beginner

(siim) #1

i need some help

1. how to make .map file to .pk3 file
  2. how can i try my map when that is redy

plz help me

(kamikazee) #2

The first thing you should realise, is that all of the mappers you’ve played maps of were once beginners themselves. I assume you’re new to the mapping scene.
Many questions have been asked here; lots have been answered. Let the search button at the top be your friend.
Search first, ask questions later. Got a real nasty problem? Post it and you mostly get an answer varying from a direct one to a hint on what to search.

However, since you seem to be completely clueles: Ifurita’s pages are a good start: Wolfenstein 4 newbies
New to mapping? is just what you need I think.

And of course, if you prefer to see a tutorial map, try EB’s fine tutorial maps: Tutorial maps for RTCW:ET level design

(siim) #3

cant you just tell me that it’s hard to search here

(kamikazee) #4

Tried any of my links?

1. If you’re not new to all of this, you would have known your .map file converted to a .bsp and should then be packaged in a pk3. (.bsp’s reside in the ‘maps folder’)
    And how to make pk3’s surely can be found, with some ‘search experience’.
  2. Testing is nothing more then opening your console and typing ‘/devmap <mapname>’ (without .bsp)

Does that help more? :???:

BTW: What most beginners do wrong is “trying to run if they can’t walk”.
Don’t take this wrong, but there’s a lot to learn before you canreally start.
If your past this, please tell me so, but you weren’t quite clear with a title like ‘beginner’.

(Gringo) #5

I hope he aint under the misconception that makin a map will be easy peasy :weird:

(stadilainen) #6

If creating a pk3 file seems hard, just empty a custom one and place your .bsp and the (possible) .script file to folder ‘maps’.
Then you’ll have another folder called ‘scripts’. That’s where you place your .arena file (see the original .arena files for examples).
Now basically you do not need anything else, but levelshots would go to ‘levelshots’ and gamemodels to ‘models’.

(siim) #7

— FloodEntities —
Entity 1, Brush 0: Entity leaked
17 flooded leafs
entity reached from outside – no filling
— LeakFile —
2 point linefile
MAP LEAKED

can someone help whit this (mking bsp file ) :banghead:

(DerSaidin) #8

Look for tutorials.

If you cant find tutorials, then use the search function of the forums.

THEN, if you still dont know/understand, post.

(kamikazee) #9

Do you see what I meant with running without knowing how to walk?
This is one of the most common problems when you make a map. It happens often, when you forget to close a hole in the ‘map hull’. (The brushes which seal your map from the outside)

You see it mentions ‘2 point linefile’.
There is a feature in GTK Radiant to visualize this pointfile. It will draw a line from an entity into the void, follow it and you will pass the gap, even if it’s a small one.
To find out how to visualize this file, read the GTK Radiant manual. And when you’re reading it, you could skim trough it to learn other tricks that Radiant can do.

(elliotbelt) #10

my site look under wolfenstein editing everthing you want to no

(]UBC[ McNite) #11

If creating a pk3 file seems hard, just empty a custom one and place your .bsp and the (possible) .script file to folder ‘maps’.
Then you’ll have another folder called ‘scripts’. That’s where you place your .arena file (see the original .arena files for examples).
Now basically you do not need anything else, but levelshots would go to ‘levelshots’ and gamemodels to ‘models’.

:eek2: :eek3: :eek2: :eek3: :eek2: :eek3:

@ stadi: Ok now for real: that s a very pointless and sad thing to post.
Post the link to a thread/tutorial = all fine.
Post this kind of (fill in a good word for absolutely misleading noobish nonsense here) is
a) real wrong to begin with (eg. a .script is OBLIGATORY to start with) b) is only going to confuse any beginners c) makes me wonder whether you yourself read any tutorials before u started “helping”

Back to the (first) topic: To create a pk3: use winzip, pack in everything with the folder option, then rename the .zip to .pk3. All done. But as kami said: try first things first. You won’t need a pk3 for weeks, trust me. All first testing can be done in your mapping installation of ET (i hope you have a clean installation of ET for mapping, with no custom maps in it).

(elliotbelt) #12

TOLD YOU GO TO MY SITE THEN TO THE WOLFENSTEIN EDITING THEN TO THE STICKY TOPIC ALL THINGS NEWBIES WANT TO NO THERE IS EVERYTHING EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO NO INCLUDING GOOD TOOL FOR TESTING AND HOW TO MAKE .PK3

so read :smiley:

mapcenter is closing and newbies on mapmaking are the best off there so i made this site to help you newbies but read it if you dont it wont help :disgust:

(kamikazee) #13

First of all, this looks like “spamvertising”.
Ok, it’s nice of you to host a new forum dedicated to mapmaking. But please, make your sentences like those in your post clearer to read by using punctuation (points, exclamation marks, question mark, etc) and proper use of capitals. All capitalized is mostly considdered as “screaming”.

I’ve taken a quick look, and first thing I’ve clicked trough to is this: http://www.freeforum101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9&mforum=elliotb
Ok, I have no problems with the fact you copy posts of other people on another forum, collecting information that would be lost is ok for me.

First I thought I have read this somewhere else as well. Now I had to scroll down to the bottom to affirm EB posted it/made the maps. I agree, the author’s info is there and you could consider my post as “whining”. However, I would take the site more seriously if you’d allso put the author at the top. That way, someone viewing it can directly see who originally posted it and who he’s got to thank for.

(Higgins) #14

I blame mobile phones and chat rooms. They turn young kids into leet monsters, which inturn create pointless posts… (lets just say this is semi pointless, but also pointing out the evil side of technology)

(]UBC[ McNite) #15

If i m right, EB has all his stuff on his own site anyways… so what is the use in putting it on another site and kinda claim “i made the site”?

(elliotbelt) #16

<_< duuth i got this from map center and i put in on every place that i copy
i put this so you can see how made it and were its from
this was posted by:
EB
on mapcenter
and i am not saying i made eb his site i just post a copy of his post.
but i was more meaning my sticky topic about all things newbies want to no wenn they start since thats is solfing all of your problems.
but since you guys are pisst off about this i make it more clear by just posting a topic about it on my site to so its clear i am not saying hey i made this or you people thinks i try to get away with the ohner of making somthing good like that.

back to the topic:

Question
how do i make a .pk3 file
oke but how do i make a .pk3 file
here is a site how to make a .pk3
http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/4newbies/pakscape.htm

Question how do i test my map
next thing you want to have is a good tool to make be faster at testing your maps.
http://www.inficad.com/~mnichol/dummies/index
or use these commands:
+set sv_pure 0 +set g_gametype 2 +devmap YOURMAPNAME commands for maptesting but the tool works good to :smiley:
i think the tourial is faster and makes you get less problems with testing cous people get problems with the commands most of the time

(kamikazee) #17

I didn’t say you stole the stuff, it only looked like it untill you went straight to the bottom of the post. But thanks for putting the author at the top (at least there), I appreciate it.
Those beginner tutorials may come in handy as well.

Good luck with your site, as getting a new comunity going is quite hard…

(elliotbelt) #18

well i think thats not gowing to work since there like 0 members already seen better sites think i just gowing to use it as a data base for people special newbies on et mapping

there is already a new site were i ganne be admin of it looks almost the same as the old mapcenter and a lot of guys form mapcenter are there now only thous are all jk editors and not wolfenstein so he asked me to do the et forum :clap:

(elliotbelt) #19

well am a admin at http://www.darthg.com/index.php i do the wolfenstein section now :smiley: so i just keep my site as a info forum to get some tourials and stuff from wenn i need them
lot of the old guys from map-center are there to :smiley:

(stadilainen) #20

@ stadi: Ok now for real: that s a very pointless and sad thing to post.
Post the link to a thread/tutorial = all fine.
Post this kind of (fill in a good word for absolutely misleading noobish nonsense here) is
a) real wrong to begin with (eg. a .script is OBLIGATORY to start with) b) is only going to confuse any beginners c) makes me wonder whether you yourself read any tutorials before u started “helping”

What is wrong with editing custom pk3 files anyway? Making the pk3 file can be very frustrating depending what zip program you are using. I’m sorry for trying to help someone here!