45° cylinders tutorial

(kilL_888) #1

hi there.

as promised, heres my tutorial about proper 45° cylinders (bends). very easy…

create 3 patch->cylinders. move em like shown above. to save performance we jump right into our primitive inspector and define subdevisions for the cylinders. define H:4V:1 for the first 2 cylinders and H4:V:4 for the selected cylinder (this one will be bend).

now we need to use the vertex tool. press “V” to manipulate the vertexes of the selected cylinder to look like this.

now comes the tricky part. we duplicate the cylinder we just bend. select the duplicated cylinder and define subdevisions H:4V:2. basicly we need to use half the value of the vertical subdevisions from our base cylinder (4->2, 6->3, 8->4 and so forth). why is pretty easy acutally. we shrink our duplicated cylinder to half the size (90°->45°), so we need to half the vertical subdevisions as well.

now we only need to move the vertexes over our base 90° cylinder and when all edges lay over each other we are done.

sounds more complicated than it actually is. see images.

result.

suggestions, feedback, correction of bad english is always welcome :slight_smile:

(iwound) #2

To be clearer may i suggest placing pic 4 at the top to show the finished pipe first. good tut. anyone else got any vertex manipulation tips.

(pazur) #3

Basic, but always useful info for beginners :slight_smile:

(Donnovan) #4

Retake of the Andes have 0 patchs. I’m becaming a pro in manual texture alingment, sometimes i can’t believe my self.

Thanks for the tuto. I would love to use some simple patchs in my next map.

(Violator) #5

0 patches? wow :smiley:

(Boktor) #6

Bumping an old thread, but it’s a great tutorial. Here’s some hand rails I made with the help of it.

(Donnovan) #7

Extremely cool, Boktor!

(Donnovan) #8

Here some of my Patch work.

I just worked on a map that is 99% patches.

The box is a model but it was a patch work exported as model.

(kilL_888) #9

[QUOTE=Boktor;405705]Bumping an old thread, but it’s a great tutorial. Here’s some hand rails I made with the help of it.

[/QUOTE]

thanks. really glad i could help someone with this tutorial. :slight_smile: