challenge and competitive spirit, bots you just dont get that feeling once you beat them first game.

(Silvanoshi) #5

Hi guys,

It is indeed unfortunate that multiplayer in Chrome won’t be around anymore. In an ideal world we would have loved to be able to keep it, even though only a small percentage of players actually use it. Unfortunately, Unity, the engine upon which RAD Soldiers is built, no longer supports the Chrome app store. This makes ensuring MP for RAD on Chrome a tricky proposition for us. That combined with the low number of multiplayer gamers on Chrome means that we can’t keep multiplayer around.

@Nail

Crate keys?

(Mustang) #6

This is a very poor idea, especially without an Android release, without multiplayer you might as well just remove PC support completely, simply shocked…
:armadillo :

(g00n) #7

ok so its a major thing happening and it affects a lot of other things on web http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying-goodbye-to-our-old-friend-npapi.html
Unity hasnt said much that I could see googling, is there alternatives that RAD can look for? For why keep something based on old technology going?

(Silvanoshi) #8

[QUOTE=Mustang;511467]This is a very poor idea, especially without an Android release, without multiplayer you might as well just remove PC support completely, simply shocked…
:armadillo :[/QUOTE]
Given that the vast majority of Chrome players stuck with the single player experience, keeping the single player around for those guys certainly makes sense.

[QUOTE=g00n;511572]ok so its a major thing happening and it affects a lot of other things on web http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying-goodbye-to-our-old-friend-npapi.html
Unity hasnt said much that I could see googling, is there alternatives that RAD can look for? For why keep something based on old technology going?[/QUOTE]
Moving a game from one engine to another is a lengthy lengthy process. We have been investigating a couple of possibilities, but for the time being we need to proceed with the plans as mentioned in the post above.

(Jerry-Rigs) #9

<expletive deleted>! No, not just <expletive deleted>, double <expletive deleted>! This situation stinks.

I understand your engine has screwed you on Chrome.
I read the comments about percentages of players per platform.
I remember that RAD was a huge hit when it was launched on iOS.
I know that Android based devices (and therefore the user base) vastly out number iOS based devices.
I’m not going to the trouble to find the post, but I remember that ~90% of the RAD code is common between iOS and Chrome so you’re only <“only” ha!> talking the engine interface code.
Please consider re-basing RAD on an Android compatible engine and relaunching to the much larger audience that has never been able to play it.

(Silvanoshi) #10

The notion that RAD might make an appearance on other platforms hasn’t been entirely ruled out. We’re not focusing any development time on that right now, as there are more pressing concerns with the forthcoming update, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t happen later down the line.

(tinker) #11

as I remember the crates were said to leave the game quite early, having them only around for a couple of weeks
If they still are there, I guess they should not be

but actually they would be perfect for chrome, considering it’s only for single-player (the loot-crates only hit on single-player)

my question actually is:
does the progress still save on the “one” account

and - now that the game is partly only single-player … will the single player get more and/or constant new missions?
having all 3 features, (loot crates [key buying on iOS or chrome shop] , same progress on the ONE account, AND constant and/or new missions)
would actually make a perfect synergy

I (and my friends as well) have lots of trouble playing single-player on my ipod/iphone 4,4s or older… it seems to be too much to load and ends in a crash 4 of 5 times.

Maybe Warchest can inform us about other ways to play Rad Soldiers on Computer[if there are], I heard about an iOS- emulator [as I heard it works like a mix of Gameboy-emulator and the developers-kit]

ith friendly regards
tinker

(Nail) #12

play on Chrome tinker, afaik your account is the same, everything should transfer

(Silvanoshi) #13

Yup, progress will still be saved across both games to one account, that won’t be changing any time soon.

As for new missions…if there were any in the works, it’d certainly be too early to start talking about them now.
With regards to the loading issues that you’re having. Do you have a weak internet signal at the time that this occurs?

Other ways to play RAD on PC. I’m afraid that we don’t officially support any kind of iOS simulation for playing our games. There are far too many dodgy claims surrounding that. Apple wouldn’t be particularly happy about something like that either ;).

(tinker) #14

I checked the connection many times.
at home I do have a very very weak signal @ slow internet
but I tried it with high-speed and its the same
seems to be too much for the ipod and iphone

• not the first and not the only game that crashes from time to time
    I just wonder why other games (online-fps like Respawnables) that probably have more loading content seem to crash less and last longer before they crash

(Silvanoshi) #15

[QUOTE=tinker;511971]I checked the connection many times.
at home I do have a very very weak signal @ slow internet
but I tried it with high-speed and its the same
seems to be too much for the ipod and iphone

• not the first and not the only game that crashes from time to time
    I just wonder why other games (online-fps like Respawnables) that probably have more loading content seem to crash less and last longer before they crash[/QUOTE]

Out of interest, is your phone’s memory almost full?

(Silvanoshi) #16

UPDATE:
Hello everyone,

With the release of OS X 10.10; the aforementioned Chrome/Unity compatibility issues mean that RAD Soldiers does not work on 10.10. Unfortunately, this is not something that we will be able to address as it’s a core technology issue.

(g00n) #17

Im just downloading it now, well I hope Devs find alternatives that will see game going on in future. Problem with computers They never stay the same “technology Bah!” {rolls eyes}

(tinker) #18

[QUOTE=Silvanoshi;512562]UPDATE:
Hello everyone,

With the release of OS X 10.10; the aforementioned Chrome/Unity compatibility issues mean that RAD Soldiers does not work on 10.10. Unfortunately, this is not something that we will be able to address as it’s a core technology issue.[/QUOTE]

sorry… but …

apple is releasing OS X 10.10 for Mac

so, Rad Soldiers no longer works on the MAC version of Chrome ?

so far has nothing to do with windows chrome-version and nothing with ipod/ipad/iphone version

did I get this right??

Out of interest, is your phone’s memory almost full?

depends on how “almost full” is defined

by percentage of free/maximum, yes, I have about 3% space left

but 1GB should actually be enough for a game

But I actually tried to play the game with almost 100% clear, and it did not change a bit.

Gamecenter is a huge problem, sometimes it does not allow me to log in at all, and even if I can, it still causes many lags and often crashes the game
but even If I come past the game center, I have less than 4 mins before a crash

(g00n) #19

I just finished installing Yosamite, Testing RAD and seems to be fine so far?

(Silvanoshi) #20

@tinker

Is your phone overheating? That behaviour is really rather odd.

@g00n

Interesting, do you know the specifications of the computer that you’re using by any chance? Also, which version of Chrome are you running?