Actual Chess, no steroids:)

(Ciakgb) #1

So chess on steroids, that’s the Splash advertising for this game:) I don’t know about that, BUT, they are both turn based, (basically) perfect information, square based games, with different pieces and abilities, positional play and all the rest.

If anyone here likes to play Chess as well, feel free to join FICS (free internet chess server), it’s free and requires you to pick an interface that matches up well with your home computer. Apps are discouraged.

Once there, you can look me up and send me a message, my handle is “Gaveudabird.” 50 points if you figure out why:)

In case you didn’t know, I am a chess journalist by trade. I have interviewed Gary Kasparov and penned a number of articles for CHESS LIFE magazine. I’m not trully great, alas, as a player–like Rad I go in for the uncoventional and risky–but I’m sure I’ll give you an interesting game:)

All the best,

Ciakgb

(Anonymous--Rex) #2

I dunno. The whole “every gets to bring in different units” changes things. If the individual units aren’t balanced, the games aren’t necessarily so. I haven’t been playing much, but it feels like going first gives you a bigger advantage here than in chess, too.

(Runeforce) #3

For all chess lovers (and chess haters too,) here is the (not so) real history of the game of chess: :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/0RHLtx9r2LA

(tinker) #4

the units are balanced. not perfectly but name 1 game where everything is balanced. it is impossible.
comparing snipers and soldiers in rad soldiers is for me like comparing knight and bishop in chess.

and yes - playing perfect will allow you to win every game when you start. the problem : there is no “perfect” start in chess (at least not found)
same might count for rad soldiers. but it is little more complex at this point - because every squad has pros and cons, a mirror match is rare.

(Anonymous--Rex) #5

[QUOTE=tinker;480034]the units are balanced. not perfectly but name 1 game where everything is balanced. it is impossible.
comparing snipers and soldiers in rad soldiers is for me like comparing knight and bishop in chess.

and yes - playing perfect will allow you to win every game when you start. the problem : there is no “perfect” start in chess (at least not found)
same might count for rad soldiers. but it is little more complex at this point - because every squad has pros and cons, a mirror match is rare.[/QUOTE]

The only truly balanced situation, however, is a mirror match. Giving the players different options creates an innate advantage for one side. This advantage can be negligibly small, but it will always exist. Even ignoring that, factor in other aspects such as terrain and the inherent advantages become more apparent. For example, 4 snipers vs 4 melee units on a stage such as the Bridge will pretty much always fall in favor of the snipers. In a truly perfect game, that’d be a coin flip. All I’m really getting at is that the different levels of complexity in the two games make them fairly different animals.

Also, I’m mainly addressing the “perfect information” remark. In a game so reliant on setup, having no idea what your opponent is bringing sort of kills that. Nevermind the invisible junk in the game.

(Ciakgb) #6

Obviously not chess, but I was pointing out that it did share some elements.

in your sniper/melee analogy, two bishops beat two knights, all things being equal. range matters.

perfect information–it isn’t quite obviously, but its more so than if you had to “see” your opponent before you could fire (like XCOM say). Starcraft 2 is NOT perfect information for example.

(Anonymous--Rex) #7

I might be blabbering and being unclear since I’m half asleep, but yeah, they do share elements. I don’t think it’s appreciably more-so than any other grid-based game, however. But if that’s all you were intending to say, I do most certainly agree.

The bit about the sniper/melee analogy is a little more complex than that. That situation doesn’t hold true if you change the map. Same setup on Faleva will probably err in favor of the melee attackers. Tight or open spaces change the dynamic. This was my point.

Also, “perfect information” is really a binary term. I think the the aspects that make it not fall into this have a substantial effect on the game; therefor, “isn’t quite” seems like a drastic underplay of a rather profound difference. We can debate the details of that, if you’d like, but the root sentiment is all I wish to express.

Anyhow, I feel like I’m derailing the thread a bit. I like chess, but I’m not very good. I haven’t played enough, really. I still think in moves and not patterns.

(Ciakgb) #8

yeah man, no sweat, interesting discussion.

I actually hate when games compare themselves to chess. There certainly aren’t a google worth of moves options after move 10…

I was pointing out that at least they were in the same ballpark with this game, you know like squares and pieces that move differently and have different abilities, you have an objective that doesn’t neccissarily require the destruction of all the opponents pieces, stuff like that. Taking turns…

I was kind of hoping Rad would take more of a chess turn in terms of tourneys, seems to make more sense as a chess-like game than as a standard video game.

