Canal [Final suggestions]

(.Chris.) #1

Canal

Introduction

After successfully destroying one of the Strogg’s main facilities in the region GDF forces have learned a high ranking Data Brain is currently in temporary storage on the other side of the city. It’s believed the data Brain contains information on the where abouts of the Strogg’s off shore stroyent production facilities that have thus far been undetected. GDF must find a way to retrieve the Data Brain and transmit it’s valuable information back to HQ.

Screenshots

Current Version

Beta 3 available from here.

Canal Needs You!

What I’m after is some suggestions for the map in order to finally make it final. I think there is room for improvement on sections of the map so be good to hear what folk think so I can make it happen.

So yeah, post your ideas, the best suggestion will win a genuine pair of Chris’ worn mapping socks. (UK entries only)

(light_sh4v0r) #2

I find the final transmit building a little too cramped usually. It always ends with a spammy clusterphuk on the different stairways and usually the winner is the team with the most grenades tossed.

Also maybe another entrance into the pickup building, usually people only take the front door (GDF) and sometimes the boat route, but strogg really only have to watch the front entrance when they have some mines up at the back.

edit: oh and the map is awesome :smiley:

(Scrupus) #3

Oh dear, who can resist this challenge when it got such an exotic prize - but so unfair to limit it for brits only! :tongue:

ROFL :smiley:

(Apples) #4

Maybe a ladder on the final side entrance would be easier point of acces, I might be a newb but I find it sometime hard to climb all the crates to the window.

(CleaverDancer) #5

very cool idea, reminds me a little of the canal zone map from QWTF (in that it is also a canal…hmmm… okay the reference is a stretch)
dusts off Quake Wars copy

(Ashog) #6
  1. add a platypus to an underground tunnel between construct and capturable spawn for 2nd obj. There is a duct from the hog spawn area that leads to the canal but no platypus there, so the swim is long
  2. add a ladder to the water area after the 2nd obj capturable spawn is captured (there where one has to swim to the back entrance). Once in water there’s no way back now
  3. same place as above but prolong the ramp quite a bit further into the tunnel to back entrance of 2nd obj - swimming there makes you undefendable. Leave only a 5-10 meter gap between ramp and the back entrance to swim in, so one can throw grenades and make a stand on that ramp against camping strogg
  4. remove stroggish obstructions on the wall inside the 2nd objective building corridors. One bumps into them all the time while running with obj in a hurry
  5. flatten or submerge the brain podest in order to be able to grab brain w/o fails from the first time
  6. place a low damage auto-turret in the pathway from last strogg base spawn to the 3rd obj building to make gdf spawn-camping less favourable (but still possible)
  7. I would add a slightly bigger window open on the back side of transmit building 2nd floor which faces strogg base (where teleport balcony is) in order to make last second returns possible while throwing grenades inside or shooting RL (like now on ATW3). History tells that once GDF overtake the transmit house, in 90% of cases strogg can’t save game anymore
  8. make better ramps near 1st obj to make platypuses flying onto the road possible (w/o severe damage to them)
    9)place a dillo with 40 s spawntime near the 1st obj gdf capturable spawn
  9. place 1-2 icari to the 1st obj strogg spawn (currently quite a long run for strogg if all team is dead, to stop construct). They must have a chance to do it, maybe 1 icarus is enough
  10. add more trees/grass along the streets or vines on buildings. It looks currently a bit too bricky/lifeless to my taste. Though the places where there is already some grass are ok.

the rest is (esp. gameplay) pretty much great already

PS. oh, add a small failroom

(light_sh4v0r) #7

Ashog is aiming for the socks!

(.Chris.) #8
  1. There is already a platypus when you construct next to all the road vehicles in the water, this is enough, putting another one in the tunnel will block the first one.

2. Yeah.

3. Huh?

4. I’ll clip them so you don’t get stuck.

5. All you need to do is jump onto it.

6. Like brinstar ones?

7. Shouldn’t that be the case though? Strogg have many times before managed to recover from a GDF overrun anyway.

8. Maybe.

9. Yeah.

10. Not possible, too many invisible walls on top of the buildings.

11. Will see.

(Susefreak) #9

Maybe a strogg defence turret at the strogg main spawn?

(Ashog) #10
  1. There is already a platypus when you construct next to all the road vehicles in the water, this is enough, putting another one in the tunnel will block the first one.

