BRINK 2, what are your hopes for the future?.

(Darksider) #61

The fact they mentioned that from here on out future projects will be based off the Unreal engine, tells you BRINK is not coming back, maybe in some in some form in their future games. Honestly I think Brink was a hard lesson learned for Splash Damage and one of the reason they did what they did with WARCHEST which will allow them to do their own thing and not fall victim to a Publisher idea of what makes a good game and oblige by them.

(amazinglarry) #62

I guess I’m in the minority when I say I thought and still think Brink was a pretty good game. The only issue I saw is that it was probably released a little too early - too unfinished. I mean, having a map where your sound cuts out entirely for the whole match? Really? Come on now.

I think if they kept Brink in the oven a bit longer, it would have a much firmer foothold in the gaming community. I love the concept as a whole, and it really drew me in, although I can’t say the story really had too much flow with the way it was presented, which is too bad.

In the end, I think a lot of the maps and the game itself has a lot of replayability, especially now that it’s had time to grow up. It’s just too bad the window for new players has closed due to a rocky launch.

Steam’s Free Brink Weekend was a godsend, for that one weekend… I had a ton of fun, but then the tide went back out with it. It’s down to 20 bucks now on Steam which is a good deal, but without a community as active as QW or ET was at this point in their respective lifecycles, I can’t imagine it growing.

That said, I hope to explore more of the Brink universe in the future… no pun intended.

(Darksider) #63

[QUOTE=amazinglarry;398914]I guess I’m in the minority when I say I thought and still think Brink was a pretty good game. The only issue I saw is that it was probably released a little too early - too unfinished. I mean, having a map where your sound cuts out entirely for the whole match? Really? Come on now.

I think if they kept Brink in the oven a bit longer, it would have a much firmer foothold in the gaming community. I love the concept as a whole, and it really drew me in, although I can’t say the story really had too much flow with the way it was presented, which is too bad.

In the end, I think a lot of the maps and the game itself has a lot of replayability, especially now that it’s had time to grow up. It’s just too bad the window for new players has closed due to a rocky launch.

Steam’s Free Brink Weekend was a godsend, for that one weekend… I had a ton of fun, but then the tide went back out with it. It’s down to 20 bucks now on Steam which is a good deal, but without a community as active as QW or ET was at this point in their respective lifecycles, I can’t imagine it growing.

That said, I hope to explore more of the Brink universe in the future… no pun intended.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget they’ve tried the Free Weekend thing twice, both times a lot of people were playing but as soon as the free weekend was over, they failed to keep a active community going, Don’t get me wrong I like Brink, just was too many issues that kept bringing this game back down.

(amazinglarry) #64

I think those issues have been largely resolved, though. i think the reason the free weekends didn’t give it any staying power is because the community was too small to begin with. A lot of people (and I’m just speculating here) like to play with friends, and sure it’s nice for a weekend but without a lot of friends / community established in it, it’s hard to justify investing in it. The first week of release is extremely important for games like this, especially when it’s by and large “new”.

Call of Duty started ‘small’ and gained lots of steam and they just kept pumping them out. Few people knew what Call of Duty was ~8 years ago when it came out but it developed a strong community and they took (way) advantage of it.

I just think a lot of people are wary about investing time and money into things they’re unfamiliar with. Like it or not, CoD is a staple of the FPS genre and a lot of customers are more inclined to spend money on something they know what to expect from.

Of course, I could (and probably am) be just talking out of my ass. My main point I guess is it wasn’t as finished as it could have been on release, and I think that’s mainly what did it in. If the same game today were released a year ago, I think we’d be talking about something else.

(OMGITSJASON) #65

I disagree with some of your points. Brink will never kill Call of Duty. That is coming from a guy who passed on the last 3 CODs. However you do have some good ideas in regards to Brink 2.

(H0RSE) #66

I wouldn’t want Brink to be a COD killer, since that would likely mean many of the playerbase (and possibly mentality) of those games would migrate here. I would rather Brink carve out its own place for gamers who crave something other than the boring, repetitive gameplay of games like COD and Halo.

(ArkRebel) #67

Expectations for Brink 2? That there will be a “Brink 2” at all! Really hope so… (I love BRINK, some Bug-fixes and more maps which continue the story would be the only thing i actually need)

(TruGamer97) #68

[QUOTE=ArkRebel;399788]Expectations for Brink 2? That there will be a “Brink 2” at all! Really hope so… (I love BRINK, some Bug-fixes and more maps which continue the story would be the only thing i actually need)[/QUOTE] For a second there I thought you said no Brink 2 at all. I hope they make a Brink 2 and if they do i’m sure it would be great.

(ArkRebel) #69

Oh, I really want to see Brink 2! Brink is my favourite game of all times so far, and I play since the early 90s…

(AramilSiandol) #70

Ahead warning: --Sorry for my English–
While better optimization, and less problematic launch (which I believe is the main cause of why so many abandoned the game) and different improvements are obvious to be asked for, my main wishes for what I want see in a sequel are and it must have imo:

1. More maps.
  2. larger maps. Or more importantly: maps that are much more open in their design (not “open field” but rather in terms of more open for free running) and more vertical. And please, less invisible walls in places that even I, as a person, can reach.
  3. “Next Gen” for S.M.A.R.T. While it functioned, this system was quite clunky (too often the character did things I never asked for, did nothing when I did asked for and such). I still can’t tell when I’m wall-running or am I just wall-humping and in which direction the character is jumping. While I leave the specifics of what exactly should be changed/removed/improved to the smarter and brighter then me, I still would suggest this thing: having a body. Just look down, and see your chest hands and legs. I will even dare to make the comparison: like in Mirros Edge. I think that the game will benefit from this.
  4. Larger variety in gameplay. This applies to both: more staff to to rather then just run and gun (and PTFO/play your role) and more importantly: more game types.
  5. “Better graphics”. The game looks good, but there are things such as anything beyond 12 meters starts to look blurry etc. Visual related gameplay is the the decision to make your enemies have red aura. I’d rather have “cleaner” game (no auras etc). Last thing regarding visuals I want to mention is the art style: Brink had great art style, but in the gameplay, the game’s visual design itself (mainly maps) looked too “gruntish”, having more “milky-grey/white sterile” art style (just like the background in the main menu) will make the game look better.
  6. My last wish is: better UI. I know that Brink has to deal with a lot of information that must be delivered to the player, better UI is possible. For instance: I almost never use the radar, and only because it’s positioned so badly that I don’t have the chance to both look on screen and the radar.

(xAeroAtlas) #71

Brink was not half baked. Brink is the perfect example of a well designed well balanced game being ruined by being release to early but. being fixed in patches later on.

(xAeroAtlas) #72

**** that. Brink is awesome and the fact that you think that Brink is a sign that Splash Damage is failing is an insult to good taste. Brink is an awesome game that I could spend countless hours saying everything they did right and there only 3 things they did wrong. Get published by Bethesda, over hype it, and release too soon.

(xAeroAtlas) #73

That’s complete BS. Brink is very well put together, all of its elements are very well integrated making a simple appearance for a complex game. The problem was the it released to soon and it wasn’t technically ready thus laggy, glitches, and akward engine feel. Now that its been patched it very smooth and feels like a dream. Thus Brink is already fixed in that regard atleast for PC.
To call Brink a structurally flawed game is like saying Bastion is lacking on the atmosphere and story.

(phoen1x) #74

BRINK sucks, i regret that i spent money on it, just like i spent 60 euro for crap called diablo 3 and i hope there won’t be any BRINK 2. Movement system that was so overhyped - sucks, objectives - suck, that cartoonish look - sucks, weird shooting - sucks, dumb AI joining team in MULTIPLAYER? lol that sucks even more. Blur the lines between SP and MP? Too bad SP wasn’t even there, though i don’t care about SP anyway. I hope they will announce some good game and won’t try to take world with it, like they did with BRINK. Just create niche games, not COD killer (btw cod sucks, releasing same crap with same engine, with different story and same MP, too bad kids like it). Good Luck to SD.

(wolfnemesis75) #75

A Brink 2 would be awesome. Make it happen!

(tangoliber) #76

For their F2P PC game (which won’t be called “Brink 2”), I would like the following key elements:

1. Accurate weaponry even without using iron sights. We should be able to strafe and fire from the hip. Needing to burst fire or tap fire is okay, as long as the bursts/taps are accurate and it is a more effective tactic than holding down the trigger. (Obviously, you can burst fire in Brink as well, but shooting full auto just seems to kill faster unfortunately.) I know that they will likely include iron sights, so I’m not going to ask that they don’t… but iron sights should be for rare situations…otherwise you have a slow paced game with camping and not much dueling.

2. Restricted class loadouts. Not like Brink where every class can use every weapon. You can give each class a lot of options, but don’t make them universal.
    The benefit of this is that it makes balancing a lot more interesting. You don’t have to balance every weapon with every weapon or every ability with every ability… instead you balance each class as a whole. For example, the classic engineer with shotgun and turrets which combines a somewhat weak weapon with a powerful ability. A class with weaker abilities might be given a better weapon than other classes so that it functions better as a killer.

3. Stopwatch should be the standard gameplay mode. Make maps offensively biased, and make every pub match a race against the clock. Basically, the offense should have a lot of options/angles to attack from, while the defense should be just struggling to hold on as long as possible.

4. In-depth match customization. As a F2P game, Splash Damage will probably have us rent servers from FireTeam. Give us server flags to customize all the details.

5. Built-in clan system for casual clans with a)clan leaders and officers/inviting and kicking, b) recruitment system, c) Elo-based ranked matchmaking, d) custom tournaments (look at Killzone 2’s system… a clan creates a tournament with custom rules and a set time… it appears on the global schedule of tournaments, and other clans can choose to join the tournament.)
    The reason I say it would be for casual clans is that esports teams don’t need a built-in system. They probably prefer to manage everything for themselves. This system is more like a console clan system because it would be good for giving more casual players to team up and play organized matches at lower levels.
    The benefit of such a clan system is that it has the potential to suck casual players into the game since they get to experience organized play… it can turn casual players into hardcore supporters of the game.

(tangoliber) #77

For their F2P PC game (which won’t be called “Brink 2”), I would like the following key elements:

1. Accurate weaponry even without using iron sights. We should be able to strafe and fire from the hip. Needing to burst fire or tap fire is okay, as long as the bursts/taps are accurate and it is a more effective tactic than holding down the trigger. (Obviously, you can burst fire in Brink as well, but shooting full auto just seems to kill faster unfortunately.) I know that they will likely include iron sights, so I’m not going to ask that they don’t… but iron sights should be for rare situations…otherwise you have a slow paced game with camping and not much dueling.

2. Restricted class loadouts. Not like Brink where every class can use every weapon. You can give each class a lot of options, but don’t make them universal.
    The benefit of this is that it makes balancing a lot more interesting. You don’t have to balance every weapon with every weapon or every ability with every ability… instead you balance each class as a whole. For example, the classic engineer with shotgun and turrets which combines a somewhat weak weapon with a powerful ability. A class with weaker abilities might be given a better weapon than other classes so that it functions better as a killer.

3. Stopwatch should be the standard gameplay mode. Make maps offensively biased, and make every pub match a race against the clock. Basically, the offense should have a lot of options/angles to attack from, while the defense should be just struggling to hold on as long as possible. (A full hold should be a rare and amazing thing to witness.)

4. In-depth match customization. As a F2P game, Splash Damage will probably have us rent servers from FireTeam. Give us server flags to customize all the details.

5. Built-in clan system for casual clans with a) clan leaders and officers/inviting and kicking, b) recruitment system, c) Elo-based ranked matchmaking, d) custom tournaments (look at Killzone 2’s system… a clan creates a tournament with custom rules and a set time… it appears on the global schedule of tournaments, and other clans can choose to join the tournament.)
    The reason I say it would be for casual clans is because esports teams don’t need a built-in system. They probably prefer to manage everything for themselves. This system is more like a console clan system because it would be good for giving casual players an opportunity to team up and play organized matches against other casual players.
    Even at a low level, playing an organized match with people you are familiar with, coming up with a strategy and implementing it, is something that not many people get to experience in pubs. But once they experience it, they will often fall in love with the game. Through a built-in clan system you can turn casual players into hardcore fans (and spenders) for your game. It’s simply a great way to build a fanbase.

(jRAD) #78

Out of curiosity, do you like anything at all?

(Gir) #79

E.T The Extraterrestrial on his Atari 2600 is his favorite game, he must have very high standards

(phoen1x) #80

Yes :slight_smile: Enemy Territory, Enemy Territory:Quake Wars and Quakelive. I tried to like BRINK but it just doesn’t feel right. Good luck with new titles, i hope i’'ll spend lots of hours playing them like i did with et and et:qw.