Brink Novel: Is there one in the works?

(zenstar) #21

Simple solution: every novel comes out in 2 “flavors”: Security and resistance, telling the story from 2 different points of view the same way the game does :slight_smile:

Authors might find this suggestion crazy but it’d be an awesome read.

(Unfurl3dRelic) #22

That, or you can make a novel where each chapter switches views from a Resistance to Security every other chapter.

(zenstar) #23

You speak madness!
(But your idea is probably far more feasable than mine).

Would love a collection of short stories set in the Brink universe. Similar to the hellboy short story collections.

(.FROST.) #24

After I’ve finished my illustration I’d like to make a little short-story(3-5 pages), just for show. But I’m not very good in inventing Stories. It would be great if SD would release a page of official plot to outline a story. Like the first chapter of an actual comic. If they like it(the drawn chapter) I’d like to do the whole thing. This would be a relatively cheap way to show/explain/further invest/embellish the situation on the Arc.
I mean with women, kids, the Founders, the daily routine. Maybe some back story, flashbacks(Chen’s little brother) etc…

Its really something I’d like to do. Since I’m very used to draw/paint “realistic” I have to find my/Brink’s style. But I’m working on it and I’m sure I could handle it.

And since its quite unprobable that SD will actually release a Plot outline, I’d also work with a plot from you guys here in the forum. If I like it!!. Otherwise I’ll make up a story myself.

(RabidAnubis) #25

Looks sexy… but does she have any underwear on?

And I think the community should start pumping out stories Dwarf Fortress style. Or we could try to do audio logs?

Maybe it could be the story of two brothers. The older one is sort of protective of his younger, but he is close to a genius, he was bigger and more muscular, but the little brother is faster. Maybe from running away from his big brother when they got into a fight. The older brother developed the Ipad with the applications (Ihack!) and stuff. The older brother was almost always BETTER, but he was modest about it. When he was invited over to the college on the other side of the Ark, he was honestly surprised, but no one else was. The younger brother spent most of his time feeling inferior, but was always happy when his brother came down to the lower ark for a birthday or something. The older brother handed a version of his ipad over to Mr. Chen (War hadn’t started yet), but Chen complains that the resources used to make it are too much. The smaller brother takes the challenge of making it cheaper, and succeeds. This starts a rivalry, which only gets worse when the older brother joins security because they needed an engineer. The younger brother joins the resistance. It goes from there.

Just an idea that could portray both sides in a more emotional way. I probably picked them to be rival engineers because that is what I play as, but it could fit for anything.

(.FROST.) #26

I don’t know if the I-pod part is really necessary, but telling a story through two brothers is good. But in my opinion it would make more sense if the weaker sibling would join the Sec, since that would imediatelly put him in a position of power. Something he probably missed as a kid and as a teen. And it would be very important too, that not only Sec and Res in whole are portrait as grey instead of black and white, but that in within the factions everyone has his personal agenda to join them in the first place. There should be “good” Secs and “bad” Res and also bad Secs and good Res. Brink has the potential of an epic story but the game only scratches the surface. I prefer that over over explaining Stories, but Brink could have told a little more backstory and daily life or shown us the 3rd, unseen faction, the founders.

(Bongoboy) #27

Hi there wolfnemesis,

Firstly, thanks for taking such an interest in Brink’s backstory. It’s very cool you like the Ark’s world, and are curious about reading more about it.

It’s really down to Bethesda what else happens with the Brink universe. At the moment, I don’t know of any plans for a novelization or graphic novel or anything similar.

Cheers,

E

(wolfnemesis75) #28

[QUOTE=Bongoboy;367220]Hi there wolfnemesis,

Firstly, thanks for taking such an interest in Brink’s backstory. It’s very cool you like the Ark’s world, and are curious about reading more about it.

It’s really down to Bethesda what else happens with the Brink universe. At the moment, I don’t know of any plans for a novelization or graphic novel or anything similar.

Cheers,

E[/QUOTE]

Ok. We’ll just have to knock on Bethesda’s door if the ball’s in their court. I think lots of people would be interested, not just me! A lot of times these kinds of things get the ball rolling when there’s some interest. I play with lots of folk on xbox and we’ve had long conversations about the story in Brink while we’re playing.

Thanks for the response, brother! :slight_smile:

(Spendlove) #29

Put me down for a vote +1. I love the audiologs for the Security soldier. Great back story that is very, very believable.

(Dormamu) #30

We know… “Bethesda Softworks canceled the 32-pagecomic book they were planning on having with their upcoming game Brink.”
Why Bethesda, why?

(.FROST.) #31

Don’t wanna sound like an a-hole, but I promise you guys, I’ll come up with something they would have approved. Something more brinkish. Meaning less slick, more dirt, more wrinkles, bigger weapons, more bada$$. I’ve taken my mouth quite full now, but I’m quite confident. If I’m wrong, you can troll me to death:wink:

(RabidAnubis) #32

Well, I was thinking about the older brother being the pacifist, but I see where you are going.

(Spendlove) #33

I look forward to it Frost. Unfortunately for me, my two year old can draw better than I can.

Any drama students/actors out there fancy doing some audio logs or Blair Witch style video docs?

(RabidAnubis) #34

I’m a little nerdy teenage male so I don’t think the acting part is necessary. XD

(zenstar) #35

You just need to film someone playing on their iphone while standing next to a computer and you can claim they’re an operative :stuck_out_tongue:

(RabidAnubis) #36

Lol.

I know?

Who the hell made the iHack application?

(RabidAnubis) #37

Hey, wolf, I want to know if you like this. As he gets older the story will get more grim and real, just as the world does to someone growing up.

