A new way to fire sparks gun (QoL)

(hoyes) #1

Recently, I have been playing a bit of sparks, since she is one of my least played mercs and I just thought I would give her a try. When trying to kill/res people with the revivr you have to charge up the device by holding the mouse, then letting go to release the charge and fire. I find this quite awkward to aim with, where I am sure everyone is used to clicking once with any single fire weapon, and the damage dealing bullet or pellet etc. comes out as soon as your mouse registers the original click, rather than when you release it. I would like to suggest an option for sparks, and any charge up weapons in the future where you click once, it charges up, and click again to release the charge. I feel this would just be a nice QoL change that wouldn’t effect much other than make sparks more accessible to players that prefer this type of firing.

(Nail) #2

nope, it would allow people to run around fully charged

(XavienX) #3

@Nail said:

While OP has an interesting idea, you have a good point as well. Personally I feel just holding the button feels better rather than to toggle the charge.

(henki000) #4

Sparks is my second most played merc and I think she is too weak in casual servers. Sure, there might be some theoretical use in FF on servers when you just down your teammates and revive. It just dosent happend in casual games and other medics are much more practical. Mp, tolen and empire are just crap airsoft guns with cool design. Medpacks run out fast and revir gun is nearly overheated forcing you just to escape in any situation and regroup. She needs a buff.

(neverplayseriou) #5

Rofl buffing Sparks, these forums…

(Guziol) #6

Anything that makes this stupid merc easier to use is a giant no-no for me.

(Teflon Love) #7

@jooshoyes said:
When trying to kill/res people with the revivr you have to charge up the device by holding the mouse, then letting go to release the charge and fire.

It’s the same mechanic as with defibs: the more you charge, the more you heal/damage. The difference being that the revivr is a more viable weapon than defibs.

Having to decide on a bigger charge vs. your friendly getting gibbed/yourself getting shot before you manage to deliver your charge is part of the depth Sparks offers and makes her so fun/challenging to play.

And unlike defibs, the revivr can overcharge, so you can’t just run around fully charged all the time. Deciding when and where to discharge (especially with friendly fire) is another part.

Sparks is not meant to be easy to play but rewarding once you get the hang (and admittedly punishing before that).

(Press E) #8

She takes time to learn, but she’s fine as she is. The only change I would make to her is that pressing E would charge it rather than just switching to the revivr, but clicking just feels weird when charging a shot in literally any other game requires you to hold down the button.

(GatoCommodore) #9

sparks is currently sitting in a good spot

maybe buff the revive speed so the revive wont get canceled.

(Xenithos) #10

Sparks is in a pretty good place right now. And though that QoL would be nice to see, it would probably allow easier more accurate corner sniping with her, and I’m not a fan of seeing more players use her revivr to damage foes effectively.

(Sleety) #11

There’s already a way to do this with keybinding via the console. Had the same issue/want for a while. Holding down lmb makes my hand feel like it locks up.

setbind FireSelectOn "startfire | SetBind LeftMouseButton FireSelectOff" 1
setbind FireSelectOff "stopfire | SetBind LeftMouseButton FireSelectOn" 1
setbind OnSpark "SelectWeaponSlot WS_Item2 | setbind LeftMouseButton FireSelectOn" 1
setbind OnSpark2 "quickItemSlot1 true | stopfire | quickItemSlot1 false | ResetFire" 1
setbind ResetFire "setbind LeftMouseButton Fire" 1
setbind One "WeaponSlotThree| stopfire | ResetFire" 1
setbind Two "WeaponSlotTwo| stopfire | ResetFire" 1
setbind Three "WeaponSlotOne| stopfire | ResetFire" 1
setbind Four "WeaponSlotFour| stopfire | ResetFire" 1
setbind LeftShift "SetSprint true | stopfire | OnRelease SetSprint false" 1
setbind O "EnableSparks" 1
setbind EnableSparks "stopfire | setbind O DisableSparks | setbind LeftMouseButton FireSelectOn | setbind e OnSpark | setbind Q OnSpark2" 1
setbind DisableSparks "stopfire | setbind O EnableSparks | setbind LeftMouseButton Fire | setbind e QuickItem2Cmd | setbind Q QuickItem1Cmd" 1

O to toggle the keybind. So far this is the best way to do it in game aside from using something like AutoHotKey to bind it. I stopped using it because it would disable reload canceling for me, otherwise I’d still use it right now.

(Ptiloui) #12

@Nail said:

Well, he didn’t say that you would be able to run fully charged. In fact, the movement malus when charging the revivr will stay. Here, you would just click once to start charging then click another time to release, instead of holding mouse click.

