Brink Novel: Is there one in the works?

(VG_JUNKY) #61

Frost i think u’d make a great concept artist, just give urself a chance & u may get places. :wink:
concept artists dont need to be ALL fancy, they just need to get there idea’s across :smiley:

PS plz finish this comic ( ive seen so many Brink comics started, but nvr finished ) :slight_smile:

(wolfnemesis75) #62

[QUOTE=tokamak;378867]I’ve had that exact discussion with the coordinator of an art academy I’ve been running courses on. She came to me during the break after my presentation on digital art (was quite a while ago so even the teachers weren’t then familiar with the possibilities) and she really wanted to stress the important of the ‘real deal’ getting down and dirty with materials rather than the sterile environment of a computer.

And I agree with her. I’m currently working with oil paint and Tully’s sculpts made me order some clay. At high school I made my teacher despair over the amount of paint I was throwing on my tributes to Van Gogh to get the same effect (he still gave me an 9 for the exam works). In the end I think both digital and analog mediums can be combined. Analog sketching, scanning into pc, refining the lines, then depending on the subject it can be coloured with paint or with a pc. I guess that gives the best effect.

I do love this guys ease with concept art though. That’s exactly the finish that would be sufficient for a graphic novel (another ambition of mine).[/QUOTE]It is definitely good to be familiar with traditional materials, especially drawing because that’s the key element even in art done on the computer and concept art. The really good concept artists are excellent at drawing and many times spent a lot of time learning how to paint, lighting, etc. I do know some excellent concept artists who jumped right on the computer and went to town with it doing excellent stuff. But its also good if you can combine the two: do your drawing, some of the painting then scan that into the computer and work over that in either photoshop or corel.

(.FROST.) #63

[QUOTE=VG_JUNKY;378883]Frost i think u’d make a great concept artist, just give urself a chance & u may get places. :wink:
concept artists dont need to be ALL fancy, they just need to get there idea’s across :smiley:

PS plz finish this comic ( ive seen so many Brink comics started, but nvr finished ) :)[/QUOTE]

Nah, I allways wanted to be a comic-book artist and I’ll stay with that. I’m not overly imaginativ, but I allways had a great interest in drawing people. I became really crazy with anatomy and stuff. Since over 10 years I haven’t drawn a single fully rendered image wich hadn’t shown at least one person.

And be sure to see this comic, but I can’t tell you the year right now. :wink: No really, I’ll do this and I have to do this since Its important for me to finally draw an actual comic instead of single, independant illustrations.

Where did you saw those comics??

(iezza) #64

Nice comics man, you realy have a talent in drawing!

(VG_JUNKY) #65

Where did you saw thosecomics??

http://www.brinkaddict.com/forum/25-images/2271-comics-featuring-brink

here is a topic that nvr got anywhere
http://www.thebrinkforum.com/index.php?/topic/300-brink-comic-strip/

another 1 that nvr got off the ground

(.FROST.) #66

Don’t wanna keep this thread artificially alive, but I stumbled over this vid on facebook and thought it might add something to the discussion even though its actually a little bit off topic in general. They keep a nice balance between traditional art and professional digital art there at epic. The game(Gears 3) looks just incredibly awesome. Really love the art and all. The gameplay looks a little bit clunky though. On the youtube vids it looks like it’s like playing a Brink-heavy all the time. Even though it makes sense since those guys probably weight 360 pounds with their gear strapped on, but it would would make me crazy to have to play that way all the time. I’d probably play the female. She must be faster and more agile. But I won’t find it out since I don’t own a console. Nevertheless, great video. Very inspiring.

(tokamak) #67

Gears of War plays visceral and intuitive. Don’t let looks deceive you.

Enemy Territory Gears Wars is something I would play good money for.

//youtu.be/2_4P0ioAI7o

(VG_JUNKY) #68

Frost I just wanted to say that even though Brink isnt going anywhere but down, the few of us that will still remain after the nxt update ( probably final update of Brink ) will very much like to see something Brink related, even if its not from the devs.

I think what im trying to say is keep on working on the Comic… NO MATTER HOW FEW PPL ARE LEFT :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #69

[QUOTE=VG_JUNKY;380104]Frost I just wanted to say that even though Brink isnt going anywhere but down, the few of us that will still remain after the nxt update ( probably final update of Brink ) will very much like to see something Brink related, even if its not from the devs.

I think what im trying to say is keep on working on the Comic… NO MATTER HOW FEW PPL ARE LEFT :)[/QUOTE]

Great to hear. And I definitely work on it. Since I allways wanted to do comic stuff instead of single illustrations. I allready have a short, short-story worked out and I don’t bother if there are 2, 200 or 2000 people left to read/view it. I’m doing it mostly for myself BUT with a potential audience in mind. That was allways my approach. The crappy thing in such an laborious task like painting/drawing a comic is, that it takes forever till its done. And since I have a full-time job and a lot of other stuff going on, on a daily basis, it’s even more difficult to get things done. Weeks pass like days and days are passing like hours. I guess you all know what I mean.
Besides, there is this game by the name of BRINK wich doesn’t make things easier.