[I]“The Upper Ark, the Lower Ark”, that was just a bunch of bull**** that people decided to call them to avoid being the stereotypical bastards they really are. What they really should call them, is something more along the lines of, “A bunch of Republicans who don’t give a damn about anyone else.” and “A bunch of lazy bastards who really should try getting into ****ing college if they want something.” Your wondering who I am to be telling you this? Do I deserve the opinion? I don’t know. But perhaps it would be best for me to tell you what I have been through, and let you be the judge.

You see, when I was growing up I was always in the position of being unwanted. My big brother was what you could call ‘the pride’ of our family. He was bigger, stronger, smarter, maybe the only things I were better than him at were being creative and running faster, but I probably learned to run from trying to get away from him when he was angry at me. Me and my brother, well, at times we were best friends, at other times total rivals…

We lived in the lower ark, where the scum of society lives. It’s not that we were bad people, just that everyone was uneducated. Rather than recycling everything, a lot of the time when we were done with it we just threw it in the trash, which was also known as a secluded ally.

Now, my father was what most people would call a pacifist. He was on a ship from land, which is some sort of mythical place that all the adults talk about as if it was some sort of heaven on earth type of deal. He was the type of man the Ark needed for a leader. Uncorrupted, honest, and certainly not some politician who tries to backstab their best friend for a dollar. Do you know what he did for my ninth birthday? Dad stored up energy when the power was on in an old car battery, and then proceeded to show us a movie on a projector that was on his ship when he tried to get to the ark. Sure, watching a movie on a rusted, folded crate was horrible, even when covered with all of our clothes, but for me it was something magical, but for my brother, it was something inspirational.

My brother decided to try setting up better acoustics, by rearranging walls, and on his eleventh birthday he had set up half of our crate as a mini-theater. I think that was the moment when all of my families hoped poured into him. He was only eleven and had yet rearranged scraps to make something fantastic! The twenty people that were in that crowded room were amazed asking him for favors for a small amount of payment, which he accepted. He never showed off on purpose of course… it just seemed to happen a lot. And he did always give credits to me for my help in small places, but he’d never admit that he had obviously done most of the work.[/I]

Also, Frost, and others, lend your criticism to me. I need to hear it. I may turn this into an audio log, but I don’t know how good I am at voice acting.

(wolfnemesis75) #38

I like it. It has a real quality to it and some genuine anger. You could do audio logs with audacity or something. And save it as a wave or audio file? Not sure. But, I love the audio files in Brink. Good job. If I have time, maybe I will write a short audio of someone coming to the Ark for the first time. Such a cool depth possible. :slight_smile:

(RabidAnubis) #39

Well, I need someone to write up the older brother’s side of the story.

The reason why it probably sounds honest is because I’ve been in that position before… so it isn’t hard for me to imagine it…

(wolfnemesis75) #40

Here’s what I wrote up that’s been a backstory I have thought about when playing.

Ellie Wolfe
Daughter of Lt. M.D. Andre Wolfe.
Ark Born

Journal Entry 15
Before Dawn

[I]"Everything changed the day I met Ivan. That’s when life on the Ark went to hell in a handbag. Until then, my life was the perfect ideal and full of the naiveté only the young starry-eyed idealist has underneath the Ark stars. Provincial is not a word I care to use to describe myself. But, it’s a reflection of my upbringing.

To be fair, I was ignorant of life beyond the Security Wall. Life in the guest pelgos was as alien to me as life off-Ark. I had lived my short life as an Ark-born citizen. Sure, I’ve learned of the outside world, or what it once was from my parents, both up-standing and high ranking members of the original Founders. What I knew of the Ark was what I learned from them, and my friends at the Academy in the Upper Ark.

A trip to the Shipyards, and a chance encounter with a quiet dockworker…changed everything. Such ferocity, and passion…it was love. We kept it a secret. Until the war started. The Security Prison where my father paid visits to the inmates in the rehabilitation process had been breached.

There was blood…and it was on my father’s hands. Ivan had grown distant, and I suspected that he was part of this attack. I love him. The Ark is my home, I do not desire to see it harmed, or anyone.

And now torn apart, I must face the cruel reality of chance fate. I demanded that Ivan tell me of his plans. But he would not share them. Until I admitted to the truth of Ark or saw the Ark as what it really was: a dying place. Once I was shown the truth, he’d share his heart and all of his plans with me. So I conceded, although there was very real danger for me to be caught beyond The Wall.

He had tried to tell me many times of life in the Pelgos, but I could not believe that it was not the place described by my teachers. By my family. Or about people dying there. My father said that it was a Resistance movement that was causing the problems and the death of innocent life.

So one night, Ivan took me there, under the cover of night. Despite the blackness of the Ark in the lower region, it was not hard to see the hardship and sickness. In all its cruelty. Such pain and fear. Such despair. I told him that I would go to my father. He would get the Founders to see reason. Ivan only laughed. I could see such pain in his eyes, and it tore at my soul. He told me that they had a plan, that there would be a place somewhere for us off the Ark. A better world for all. And he told me the plan, and made me swear with all my heart that I’d keep it a secret.

I could not bear losing him or my home. It’s all I’ve ever known…so I went to the only one I trusted for help. My father. I told him what Ivan had planned. My father told me it would be alright. And that I did the right thing telling him and that he would work with the council to find a solution.

I have not heard from Ivan in almost a month. I’ve tried to contact him the secret ways that we would when our love was young. When it was so alive. But now, I am worried. We’ve never been apart since that first night we met under the Ark stars. I wait for him each night in our old meeting place. Near the docks. When the gunfire rings out in the distance, I wait, hiding in a shallow wall covered in graffiti. Our initials lay beneath in a secret place. It is all I have now. This place. Near Container City. That is my fear. And my punishment."[/I]

~E. Wolfe