Boktor's Project

(Boktor) #141

Getting a strange error:
WARNING: script/maps/generic/destructible_objective.script(751): Thread ‘’: Couldn’t find entity ‘destroyable_barrel’ specified in ‘target’ key in entity ‘jens_gameplay_destructible_trigger_1’

I don’t know what happened, everything was set up properly and it was working before. The gameplay_destructible_trigger isn’t happy and the map won’t start. I’ve changed the names to around and still nothing.

The objective entity’s name is destroyable_barrel. My gameplay_destructible_trigger’s target is destroyable_barrel. It worked before and now it suddenly won’t.

(Boktor) #142

Quick question, can’t find this in the wiki:
How do I set my own object_name and task_name for an objective?

(Boktor) #143

Ok, I’ve got two objectives and they work fairly well right now.

I guess it’s pretty much playable right now.

There are still some issues though. The game doesn’t end when they blow up (I think it has to do with this warning message about “failing to localize complete_obj_generic”) Also, there’s no objective bar showing the time remaining on a planted charge. A message comes up saying “Player has planted a charge on objective.” but you can’t tell which objective. Engineers still get an icon showing where it is though, so it won’t be a huge problem for a play test in the veeery near future :smiley:

(BackSnip3) #144

Maybe you have changed your path for saving but still got mod files inside your sdk. If your files aren’t in your saving path they are in the sdk folders. :slight_smile:

(Scrupus) #145

[QUOTE=Boktor;394179]Ok, I’ve got two objectives and they work fairly well right now.

I guess it’s pretty much playable right now.

There are still some issues though. The game doesn’t end when they blow up (I think it has to do with this warning message about “failing to localize complete_obj_generic”) Also, there’s no objective bar showing the time remaining on a planted charge. A message comes up saying “Player has planted a charge on objective.” but you can’t tell which objective. Engineers still get an icon showing where it is though, so it won’t be a huge problem for a play test in the veeery near future :D[/QUOTE]

yay :slight_smile:

It sounds like it’s not recognized as a primary objective. This is maybe not enough, but try to add the key “objective_index” with the value 1 (if this is the second objective) to the destructible entity, and see if that help a bit.

Edit: you can mostly ignore the localization warnings, not related to this problem - they can be fixed later.

(Donnovan) #146

Very cool screen shots!

(Boktor) #147

[QUOTE=Scrupus;394236]yay :slight_smile:

It sounds like it’s not recognized as a primary objective. This is maybe not enough, but try to add the key “objective_index” with the value 1 (if this is the second objective) to the destructible entity, and see if that help a bit.

Edit: you can mostly ignore the localization warnings, not related to this problem - they can be fixed later.[/QUOTE]
No I don’t think the problem is with the “objective_index” key

I’ve been looking at the objectives.world and script for Refinery. The dual destructible objectives at the end use two different objective_index values (2 and 3 I believe) even though they are sort of the same objective. So following this I have my objectives set to 0 and 1, but I still have some problems, such as the game not ending when they are destroyed, and no timer.

Even when I tested one objective with “objective_index” set to 0 I still had these issues.

(Ashog) #148

so when is release of alpha?

(Boktor) #149

:o

I just started my spring break, so I will have plenty of time this and next week for tidying up the objectives and other things.

It’s pretty much ready for tests now though. Unfortunately I know nothing about exporting(?) the map for playing in a server. Can anyone give advice about this?

(Apples) #150

Isnt spring break about beers and boobies?

(taw_m0nsta) #151

Keep the screenshots coming :smiley:

(Boktor) #152

ETQW beer and boobies mod is next

(Boktor) #153

I want to verify is my map folder looks correct:

The (test) map name is techbuster_obj. Inside the folder is:

3 folders: mapinfo, maps, script
pakmeta.conf

inside mapinfo: techbuster_obj.md
inside maps: all the map stuff
inside script: map.script, techbuster_obj.script

[HR][/HR]
What I am mostly confused about here is what goes in \maps. To compare I see Chris’ Maridia \maps\ contains:

[ul]
[li].cmb [/li][li].entities [/li][li].entitynames [/li][li].procb [/li][/ul]

I just copy-pasted all the files that the SDK generates for the references and the world that puts them together:

[ul]
[li].autosave (obviously I don’t include this but I’m listing everything)[/li][li].bot_entities[/li][li].cm[/li][li].cmb[/li][li].entities[/li][li].lin (only 1 reference has one. ???)[/li][li].procb[/li][li].world[/li][/ul]

I’m confused as to what role each file plays and what is essential. I’m also confused about what the fate of references is on map release.
Help :o

(hozz) #154

You don’t need to include references, or any .world source files, it’s all baked into the .procb (geometry) and all the other compiler created files. You would need to include models, though.

Also: all the other maps have in script only map.script, and then you would have script/maps/techbuster_obj.script, but i think that depends on the script path somewhere. So if your map script works, it’s ok.

For the rest, Donnovan must know everything with all the mapping he does lately :slight_smile:

(.Chris.) #155

Creating the pk4 is right royal pain in the arse.

all I can suggest is looking at existing pk4s and looking at the following files:

addon.conf
/mapinfo/mapname.md
/script/map.script
/script/maps/mapname.script

Each of these files reference the other, the addon.conf defines the mapinfo file, the mapinfo points to mapname.script and the map.script makes sure the mapname.script gets loaded. If these don’t match up the map wont load properly. Afaik there are no tutorials available for all this anymore, they were all on the old forums, the stuff in the wiki is slightly dated from memory.

(Violator) #156

I should dig out post my map wizard, it creates all the folders and stuff for you in the right places.

(Boktor) #157

Thanks, guys. This helps a lot.
Still working on the script… script syntax highlighters are a life-saver.

If things go slowly blame multivariable calculus.

(Boktor) #158

I broke a ladder. When I try to add it again it never works. I had problems earlier with ladders, but they ended up working out of luck. Am I missing something?

1. Create a func_ladder entity
  2. Texture it with textures/common/ladder
    Sadly the map won’t start. I get ERROR: sdLadderEntity::Spawn No Ladder Surface Found

I hope I haven’t broken any hearts with my “release dates”. I have made progress with scripting, but no progress with the actual script. Nothing seems to even affect the game when I test it with devmap.

(.Chris.) #159

You only put the ladder texture on one side of the brush, rest can be clip texture or so.

Also when you move any brush based entity you need to reset the origin by pressing control + O, otherwise the engine will think it’s somewhere else.

(Boktor) #160

Thanks I got it working again. I think it also needs a normal compile as well. Compiling entities doesn’t seem to be enough

Although I don’t think control + O resets the origin. That seems to be the command to open files