But this platypus is really needed! One can place it easily into the side tunnel, see the pic 1

1. Yeah.

Thanks :slight_smile: better put even 2 ladders on each side (see pic 2)

1. Huh?

see pic 3

1. I’ll clip them so you don’t get stuck.

Thanksman!

1. All you need to do is jump onto it.

Well if it’s too difficult then it’s okay i guess.

1. Like brinstar ones?

Yeah, but lower range (see pic 4)

1. Shouldn’t that be the case though? Strogg have many times before managed to recover from a GDF overrun anyway.

Not that I remember. Also, the window could be very small, so uberpro grenade / rl skills will be needed. Similar to the Base map plant window above tunnel on the objective right from GDF spawn. See pic 5.

(Ashog) #11
  1. Maybe.

Wasnt it originally your idea? :slight_smile:

1. Yeah.

Great!

1. Not possible, too many invisible walls on top of the buildings.

there are no buildings with inv. walls in that area - I see no problem at all tbh. (pic 1)

Also remembered some other things:

1. A glitch with the road texture that i always have on 1680x1050 - the part of the road becomes semi-transparent or something (dont have actual screenie now), see pic 2

2. widen the wall near canal to make a second covert pathway for dillo feasible (pic 3)

3. make a wider shield for dessie when it falls into water (pic 4)

4. turn dessie and its barrier 180 degrees around as it is currently annoying to have to make 180 degree turnarounds each time. Also add a second low damage spawn turret for strogg on top of base (pic 5)

Pfff… 40 min of life slashed for this. Also I hate MS paint :slight_smile:

(Violator) #12

Would be nice to do something about the 180’ turn you have to do from the strogg spawn on 2nd obj:

(hates the new attachment uploader btw :mad:)

(Ashog) #13

I got so used to this 180 turn that I do it automatically. I even get confused on Actifail where spawn looks similar but no 180 deg turn :slight_smile: I often jump down there, turn around and bump into the wall with my head :smiley:

Chris, what about putting in the bot support? Don surely could help you with advices.

(Donnovan) #14

HAHA! I need source to put bots! Source! Source!

(Donnovan) #15

I talked to Chris. No bots on Canal.

Why the heck you want bots on Canal, crazy dude Ashog?

(Ashog) #16

so that you can’t say that your maps are better :stuck_out_tongue:

(matsy) #17

Love the map, reminds me of Venice which has to be my favrioute custom map in ET and then it’s the powerball version anyway!

I’m retarded like apples and I find it hard to jump on the box’s to get to the last objective. ( I also have this problem on the first stage of Wake inside the building to get up to an upper level.)

First objective, a possible side objective for the strogg to build a barrier in the canal which the allies (wtf am I saying, GDF) can destroy to use that route. I also thought of possibly being able to destroy one of the wood things so they can use it as more of a ramp on to it. Anyway these probably involve more work than you would like to do…

Possibly making the canal section more varied as at the moment it just the wooden things, maybe having a few broken ones which can be used as jumps or some sunken ships or something in and around.

(Ashog) #18

apples is just alwayz high or drunk :slight_smile:

(yeah I know you didn’t mean it)

but still :smiley:

It’s always fun 2 tbag gayples, especially on canal!

(Apples) #19

[QUOTE=brutt01d;375352]apples is just alwayz high or drunk :slight_smile:

(yeah I know you didn’t mean it)

but still :smiley:

It’s always fun 2 tbag gayples, especially on canal![/QUOTE]

I’m friggun rich nao, mouse en route and expect me on soon :wink:

(hozz) #20

Maybe instead of the 3 (4?) box jumps (which are a bit of a slow down in gameplay, as you have to concentrate and could not fight Strogg in that room at the same time) something with a small ramp which lets you jump right on top of the boxes (so one more easy jump/small ledge and you are in the building).

I think it will play more “dynamic” and just faster. Multiple GDF could make quick attacks there and surprise the Strogg, too. Right now, if a Strogg is in that room, it does not really make sense to try and jump all those boxes, it takes too long.
If the ramp shows into “Strogg direction” (south i think) this might also give Strogg an additional quickly usable emergency entrance to prevent transmits (again, jumping all those boxes just takes too long for that).

Finally, ETQW ramp jump mechanics are just fun:)