PS:Just bought me this little toy to color the inked pencils. My daughter allready loves it. For me its the only way to go digital with 2d art. I couldn’t paint by clicking around with a mouse. For 3d a mouse seems more like the proper tool, but not for painting.

(raone32) #70

When I am playing the game I feel that there is enough info to give context to the fight and meaning to the conflict and what we are trying to do. There’s just enough cut-scene to get the blood pumping and a quick one at the end which is cool. There’s only so much character dev you can do in a campaign too before it starts to get in the way of the gameplay action.

roofing contractors

(Sandman77) #71

Keep at it man, great work!

(wolfnemesis75) #72

Yeah, its cool seeing the progress and ideas.

(JackPipsam) #73

I would love to see an official novel of some sorts.

(Slade05) #74

Game novellizations are ****, period.

(DarkangelUK) #75

No they’re not, you’ve just been reading **** ones… or you are **** and are commenting on something you’ve never had experience with, period.

(tokamak) #76

The Starcraft novels are okay.

(Ajax's Spear) #77

I’ll write an example paragraph for it:

“Standing no more than 15 feet away, he fired his Hammerdeim directly at the rebel’s head, but, to his terrible surprise, not a single piece of the shot column connected. The last thing that occurred to him as the distinct sound of an enemy Galactic SMG rattled throughout the disused Airport and his heavy frame was riddled with holes, was that perhaps opting for standardized rifled barrels on shotguns at the last Security convention was not such a hot idea after all, and that he might have been better off not bulking-up for all those months to carry one.”

Pretty good huh? How about this:

"His mission was simple. So simple it was the only thing he could consciously think about. They had finally made a big enough push to break through the gate into the rebel homestead. He was going to guard that Maintenance bot with every fiber of his being. He knew it would be hell, but he had all of the necessary tools ready, and a crack team of other highly skilled engineers flanking him around bot- or so he thought. A well-placed enemy blast from a Lobster devastated the front panel of the Bot, completely destroying several circuit panels, fuel lines, and wheel bearings. The concussion knocked him to the ground about 10 feet from where he was standing. After a half-second of discerning whether or not he was still alive, he rushed to his feet, his mission almost pulling him up from the dead.
He saw every fractured part. His mind raced with the solutions for every problem; what parts he need to pull out of his kit and every tool needed to install each one of them. He knew he couldn’t do it alone, but 2 more men of his talent could get that bot up and moving again in a matter of seconds. He looked around in horror, and saw no one. Not only just no other engineers, but not even a single friendly he could recruit as a second pair of hands. Suddenly Chen’s voice cracked over the radio network:
“They’re taking our command post!” followed almost immediately by,
“They’ve taken our command post!”

Concerned only briefly over what relevance this had to his mission, he returned to work, diligently although frightened for his life in such an open and exposed location. He had about a quarter of his work done when again Chen appeared over the airwaves exclaiming “We’ve captured a command post!” tailed by the unmistakable crack of a Barnett long rifle and the feeling like a truck had just crashed with all of its mass into a ten-inch area on his chest. He had been hit, and he knew he was going to die. As he lay there, looking at his unfinished work being destroyed bit by bit all over again, his vision losing its color and crying out for a medic, the last thing he heard was Chen yet again fretting over the radio “They’re taking our command post!” again, followed only a second later by “They’ve taken our command post!”

He knew now where all of his fellow engineers and medics had been."

I’m sure as long as PC players write it, it will be fine. I hate feeling like I’m reading a console novel that was just ported over to a PC book. SD needs to throw their loyal PC-novel readerplayer base a bone, and forget about all these Johnny-come-lately console readerplayers.

(VG_JUNKY) #78

^hehe i got a good laugh out of that :slight_smile:

I’m sure as long as PC players write it, it will be fine. I hate feeling like I’m reading a console novel that was just ported over to a PC book. SD needs to throw their loyal PC-novel readerplayer base and forget about all these Johnny-come-lately console readerplayers.

I hope u were kidding here :mad: there are many good console guys here… I know it was referring to Brink being a console to pc port, but dont dis the players as a whole :frowning: atleast aim it towards a group of ppl, like CoD campers for example :stuck_out_tongue:

(Ajax's Spear) #79

Yes, I was being facetious. I play(ed) on console myself. Just mimicking the whinier side of the pc players (not all or even most)

(light_sh4v0r) #80

lol, n1 Ajax :slight_smile: