Altering the GDF outfit texture

(taw_m0nsta) #1

I would like to alter the GDF outfits. But after modifying the texture a bit
dds > models > characters > edf_players > 1755809786b40.dds and 3065709534b40.dds
and loading a map, I get a white screen as soon the map is 100% and then kicks me out the game without a error.

I am saving the image as DSS DXT1 RGB 2048x2048 and tried it as .tga .dds and .png
Maybe Susefreak has a better idea to include them since he helped out doing the x-mas heads? (I noticed some .tga duplicates, but no line of code…)

(taw_m0nsta) #2

Whoops, this topic should be in ETQW Editing

(taw_m0nsta) #3

Thanks all :smiley: figured it out myself :oppressor: well and some help of Runeforce

(Runeforce) #4

That’s lakersforce on these forums :smiley:

GIMP to the rescue!

(taw_m0nsta) #5

Haha, yeh… Gimp FTW after all. (at least I can drag convert my psds to gimp) :stroggbanana:

(.Chris.) #6

Wouldn’t it be better to make a new model rather than a new skin?

(Donnovan) #7

New skins will revigorate custom a bit.

We can use the new skins on the campaign file, if you provide then to Scrupus and you two agree.

(.Chris.) #8

People have to download enough crap as it is.

(Donnovan) #9

So make a Pareto and cut the worse.

I even have sayd i dont mean if Andes and Consite get removed.

Those skins should be the last in offensive rank.

Dont need to change all teams all classes skins. this yes would be a big download.

(.Chris.) #10

They have been lots of new PK4’s lately, this must be putting people off joining, that’s why I’ve held back with Wake.

(Donnovan) #11

Need to remove lots of maps, so new comers dont need to download it.

(.Chris.) #12

No, need to stop releasing new maps each week.

(Donnovan) #13

Since you is mainly sarcastic, i really need to ask you, to can get something from it:

Who is releasing maps every week?

(.Chris.) #14

[QUOTE=Donnovan;378120]Since you is mainly sarcastic, i really need to ask you, to can get something from it:

Who is releasing maps every week?[/QUOTE]

We’ve had new Glory, Estate and Wake versions each week for about 6 weeks or so.

(taw_m0nsta) #15

Well I kinda dived into the texture, and wauw. Thats a real piece of art. Thinking of printing it out on a A1 Poster.
I just figured out all the clothing positions of the GDF engineer for 95% (heads, weapons and tools are separated, if I am right, some tools like a mine or ammo pack is actually the same figure/texture for players outfit.)

My goal is to create a space outfit for GDF, but yeh, it would be perfect to have them for one of my most favorite maps BattleStrogg. I already posted a topic about it… I suppose the maker of it doesn’t checks SplashDamage on daily basis, but I’m planning to e-mail him soon and trow some ideas at him I think if would be great if can make this map even better. (added some more, but not in the topic yet)

Sad part of all my funny fantasies is, I am not a game designer/map maker/or 3d model artist. I can give it all my best on creating some proper new outfits, but without any support to put it on a higher level (extend the model), the models will pretty stay the much the same from my part. Not that the default ETQW skins are included in the BattleStrogg map, but I guess should email ‘Big []v[]s Mapping’ soon. (just need to sort some stuff out)

If BattleStrogg is not an option I can always think about of other outfits… Ninja anyone?

(light_sh4v0r) #16

There’s not much point in doing skins for BSG no? Everyone is always in a vehicle.

(taw_m0nsta) #17

Well I emailed the men behind BattleStrogg, his source code is gone… Sad.
Gues I need to think about another theme for the outfit. Susefreak just showed me something (in my eyes very exclusive) for QW which totally blew my mind. I gues I am going to help him out fixing some stuff soon and get this awesome thing on a server.

(Violator) #18

I’ve released 2 new versions of Estate after about 3 years and still people moan lol :slight_smile:

(taw_m0nsta) #19

Ill rather have a few new version (quick releases) then map that never gets updated because it becomes accepted that its a final version. Its the servers admin choice to update every small release directly or wait a little longer till the creators says ‘this is it, no more updates’.