Brink 2

(Loffy) #41

And don’t forget a closed beta test.

(wolfnemesis75) #42

Open Pre-order console Beta please.

(.Chris.) #43

Invite only beta would be best for the actual development stage, open beta for stress tests and such month before release perhaps.

(wolfnemesis75) #44

As long as its tested on Xbox this time. There was a Closed Beta on PS3 but more people bought the game on Xbox. So a better test there would have yielded better feedback for the largest player base. Lesson learned. Epic did a Gears 3 Beta and the game is the best yet.

(ArchdemonXIII) #45

That seems sensible, as long as the majority of invites are to Brink players, with a good spread of W:ET/ETQW sprinkled in, as well as some people that played none of the above.

(Ruben0s) #46

I wonder if the next title of splashdamge will even be released on the pc.

(Oz70NYC) #47

This.

A beta is pretty much ESSENTIAL to the success or failure of a Brink sequel. A lot of us are willing to forgive the mess the 1st game was. But if the sequel isn’t a step in the opposite direction, it’s going to signal bad, BAD things for SD. A beta is such a step. That was they can see where the mess is, and clean it up BEFORE the game hits retail.

(SockDog) #48

Makes no sense to do a Beta on consoles unless it’s just a Demo dressed up as a Beta or some load bearing, backend testing. The PC can have updates pushed daily, as I understand it (I could be wrong) but any console Beta would still need lengthy certification by Sony/MS, just makes no sense to limit your ability to squash bugs or test changes in a timely manner.

(wolfnemesis75) #49

[QUOTE=SockDog;385034]Makes no sense to do a Beta on consoles unless it’s just a Demo dressed up as a Beta or some load bearing, backend testing. The PC can have updates pushed daily, as I understand it (I could be wrong) but any console Beta would still need lengthy certification by Sony/MS, just makes no sense to limit your ability to squash bugs or test changes in a timely manner.[/QUOTE]Gears of War 3 did a Beta on console and made changes during the beta, so the certification process for Xbox doesn’t apply during a beta. And they were able to get tons of feedback, redesigned several levels extensively to fix stuff that was broken.

(.FROST.) #50

MoH, CoD, BF are good looking fps games. BRINK is art. And every child knows, that real art “can’t” be well received initially. Ask Van Gogh, he died not remotely having a clue of how appreciated and expensive his paintings are going to be. So if you happen to see Mr. Wedgewood running around with only one ear left, you know why.

PS: My advice, keep your copy under any circumstances and bequeath it to your grand children, they’ll thank you for it.:smiley:

(wolfnemesis75) #51

[QUOTE=.FROST.;385044]MoH, CoD, BF are good looking fps games. BRINK is art. And every child knows, that real art “can’t” be well received initially. Ask Van Gogh, he died not remotely having a clue of how appreciated and expensive his paintings are going to be. So if you happen to see Mr. Wedgewood running around with only one ear left, you know why.

PS: My advice, keep your copy under any circumstances and bequeath it to your grand children, they’ll thank you for it.:D[/QUOTE]Ha ha. Sweet. Van Gogh used to lick his paint brushes to get a fine point. There’s a whole bunch of lead in Flake White, lol. Enough to make ya a bit strange…
Brink is a strange brew for us strange folk. We fine fellows. :slight_smile:

(Ajax's Spear) #52

There are plenty of games out there that are truly artful, (Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, possibly even the first Bioshock) but while Brink does have some interesting design and a socially conscious backstory, I don’t consider to be “art” on the level of the games I’ve mentioned and others. It’s as much art as Gears of War or other graphically similar games are.

(SockDog) #53

I’m not saying you can’t make changes only that I’d find it difficult to believe MS would circumvent a critical security measure to allow something like nightly updates.

(Metal-Geo) #54

Pretty much, yeah. BRINK is filled with great design. Interiors, exteriors, small objects, big objects, walls, posters, environments… everything. It definitely shows there are some very talented artists at Splash Damage.

To call it art? No, I wouldn’t. But rather, outstandingly creative.

I think if you want to associate art and games, the best directions to look at are games like Rayman Origins and Zelda: The Wind Waker (to name a few). Just like art, these games are timeless.

(.Chris.) #55

Skyward Sword is looking amazing also, Okami was awesome too.

(deems) #56

Haha. Awesome.

(deems) #57

I could be wrong, but I think that there is a sizable crowd of SD fans for whom:

1. The plot basically doesn’t matter.
  2. Customisation of character appearance basically doesn’t matter.
  3. Challenge and long learning curve with rewards for being skilled, and rewards for being strategic are paramount.
  4. Graphics are relatively unimportant (within reason).
  5. User interface is important, with customisation and richness (ie not reduced or limited to be usable with a hand held controller).
  6. Asymmetrical teams, vehicles, and greater variety between class types are missed.

I hope these things can come back to SD’s next title…and I don’t really care about which IP it belongs to. I wish that I thought SD could drop consoles, and just produce a PC game…but I think that’s too much to ask these days. Surely though, there’s a niche for a company that produces PC only team-based / objective shooters?

(.Chris.) #58

My thoughts almost exactly, point 6 isn’t essential for me, I’m happy with either ET or ET:QW setup but yeah, as long as it’s fun it can be part of any IP.

(wolfnemesis75) #59

[QUOTE=deems;385082]I could be wrong, but I think that there is a sizable crowd of SD fans for whom:

1. The plot basically doesn’t matter.
  2. Customisation of character appearance basically doesn’t matter.
  3. Challenge and long learning curve with rewards for being skilled, and rewards for being strategic are paramount.
  4. Graphics are relatively unimportant (within reason).
  5. User interface is important, with customisation and richness (ie not reduced or limited to be usable with a hand held controller).
  6. Asymmetrical teams, vehicles, and greater variety between class types are missed.

I hope these things can come back to SD’s next title…and I don’t really care about which IP it belongs to. I wish that I thought SD could drop consoles, and just produce a PC game…but I think that’s too much to ask these days. Surely though, there’s a niche for a company that produces PC only team-based / objective shooters?[/QUOTE]Interesting. All the maps in Brink are Asymmetrical.

(.Chris.) #60

He said asymmetrical teams not maps. In ET:QW the GDF and Strogg played differently, for example GDF used bullets and had to reload, Strogg used Stroyent (energy) and didn’t need to reload but they could overheat, asymmetry.