Array - WIP

(Boktor) #1

Hey guys, I’ve got a new map I’d like to test. It’s outdoors and heavy on vehicles. It’s still bare, but of course it’s ready for some general playtests before more stuff.

First I need to ask other mappers for help:

It works fully in the SDK. GDF attacks, completes objectives, game ends. All the script stuff is working in devmap tests in the SDK.

When I make the .pk4 and run Array in retail QW it loads up but doesn’t start because of an error:

ERROR: script/misc/objective_manager.script(202): Thread 'sdObjectiveManagerLocal': objectiveManager::OnMapStart No Map Script

btw, this is the part of the script the error refers to

void objectiveManager::OnMapStart() {
	delete mapObject;

if ( sys.doClientSideStuff() ) {
		sys.setGUIFloat( GUI_GLOBALS_HANDLE, "gameHud.successTextTime", 0.f );	
	}

if ( !sys.isClient() ) {
		mapObject = createMapScript();
		if ( mapObject == $null_entity ) {
			sys.error( "objectiveManager::OnMapStart No Map Script" ); //LINE 202 HERE
		}
		mapObject.InitObjectives();
	}

if ( sys.doClientSideStuff() ) {
		sys.killThread( "LocalPlayerUpdateThread" );
		thread LocalPlayerUpdateThread();
	}

CreateCriticalClassCheckThread();
}

I’m really stuck, I don’t even know what to fix

Some screenshots :wink:

(timestart) #2

Check you have “no_compiled_script” “1” in the mapMetaData section of your addon.conf.

(Boktor) #3

I have that line in my addon.conf

I actually tested it with and without that line and the map still won’t start. Must be something else…

(timestart) #4

Could be missing a file when making the pk4, lots of things can cause that error (though not sure what would make it work in the SDK but not in the normal game). Can you upload the pk4? Might be able to spot the problem.

(Boktor) #5

edit: -link removed-
I appreciate you offering to take a look :slight_smile:

There should also be a couple missing models but the “no map script” error precedes that

(timestart) #6

Well that’s odd - it loads fine here (both in base and etqwpro). Have you tried moving all other pk4s out of the base folder in case they’re causing the problem?

(Boktor) #7

Update: timestart helped me figure out the problem over IRC. It was an alphabetical issue, the map .pk4 needs to be renamed z_array or whatever so it is read after the game file .pk4s (if the custom map .pk4 is going in the basepath)

Good news: The map starts in retail now
Bad news: Atmosphere won’t show up in retail. Rainbow fog, rainbow lighting, no skybox.
Good news again: Once I get the atmosphere to show up it’s ready for testing

Update 2: As the screenshots show, I got an atmosphere to show up in retail.

I had to completely re-do the ambient lighting because of more SDK<->retail things I don’t understand :rolleyes:
Also, I can’t get fog to show up. Not a major issue, but I preferred the ashy haze.

(Donnovan) #8

Nice! Have you made a Megatexture?

(Boktor) #9

Yeah you’re looking at it! Custom terrain model and megatexture.

(Donnovan) #10

Cooliest!!!

(Boktor) #11

It’s still rough early work, I just want to test out the first 2 or 3 objectives really. You should go check it out when it’s back up on ICE Nexus Labs.

ICE Nexus Labs 213.236.208.185:27744
pass: redsnow

Currently there’s 2 problems:

1. For some reason the server crashed when the game ended.

2. There’s problems getting people to download the .mega. The array_lit.mega is included in the megatextures folder in the .pk4, and I believe players need that file in the userpath /base/ folder. How can I solve this?? :confused:

(Donnovan) #12

[QUOTE=Boktor;446723]
2) There’s problems getting people to download the .mega. The array_lit.mega is included in the megatextures folder in the .pk4, and I believe players need that file in the userpath /base/ folder. How can I solve this?? :confused:[/QUOTE]

The .mega file can be inside the pk4 but it need to re nenamed to array_lit.dat.

With the .dat thing, ETQWPro will unzip it on first run and put it in the proper folder with the correct name.

People running in retail still will got no megatexture, but one run in ETQWPro is enough to solve the problem.

If the mega is not too big, you can have a copy inside the PK4 and another outside it, in the distribution zip.

(Boktor) #13

Thanks Donnovan, we solved both problems and we had a few people come test it.

(Boktor) #14

Hey guys, I need some technical help and then I can finally release an update to Array.

My problem is in getting the megatexture to display in retail. Scrupus helped me out with Array (pre1) by setting up the megatexture properly for downloads. If I recall, it is about moving the .mega and renaming to .dat

Here’s the issue: I made some terrain changes. I want to reuse the 1st megatexture I made on the new terrain model. In the SDK there’s no problem, but in retail it doesn’t show up. I can load the new terrained Array (pre2), but the ground is all black. So what is preventing the megatexture to show up?

Here is the .pk4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74541921/z_array_a0_pre2_nomega.pk4

In my set-up I have the same array_lit.dat in my userpath/base/megatextures folder that works for Array(pre1). It just doesn’t work when Array(pre2) is used

edit: free screenie

(timestart) #15

From the warnings it looks like it could be the missing surface type map file (maps/array.stm).

WARNING: Couldn't load image: levelshots/array
[b]WARNING: missing surface type map 'maps/array.stm' in 'megatextures/array'[/b]
WARNING: idDeclLocal::ParseLocal Failed to Parse decl 'megatextures/array' in file 'materials/array.mtr' line 1
WARNING: Couldn't load bot entities for  maps/array.entities
WARNING: Couldn't load AAS file: 'maps/array.aas_player'
WARNING: Couldn't load AAS file: 'maps/array.aas_vehicle'
WARNING: Couldn't load model: 'models/mapobjects/strogg_base/goliath_dock.lwo'
WARNING: Couldn't load model: 'models/mapobjects/strogg_base/hornet_landing_pad_lower.lwo'
WARNING: Couldn't load model: 'models/mapobjects/strogg_base/hornet_landing_pad_lower.lwo'
WARNING: Couldn't load model: 'models/platformshield.obj'
WARNING: Couldn't load model: 'models/mapobjects/strogg_base/wall_defence2.lwo'
WARNING: Couldn't load model: 'models/mapobjects/strogg/barricade_blade01.lwo'
WARNING: script/maps/generic/constructible_objective.script(711): Thread 'constructible_materials_bridge': Virtual function call on a NULL entity

(Ashog) #16

What a shame timestart never finished his own map :frowning:

(Boktor) #17

Oi, sorry guys I should have mentioned I was on vacation. Was in the Netherlands, but I’m back now.

Anyway I think I’ll just re-make the mega.