But yes your game theory comments are accurate, I was stretching it a little (although I did say “basically” meaning there were plenty of elements that werent’, ghost obviously being a big one). Ok maybe a lot:)

(tinker) #9

[QUOTE=Anonymous–Rex;480044]The only truly balanced situation, however, is a mirror match. Giving the players different options creates an innate advantage for one side. This advantage can be negligibly small, but it will always exist. Even ignoring that, factor in other aspects such as terrain and the inherent advantages become more apparent. For example, 4 snipers vs 4 melee units on a stage such as the Bridge will pretty much always fall in favor of the snipers. In a truly perfect game, that’d be a coin flip. All I’m really getting at is that the different levels of complexity in the two games make them fairly different animals.

Also, I’m mainly addressing the “perfect information” remark. In a game so reliant on setup, having no idea what your opponent is bringing sort of kills that. Nevermind the invisible junk in the game.[/QUOTE]

but that’s not true.
the mirror match is “truly balanced”
now …chess is truly balanced - the first player (when playing perfect) always wins.
the balance is actually created by the way tournaments are played - each player has to start first the same amount of games (or at least nearly)
you have to use the environment. bridge is tight, just as favela. melees MIGHT win this quite hard when doing exactly the right thing at exactly the right time. finding that moment is hard though.

I am in fact trying to find the best playstyle for engis right now. and as I experienced they are the very opposite of snipers. I expected snipers have to be played accurate and thoughtful. but engis have to be. the right chosen place for the turret may win a game. you go back and forth with the enemy til you find the perfect spot. might take 10 turns but then you will probably rule him.

(Anonymous--Rex) #10

Yeah, I didn’t bring up that aspect of chess. As implied, chess has in innate bias due to being turn based. Beyond that, it’s completely fair. Also, anything that occurs in real time, avoids that complication. :slight_smile:

Anyway, yeah, I kinda see what you’re saying about engineers. Between the london challenges and playing against them online, they seem highly defensive.

(Jerry-Rigs) #11

“Chess on steroids” is just a marketing phrase. Don’t get too hung up on it. I’m not a chess player so I don’t know what I’m talking about

<flame bait>

“completely fair”? Phht! Maybe for selected definitions of fair.

If chess is not balanced (as suggested because the first move and perfect play win the game), does it require a match (more than one game) for balance? To me that sounds like a factor outside the rules of the game.

In a face to face chess game, it my be gauche, but I can heckle you and talk trash (I think). That can be an effective tactic that is outside of the rules of the game. Does that unbalance it? If a good but not great player goes against a well known, truly great player, is the good player psych’ed out before the game has begun? Is that balanced?

Is a game of heads up poker balanced? How about a tournament?
How about Go? Checkers? Rock, Paper, Scissors? Darts?

</flame bait>

(Ciakgb) #12

I won’t re post the whole thing, but this is a good introduction to this topic:

(Anonymous--Rex) #13

Might I ask, “which definitions would exclude the notion, then?”

If chess is not balanced (as suggested because the first move and perfect play win the game), does it require a match (more than one game) for balance? To me that sounds like a factor outside the rules of the game.

In a face to face chess game, it my be gauche, but I can heckle you and talk trash (I think). That can be an effective tactic that is outside of the rules of the game. Does that unbalance it? If a good but not great player goes against a well known, truly great player, is the good player psych’ed out before the game has begun? Is that balanced?

In a game, not all elements are explicitly stated in the rules. Things like the pressure a chess piece exerts on a tile it can capture on isn’t part of the rules but a dynamic stemming from the rules. Rules actually tell you what you cannot do - not what you can. Likewise, any sort of psychological play is not explicitly banned, so it’s therefore an element of the game. Plus, if anything, this falls more under a player skill.

As for balance, since both players have the capability to do this, I’d say that it is.

Is a game of heads up poker balanced? How about a tournament?
How about Go? Checkers? Rock, Paper, Scissors? Darts?

Do I really have to address all of that? Each one would require like a paragraph of dissection and analysis to properly address the question. :frowning:

Anyhow, Ciakgb, I missed your previous reply, and I wouldn’t mind this game following a chess-style system. I think it’d work fantastically. :slight_smile:

(Ciakgb) #14

A rating system would instantly energize the base. The chess forumula is published widely, and as complex as it is, works quite well. Slap it into the server code, stick a little number somewhere on that funky globe, and your off and running:)

(Jerry-Rigs) #15

[QUOTE=Anonymous–Rex;480123]Might I ask, “which definitions would exclude the notion, then?”
[/QUOTE]
Yes, you might. I might even answer if you did (was that a fair response?).

