Brink Novel: Is there one in the works?

(RabidAnubis) #41

Pretty good! I think that it shows deception in the ark.

I think you should have made it just a tad more clear the person was female. Other then that, it was awesome.

Perhaps I should start a log of all the stories? Try to tie them together in one place?

(wolfnemesis75) #42

[QUOTE=RabidAnubis;367716]Pretty good! I think that it shows deception in the ark.

I think you should have made it just a tad more clear the person was female. Other then that, it was awesome.

Perhaps I should start a log of all the stories? Try to tie them together in one place?[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha. I went running, and was like, shoot, someone might mistake the first-person narrator. Ha ha. I will add a line. :slight_smile:

(RabidAnubis) #43

Smart idea.

What should I name the collection thread?

(wolfnemesis75) #44

Brink Fan Fiction: Ark Journal
Something like that maybe. Maybe just Brink Fan Fiction. Or just keep posting stuff here. Might be the best. I don’t know. :slight_smile:

(Sandman77) #45

Some really good stuff here, Im itching to write something as well now…

(RabidAnubis) #46

Okay, I’m setting one up tomorrow.

(RabidAnubis) #47

Wolf, I’m about to write my second part but I can’t voice act. Is there someone who can on the forum? Greatly appreciated.

(.FROST.) #48

A couple more, more or less tight sketches/layouts. Tomorrow I’ll take the layout at the bottom to work and xerox it there. Then I’ll print out the blown up version(~150% or more) of it. I’ll then trace it on my light-box and draw a very tight pencil image over the traced layout outlines.
I had liked to do this today, but I have no xerox machine at home.

Guys cowering corwardish on the side of the gate and behind it, while the brave girls allready getting nades thrown at them. One of the guys is at eye-level with the nurse and the other one behind the gate is a little left from the nurses hand. Hard to spot if you don’t know it. The other two are clear I think. The one thing in the bottom left corner is the new UAV.

(wolfnemesis75) #49

Too bad you got no scanner and Photoshop. Eliminates the xerox re-size step. :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #50

It wouldn’t help, since I couldn’t print it out that big. Maybe two sheets of paper and then stick them together, that would be an option. But the ink in my freakin scanner-print-thing dried out. I don’t use it very often since I get it for free at work.

(wolfnemesis75) #51

I know what you are saying about the ink. My wife uses it all up on various worthless crap. :frowning:

Work is best for free prints. and xerox. and pencils. :smiley:

(.FROST.) #52

So, since I hadn’t much time to pencil it took me quite long to get to this state. Its still only pencil and I had to ink it now. But before that I want to add some further details. I feared if I wait any longer there won’t be anyone left to show it to. So I post this premature Image and a sketch-portrait of Frosty the man himself with a little BRINK overhaul.

(.FROST.) #53

(VG_JUNKY) #54

love ur work frost :slight_smile:
too bad none of this is going anywhere :frowning:
thx for the detail u put into the latest CCity pic :cool: it almost looks like the real thing…
r u sure ur not apart of the SD art team? :tongue:

(.FROST.) #55

[QUOTE=VG_JUNKY;378749]love ur work frost :slight_smile:
too bad none of this is going anywhere :frowning:
thx for the detail u put into the latest CCity pic :cool: it almost looks like the real thing…
r u sure ur not apart of the SD art team? :tongue:[/QUOTE]

At first, thank you. Can’t hear that too often. :slight_smile:

Second, yeah I feared so, but nevertheless, after I’m done with inking the image I’ll start penciling a little BRINK comic as I had announced it previously. It’s gonna be short but at least 3-5 pages. I allready have a story. It will take place in CC since this is my favorite map. The main protagonist will be from the Security and it will be a personal take on the actual CC mission. Even if there is no one left to read it I’ll have something solid for my portfolio.

And third
Quote: VG_JUNKY…are you sure…?

