Can't log in: password incorrect. Am I doind something wrong?

(MaxiM) #1

Hey guys,

The title says it all, really. Haven’t played this game for years and decided to go back and see how things are these days - got a little craving for QW. I can log in just fine to my account management, but in the game I cannot. I tried changing the password in AM, but still can’t log in game. Am I missing something? Don’t remember if there was any sort of secondary password for the game itself or not. Tried the reset password option, but it just gives me unknown error and creating new account doesn’t help since “user already exists”.

Any help?

(REA987) #2

You use license code to create an online account. If you have already created an online account before, enter your username and password. If not, create an online account. Password reset option wasn’t working months ago, I didn’t try it recently. You can simply create a new online account with license code.

(MaxiM) #3

So my only option is to abandon my original account that I have created in 2007 and make a new one using the same license key? Won’t the license be “already in use” if I try to do that? I’m trying to log-in using the same user/pass that I’ve been using for years on splashdamage.com and in QW, then Brink I believe.

(REA987) #4

You can create hundreds of online accounts from the same license code; but they cannot be used at the same time. Well, I experienced a weird login error on Mac despite the fact my user name and password were correct. Follow these steps:

1. Delete following two directories:
- %USERPROFILE%\Documents\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\
- %LOCALAPPDATA%\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\
  1. Update the game into latest version:

https://www.ausgamers.com/files/download/35915/enemy-territory-quake-wars-patch-v15

1. Restart PC.

Then try to login with your existing online account.

(MaxiM) #5

I’ll give this a shot. My game is updated ofc.

EDIT: Well, that didn’t work. Had to create a new account but I still want to get my old one back, with all the stats, achievements, etc. If anybody has any idea how to retrieve the password or something along those lines, please let me know!

EDIT 2: Crisis averted. After creating a new account I have realized that SD/WC account is not the same as the in-game account - something that I have suspected in the beginning. Played a little guessing game with the login and password and surprisingly, after nearly 10 years I was still able to remember it. Weirdly enough, I don’t see my stats like they were wiped. Are they even tracked anymore?

(REA987) #6

As ranked mode was shut down, stats are gone, achievements might be still there but I’m not sure. User ranks remained but cannot be improved though.

(MaxiM) #7

Ah, gotcha. Should have expected the ranked system is gone by now, but was hoping for the stats to be saved on my account. In the end I’m just happy to see the game still somewhat alive. EA would have killed it good 5 years ago ;]

(Nerwitz) #8

To hell with leaderboard bs… On to get back into the meat grinder too. Makron for the lord!

(MaxiM) #9

I didn’t really care for leaderboards and stuff like that, just like to keep track os some of my stats for myself. Also, coming back many, many years later it would be nice to see how I was doing back then. It’s a shame that stats are not saved on your account but a defunct stat server somewhere instead.

(Nerwitz) #10

Tremendous horse crap the way SD managed to design the game services yeah, instead may be on 2 servers each for stat DB (along master-server) and log-in data. Things did go like that then, too complex network design mhhghmm

(MaxiM) #11

It is a bummer. Not even my achievements were saved, so right now I have absolutely no way to peek at my QW past :frowning:

(REA987) #12

Don’t you have your rank insignia visible in the scoreboard while in an online game?

(MaxiM) #13

Well I just checked it and nope, for some reason I don’t and I know that I’ve played at least 300-500 hours on ranked servers. That sux, seems like everything about my account was wiped :frowning:

(REA987) #14

Well, as you can see, some of the players have their rank insignia next to their names:

Are you sure this is the same account that you played in ranked mode? By the way, those ranks could be earned only in ranked servers, maybe you played only in unranked servers.

(MaxiM) #15

As I’ve said above, I have ONLY played on ranked. As for the account, not I’m unsure. I don’t remember creating more than one account for QW, but then again, that was so many years ago…

(MaxiM) #16

Well, I have now absolutely confirmed that I was only using the account that I have managed to “guess” the login data for. Found old profile/config folders and files back from august 2008 (guess that’s when I stopped playing) and the profile folder name matches the login that I’m currently using. I definitely had a rank too as I’ve said, although not too high it seems (but the screenshot might be from some early matches, I have no clue):

So somehow my actual main account stats got COMPLETELY wiped :frowning:

(REA987) #17

I hardly think Splash Damage aimed to design the games online services as it was; it should be Actvision’s doing. Developers usually want their game to be played as much as possible whereas publishers absolutely want games to go obscurity when their financial viability is over, so players keep buying new games. In fact, Splash Damage never owned an IP until Dirty Bomb, so that claim is a bit irrelevant.

[QUOTE=MaxiM;571799]Well, I have now absolutely confirmed that I was only using the account that I have managed to “guess” the login data for. Found old profile/config folders and files back from august 2008 (guess that’s when I stopped playing) and the profile folder name matches the login that I’m currently using.

So somehow my actual main account stats got COMPLETELY wiped :([/QUOTE]

As I never played the game while the rank mode was online, I have no clue. But seeing some players retain their ranks while yours is gone is quite odd.

(MaxiM) #18

I will have to test it further, as apparently when I’m playing with bots I can see my rank just fine (same as the screenshot - was hoping it was a tad higher) :slight_smile:

EDIT: haha, never mind. Didn’t remember that in the singleplayer you’re awarded with faux ranks, so that’s not it. Oh well…