A few improvements we're working on...

(badman) #1

We’ve been looking into a few improvements and additions for Brink competitive play based on the feedback we’ve been seeing from you guys, as well as GreasedScotsman and the gang over at Brink TV. Among other things, this should alleviate some of the full hold issues and make the game a bit easier to follow for spectators.

Here are some of the things we’ve got in the works:

Stopwatch Spawn Times: We’re increasing the defenders’ spawn times in Stopwatch mode by 10 seconds across the board.

Steam IDs: We’re adding a new cvar listing the Steam IDs of all currently connected clients so you can verify their identities.

New Spectator HUD: The new HUD will show the status and progress of the current core objective, making it easier for spectators to see what’s going on.

Team Colors: Rather than having all the names be white in spectator mode, they’ll be colored by team (think red vs blue)

More Balancing: We are looking into a few other aspects of balancing, including specific spawn timers as well as weapon adjustments.

We’re planning to roll this stuff out as soon as everything is implemented and tested. Because it’s still a work-in-progress, there’s no specific date just yet, but we wanted to let you know that these bits are on the way.

(cheezespread) #2

Aint it a bit too late with teams sticking by only because of a tournament backed by a good load of cash ? And that doesnt count the NA crowd anway.

Thank you for the updates.

(GreasedScotsman) #3

Hope it’s ready by QuakeCon. :slight_smile:

(rushzone.com) #4

Just hope its not too late but we will have to see.

(chasm) #5

Too late, sorry.

Brink will need a drastic change for teams to come back, ie. a promod. A promod with what OP mentioned, plus reduced base weapon spread, reduced spawn protection, etc, etc.

(wolfnemesis75) #6

It will be good to see some of these changes. As a spectator, it was very hard to tell progress of each team in a match. Although I will not be participating in the events, obviously, I do like to watch competitive matches.

(miDGet) #7

you should rather work on ATI performance…:rolleyes:

(BMXer) #8

Sounds good. This should really help at quakecon.

(rushzone.com) #9

Keyword ATI, the problems is ATI drivers not the game.

(DonkeyDong) #10

My friends list ,… first day/week = 3/4 or more playing
2nd/3rd week = 1/2 or more playing
now? = 0. (not including clan scrimmers who are really just practising ballerina stuff anyway)

You make your own decision.

Imo, these rollouts should’ve been with release,. release should have been beta,. beta should have been a real beta with real opinions.

(DarkangelUK) #11

Would seriously like demo recording re-added and properly working, and have first person spectator option. I want to watch BrinkTV matches, but get no enjoyment what so ever from it when it’s in third person.

(j4bster) #12

plz also give us a “pause”

(hly) #13

light bulb! July 5th!

Take a look here :slight_smile:

May 20, 2011 10:53 am

Add respawn time on HUD.
HE charge from 40 seconds to 30 seconds
(I believe) the defense spawn time is currently 20 seconds (17 seconds with spawn buffer). Change this to 30 seconds.
Offensive spawn time: 20 seconds
Eliminate the 3 second spawn buffer

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 pm

As far as rule set, the game was fine on the stock config except for the adrenaline buff. Fixing the defensive spawn time to 30 seconds on all maps would resolve 95% of the problems with teams full holding each other. The reason I say add a respawn time on the HUD (even though you cannot /kill) is because I want to know when to play aggressive and when to be passive without a teammate telling me if they happen to be in limbo at the time.

95% of the problems fixed:
1.) Defensive spawn time 30 seconds
2.) Offensive spawn time 20 seconds
3.) Eliminate the 2.5 or 3 second spawn buffer

5% of the annoyances to fix:

4.) Add respawn time on HUD.
5.) Implement /kill
6.) HE charge from 40 seconds to 30 seconds
7.) HE charge from 7 seconds to 5 seconds to arm.
8.) Being able to move around while arming a HE Charge and not standing straight up and unable to move. (Think of being an engineer repairing or building an objective or machine gun nest).
9.) (see above but more cooler) Being able to plant a bomb anywhere on the door or area likes previous games (rtcw, et, etqw)? (think of arming the dyno on assault in rtcw or The ark (bio dome) etqw map.
10.) Having multiple people arm a HE charge.
11.) With the defensive spawn times increased the defuse time is perfect. Should take around 5 seconds. Im not sure what it is know with or without the perk.
12.) Make mines and turrets weaker to gun fire and explosive damage. It shouldn’t take over 20 bullets to blow up a mine. Make this 5 bullets max.
13.) Re-invent the whole buffing system. Im an old man now. Tendinitis is flaring up in my hand because of this. Im getting tired of having my mouse fling 180 degrees to throw someone an ammo pack, health / weapon buff. Its also frustrating when Im handing out a buff in the spawn and its dragging me to the CP and I accidently change class. There were a couple of critical situations on aquarium where I was planting a HE charge at the door. All of a sudden as Im arming the HE charge it ends up cancelling because a team walked behind me to give me a weapon buff. I end up throwing an ammo pack and having to start the whole 7 second process again.
14.) Make the whole buffing system bind-able to a weapon. Do I really need to hold down a button to buff and heal? Cant we make it easier where you press the button once and use mouse 1 to buff and heel? My keyboard doesnt support anti ghosting and half the time I cant press more than four keys at once. My computer starts beeping. Weve been playing these type of games for over 10 years. Why does an old gamer like myself need to adapt to console like controls?
15.) Make the MG nest useful.
16.) Announce the Quakecon tournament games no later than May 1st.
17.) Make enemy tinting standard. Half the time I cant tell who is on my team.
18.) If a teammate is down but not gibbed change the color of his name from white to red. If the teammate is gibbed take his name off the hud.
19.) Add k/d ratios
20.) Remove cut scenes.

(DonkeyDong) #14

Here is a genuine improvement.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/odd-22186925/raw-video-mom-zebra-dad-donkey-i-am-donkra-25841131.html

Or actually, why not just remake Quake Wars or RTCW? Probably get better absorption there.

(Tandem) #15

Ditto every reply ✓

(Impulse_) #16

[QUOTE=badman;351846]We’ve been looking into a few improvements and additions for Brink competitive play based on the feedback we’ve been seeing from you guys, as well as GreasedScotsman and the gang over at Brink TV. Among other things, this should alleviate some of the full hold issues and make the game a bit easier to follow for spectators.

Here are some of the things we’ve got in the works:

Stopwatch Spawn Times: We’re increasing the defenders’ spawn times in Stopwatch mode by 10 seconds across the board.

Steam IDs: We’re adding a new cvar listing the Steam IDs of all currently connected clients so you can verify their identities.

New Spectator HUD: The new HUD will show the status and progress of the current core objective, making it easier for spectators to see what’s going on.

Team Colors: Rather than having all the names be white in spectator mode, they’ll be colored by team (think red vs blue)

More Balancing: We are looking into a few other aspects of balancing, including specific spawn timers as well as weapon adjustments.

We’re planning to roll this stuff out as soon as everything is implemented and tested. Because it’s still a work-in-progress, there’s no specific date just yet, but we wanted to let you know that these bits are on the way.[/QUOTE]

Release the SDK and my daughter can have a pro mod made in a week. In all seriousness, you guys BS’d for 3 patches now and NOW you want to do something for the competitive side of things after the game is out of the top 100 and is sporting around 500 total people playing (IF THAT)?

Like everyone else said, too late. Quakecon gets announced for Brink and still haven’t seen 1 scimmage on the NA side of things…:mad:

(Mustang) #17

Do we get this fix for Objective too?
…or at least a server cvar

(OnceWasGreat) #18

Good news but imo wrong prioritization.

The respawn fix should have been released as a quick-fix long time ago (its a feed-back from early days) and honestly i dont think it needs so much testing…; improvements for spectators are simply a low priority as atm there is nothing to spectate (competitive scene is simply not existant). Maybe a promod-like set of features (demo, pause, 1st person spec, kick, limited skills/perks) should have top priority as the problem here is to get teams back to play the game. Give some love to players not to spectators.

Just my opinion, as usual.

(blazen) #19

Hope its ready so it can be scrimmed before Quakecon :stuck_out_tongue:

(Kurushi) #20

Wow, some ungrateful ****s on this board. It’s a good step in the right direction, thanks