I know how you meant it, but actually, that would be nice. I draw and pencil for so long now, but I haven’t worked anywhere near that field. The fact that I’m a little reluctant to work digitaly doesn’t make things easier. I really love digital 2D and 3D art as well as stuff done in the old fashioned way, but somehow I prefer for myself to work “analog”. I like the tactile connection to the art-board. Though soon I’ll order myself a wacom board in order to color my drawings.

(tokamak) #56

With one being greyer than the other. Those maniacs blew up a reactor.

Frost are you familiar with this guy?

//youtu.be/H0LCP43np5Y

(.FROST.) #57

@ tokamak

No, didn’t knew him. But he seems to be the Bob Ross of Photoshop. :slight_smile: No, really, very impressive. The result and the time it takes him to get there gives him right, but I just couldn’t work that way. Even digi-coloring my own pencil drawings is quite annoying for me. Even if the result looks good.

For me it’s not only about the result, but also about to master the media I’m working with. That’s the biggest difference between digital and analog art. Working with wet colors(oils, ink, gouache) is very hard. And it takes you a great while to have some kind of controll over them, whereas if you work digital you don’t have to worry about your paper or if the colors wash together or if you screw up an ink-line.

And then there are those master painters like Gil Elvgren, Alex Ross, Rembrandt, Rockwell, J.C. Leyendecker, Drew Struzan, Syd Mead and so on. And master penciller like Greg Capullo, John Byrne, Walter Simonson and Jean Giraud. Though I won’t ever be just remotely near their level I want at least to live in their world. And holding a real brush(“Winsor Newton series 7”, by the way) in my hands makes it a lot easier to have that illusion.

But I don’t want to sound like an angry old man, since I ain’t one. And I certainly don’t want to put anything down either, I really love digi art, otherwise I wouldn’t fell so much for computer games. I allready see myself walking around in ID’s upcoming Rage, just watching those beautiful rock-textures. I’m a nut for sharp textures.

(tokamak) #58

I’ve had that exact discussion with the coordinator of an art academy I’ve been running courses on. She came to me during the break after my presentation on digital art (was quite a while ago so even the teachers weren’t then familiar with the possibilities) and she really wanted to stress the important of the ‘real deal’ getting down and dirty with materials rather than the sterile environment of a computer.

And I agree with her. I’m currently working with oil paint and Tully’s sculpts made me order some clay. At high school I made my teacher despair over the amount of paint I was throwing on my tributes to Van Gogh to get the same effect (he still gave me an 9 for the exam works). In the end I think both digital and analog mediums can be combined. Analog sketching, scanning into pc, refining the lines, then depending on the subject it can be coloured with paint or with a pc. I guess that gives the best effect.

I do love this guys ease with concept art though. That’s exactly the finish that would be sufficient for a graphic novel (another ambition of mine).

(.FROST.) #59

His style/approach is perfect for concept art, but as a graphic novel there would be too much detail in it. I have literally thousands of comics and I’ve seen probably every style there is. And after all those years of skimming through hyper colored and overly textured comics I can say in all honesty that flat coloring is the best way to tell a story. Assuming the underlaying inked pencils are good. It doesn’t have to be entirely flat, but some guys put highlights on every wrinkle, and I don’t wanna draw lines here, but that’s graffiti, not comic. Storytelling wise, the drawing and coloring of “100 Bullets” is perfect. There are “prettier” pencillers out there than Eduardo Risso, but they aren’t necessarily the better storytellers. They are good illustrators und pin-up artists, like Stephen Platt for example, but their art tend to be stiff and overrendered. Though overrendering can be good in an illustration or a pin up since you can allways discover something new on a relativelly small space. But in a graphic novel you have an entire book to fill.

(tokamak) #60

He isn’t particularly detailed though. One frame for example could be a cropped shot of that bus.

This is exactly the right amount of detail for a situational action shot in a graphic novel. Clear but still leaves enough to the imagination.