I am trying to understand the concepts of “skill” vs “balanced” and “fair”. I think you nailed it: if the rules don’t say you can’t do it, then you can. Likewise, if the software allows you to do it, then you can. If I win because I “know” a firing angle, or how to squirt a toon half way around the map, or a cheat that the rules don’t outlaw and the software allows, it is still fair and I am just more skilled. Likewise, If I buy heavy hitters, the game allows it so it is fair. If my opponent can beat me to it, then it’s balanced? Oh, I understand now.:rolleyes:

The obvious answer is you don’t have to address any of this. However, a simple yes/no without a dissertation would probably be enough.

It’s already been stated and is under contention that a single game of chess is unbalanced but I take that it is agreed that chess, however, is fair.

Fair but unbalanced? Interesting.

Look, my bottom line is that very little (I would say none, but I could be wrong) is truly fair and balanced. In every undertaking, there are those who advance by skill or circumstance and those who fall behind. In the next undertaking, the roles can reverse. I believe it is up to the individual to attempt to maximize their potential. Of course convincing (AKA: complaining) is one way to do that, I just don’t think its a very productive one.

(Anonymous--Rex) #16

I’d like some clarification on two points before I try to address anything you’ve said, Rigs.

It’d be highly useful to have some definitions of fairness defined for this little debate. As things stand, I’m beginning to get the impression that you’re including skill as as an aspect of fairness. If that’s the case, that’s a farcry from any definition I would use as I’m framing fairness in respect to skill but not to the inclusion of it.

Secondly, on your second paragraph, I’m a bit unclear as to whether you’re actually agreeing or being sarcastic.

(Jerry-Rigs) #17

[QUOTE=Anonymous–Rex;480550]I’d like some clarification on two points before I try to address anything you’ve said, Rigs.

It’d be highly useful to have some definitions of fairness defined for this little debate. As things stand, I’m beginning to get the impression that you’re including skill as as an aspect of fairness. If that’s the case, that’s a farcry from any definition I would use as I’m framing fairness in respect to skill but not to the inclusion of it.

Secondly, on your second paragraph, I’m a bit unclear as to whether you’re actually agreeing or being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

No sarcasm: I don’t like the term “fair”. No matter what a dictionary says, I believe everybody defines it from their own perspective. Those perspectives are shaped by any number of things that are not objective or measurable. The result is that what is fair for one, is not fair for another. No matter how impartial someone tries to be, they will fall short. I will go so far as to say that if people were honest with themselves, they would admit that they don’t want fairness, they want personal advantage.

Still no sarcasm: I do not have a definition of “fair”. I do not have a good definition of “ethical” either but I think I know it when I see it. Maybe. I think skill and fairness are completely unrelated except a when someone gets beat very badly they will claim it was unfair. Well of course it was unfair, the opponent is a whole lot better than you.

Even now, no sarcasm: I think I was agreeing with you when I said that if the rules don’t forbid it, its legal (implying “fair”). Including psy-ops. The part about if someone can do it to me before I can do it to them was sarcasm but still maybe close to truth.

I marked my early inflammatory post with <flame bait> </flame bait> trying to indicate that I was tossing “controversy grenades” to see what would happen. When people make absolute grand statements, I think they are usually wrong.

What some people label as unbalanced or unfair is often a result of someone else’s innovation and skill.

This forum is rampant with discussions about what is unfair and what is unbalanced. Instead of complaining, I think it would be more interesting and perhaps challenging to try to develop effective counters. When a counter is developed, what was an advantage sometimes becomes a liability.

(Ciakgb) #18

if you are going to argue, I don’t think the finals of the cup are fair. Sure the under bracket lost once, but also had to play a whole extra round. With draw odds, you have to win against someone who merely has to draw–in our game its pretty damn easy to draw if you want.

(Anonymous--Rex) #19

Alright, that was very helpful to me. Thank you, Rigs. : )

I agree that the term “fair” and all its derivatives mean different things to different people. Like any word, it can change in accordance to a value a person holds. The term also innately frames itself to a certain value, so it’s also more nebulous than your typical word. The notion of equality, however, is uniform throughout each instance, and any usage that ignores that is simply misuse. When it comes to games, the framing value is typically either skill, luck, or a mixture of the two.

Fairness and skill are not always related, but in this context they are.

Anyhow, that equality is also the crux of my earlier statement. Take a game like Street Fighter - both players select Ryu. Both players are given the exact same options. Both players are spawned on parallel sides of the screen and beyond the cosmetic background, the game is literally reflected down the center. In regards to skill, that’s equal. Unless you can find something in the code that somehow favors one player, I don’t see how you could argue this situation’s equality without changing the defining value.

Now, presume this game is played by some fictional people of equal skill. In theory, this game should end up in a draw. It probably wouldn’t however. Perhaps player 2’s controller is a nanosecond slower than player 1’s. Perhaps player 1’s spot on the couch is more drafty and distracts him for a moment. Perhaps player 2’s hands get sweatier and he has to clutch the controller tighter which damages his deftness a smidgen. Key here is that none of that is innate to the game. Perhaps player 1 dominated this week, but next week player 2 may. The win/loss ratio is going to straddle the 50/50 line because fairness is a percentage game. No individual match of anything will ever be fair, but overall, the game would be.

That same situation applies with chess. The only innate advantage is perhaps turn order. If it was somehow played simultaneously, the game would not favor either side. External factors, sure, but the game, no.

As for the chap who decries the game as unfair because he lost to a more skilled player- in some frames of reference, he is right. According to a win/loss ratio, the game would not be fair. Coin flips, sure, but a game tailored to skill-based fairness, not really. But, really, that’s not important to anything I’ve said. I’ve never been using that framing context. I never explicitly said so as I took it for a given, so I do apologize for that.

When it comes to the terms “fairness” and “balance,” I don’t think the latter can be used with chess. “Balance” refers to the equality of differences. Chess doesn’t really have any differences. Sure, there are different pieces, but each player comes armed with the same amount and in the same positions. Both players have the same setup, thus there are no differences.

Balance affects fairness, however. Nothing will ever be perfectly balanced; therefore, mirror match’s innate fairness doesn’t exist. As a result, balance is generally used more as an approximation. People typically want the advantages minimized as best as possible - ideally to the point that they are negligible. How small is “negligible” is very much a matter of opinion, but as a rule of thumb “smaller is better.”

Consequently, a game like RAD Soldiers will never be as fair as chess because the former must be balanced while the latter does not. It can, however, be sufficiently fair.

For example, take a game like pokemon, with over 700 creatures, this game will never be balanced, but it’s generally agreed that it’s fair. Everyone has access to every pokemon, so if something like Garchomp is dominating the metagame, everyone can use it. Each individual match is most certainly unfair in some way, however. Because of how unbalanced the game is, some legal teams can be horribly unfair. The best players in the world could lose to the worst entirely due to the team. That’s neither balanced nor fair, but both players will always have the option to switch… or to heckle. That certainly is fair.

Certain elements can be fair even if the overall game or instance of the game is not.

By the way, do bear in mind that the framing value of fairness for this game is slightly changed from my mirror match example above. There is a layer of luck, for example.

Your notion that people want advantage is simply cynical.

Anyhow, I believe when you read my words, you injected a layer of aspects that weren’t intended. With a few extra concepts slurred into it, the meaning of my words drastically changed. In other words, good old fashioned miscommunication. >: P

The dissertations on the individual games would be required for me to actually answer the question. Writing them out would be the easy part; I just don’t wanna analyze all those games.

Also, Rigs, your last paragraph… the discussion and analysis is very important. Counters may be made, but the minimization of unfairness is what many players want. Without analysis, that can never happen. Either way, analysis and discussion over fairness and balance won’t prevent counters from being formed. If anything, it facilitates it by allowing more people to become aware of the issue.

That said, it does raise a couple of notions. It occurs to me that there is no stable metagame as of yet. Analysis is all well and good, but changes probably shouldn’t be made quite yet. Changing things before the analysis has completed is actually counterproductive for reasons you’ve highlighted in your last sentence.

Ciakgb… what are you talking about?

(Ciakgb) #20

well first your chess thing, its not balanced. white wins almost 60percent of the time. that’s why we balance first moves in tourneys. and people play for draws as black.

street fighter–someone always had the crap controller:)

as to what I meant, I thought that the undercard literally has like a 5 percent chance of winning under the rules of the cup final. I don’t think thats fair.