And @Sleety showed this is actually possible with console commands.

(hoyes) #13

@Nail said:

If players could indeed do this and abuse it then we could just cut down on the amount of charge her revivr has before going on cooldown. which actually is a warranted nerf, and this Qol change would be as a sort of compensation.

(Sorotia) #14

@neverplayseriou said:

Good thing you don’t run the game, the way you downvote everyone just because you refuse to adapt to a changing game and call everything OP that you’re afraid of.

The game would be so boring and would die.

(ThinkItsClose) #15

@Sleety said:
There’s already a way to do this with keybinding via the console. Had the same issue/want for a while. Holding down lmb makes my hand feel like it locks up.

O to toggle the keybind. So far this is the best way to do it in game aside from using something like AutoHotKey to bind it. I stopped using it because it would disable reload canceling for me, otherwise I’d still use it right now.

Really helpful post, any ideas on how to reset this to normal? Can you just reverse the commands?

(Ptiloui) #16

@ThinkItsClose said:

@Sleety said:

Really helpful post, any ideas on how to reset this to normal? Can you just reverse the commands?

I think these commands only works until you close the game. If you want it to be permanent, paste those commands in a file named exec.txt that you will create and place it in Dirty Bomb/Binaries directory. Then in Steam, set launch optional commands “-exec=exec.txt”. It will run the text file and execute those commands each time you run the game. You can add the “StatFPS” command to have FPS counter in the top right corner all the time.

(ThinkItsClose) #17

@Ptiloui said:

@ThinkItsClose said:

@Sleety said:

I think these commands only works until you close the game. If you want it to be permanent, paste those commands in a file named exec.txt that you will create and place it in Dirty Bomb/Binaries directory. Then in Steam, set launch optional commands “-exec=exec.txt”. It will run the text file and execute those commands each time you run the game. You can add the “StatFPS” command to have FPS counter in the top right corner all the time.

Ah okay, i just assumed they were permanent since the long jump key bind is permanent.

(neverplayseriou) #18

@Sorotia said:

@neverplayseriou said:

Good thing you don’t run the game, the way you downvote everyone just because you refuse to adapt to a changing game and call everything OP that you’re afraid of.

Not my issue barely anyone on these forums wants an actual fps instead of a rock paper scissors moba.

Not to mention that none of the things the guy said even made sense:
" It just dosent happend in casual games and other medics are much more practical. Mp, tolen and empire are just crap airsoft guns with cool design. Medpacks run out fast and revir gun is nearly overheated forcing you just to escape in any situation and regroup. She needs a buff."

You shouldn’t balance a game around retards in casual.
The machine pistols are great secondaries, if you’re expecting to take on an m4 with a secondary that’s your issue, there’s nothing wrong with them.
Medpacks don’t run out fast unless you throw them at teammates which you shouldn’t be doing in the first place.
Revivr barely ever overheats unless you try to hold an angle for way to long.

(GabebutGood) #19

@neverplayseriou said:

@Sorotia said:

@neverplayseriou said:

Not my issue barely anyone on these forums wants an actual fps instead of a rock paper scissors moba.

Not to mention that none of the things the guy said even made sense:
" It just dosent happend in casual games and other medics are much more practical. Mp, tolen and empire are just crap airsoft guns with cool design. Medpacks run out fast and revir gun is nearly overheated forcing you just to escape in any situation and regroup. She needs a buff."

You shouldn’t balance a game around retards in casual.
The machine pistols are great secondaries, if you’re expecting to take on an m4 with a secondary that’s your issue, there’s nothing wrong with them.
Medpacks don’t run out fast unless you throw them at teammates which you shouldn’t be doing in the first place.
Revivr barely ever overheats unless you try to hold an angle for way to long.

the “correct way” to play sparks doesnt mean the most fun or balanced, for example her firepower is the first thing that you notice that is different. The machine pistols however good you wont win a fire fight vs a SMG or AR so I would say in a way thats a “rock, paper, scissors” interaction. Then again there is the REVIR which throws a wrench into the interaction. I agree shes very strong if you get good with the REVIR, although she isnt very fun/good for general play IMO. It just seems they are pulling her in many directions.

(scrub_lord) #20

@neverplayseriou said:

@Sorotia said:

@neverplayseriou said:

Like every forum poster is complete trash at the game. Every single one I’ve come across in-game had the awareness of a chimp and looked like they were trying to aim with a steering wheel, including Sorotia. It doesn’t surprise me that post after post is complete drivel when everyone playing the game is drooling on their keyboards.