Zombies Cathedral for Doom 3

(Zombie13) #1

Now I’m not quite sure whether I should post this in a new thread or the resource sticky up top, but I have a map file from an old-ish quake3 map thats really heavily made with patches, and since a lot of people have been asking about it, I decided to convert the map over and upload for people to rip apart and see how its done, heres a few screens from the quake3 version:

and the map file which opens in doomedit fine:
http://zombie.bhdnet.com/mapfiles/doom3/z13cath.zip

It does not come with textures or anything, so if you decide to texture it up some what, I’d be more then happy to see what you did, just send me an email :slight_smile:

Enjoy.

Zombie

(K^2) #2

The fact that it says 20FPS under Q3 worries me a bit. Does it run better than a slide show on an average machine under D3?

(Zanuff) #3

Pretty sweet map I must say, especially if it could run on the q3 engine. Its hard to believe that some of those are brushes and not models.

(Zombie13) #4

Well its not meant to be played, like I said its to show people how complex patches are made :slight_smile:

Zombie

(michi.be) #5

why does everyone make conversions of map x and map y??
then i’m browsing through the forums in the www i see only a few new maps but lots of q3dm6 and de_dust stuff everywhere. even FarcryDoom is in progress…

leave the old maps as they are. they are good enought! :smiley:

(Zanuff) #6

then i’m browsing through the forums in the www i see only a few new maps but lots of q3dm6 and de_dust stuff everywhere. even FarcryDoom is in progress…

leave the old maps as they are. they are good enought!

What are you, the Klu Klux Klan of mapping? I don’t see anything wrong with conversions. Sometimes its the engine that needs updating not the maps.

He can convert his own maps whenever he feels like.

(michi.be) #7

hey dude no need to offend me and compare me with the Klu Klux Klan guys.
its my opinion that mappers should be more creative and not just redo this and that.
if you dislike my posts and my opinions feel free tzo ad me to your forum ignore-list :slight_smile:

(ordo) #8

Everybody is in a confrontational mood today.

(ordo) #9

michi.be, its only meant for learning. Not a real map. Old, new. whats the diff?

(Zombie13) #10

Err as I said, if you READ the stuff I typed, its not for playing in, its for learning… I guess I shouldnt need bother about it in the future.

Zombie

(def46) #11

Thanks for sharing, Zombie13

@michi: Seems understandable to me that in the first few months after Doom 3 is gold we see a lot of conversions. People want to get to grips with the new engine and also are curious as to how old maps look with normal maps and such. Besides there’s also nostalgia involved for those convbeting their old Doom maps or whatnot.

(michi.be) #12

yes def46 you are right. good point.
I’m looking at the stock maps to get into the engine and do some engine-feature releated testmaps. then i will start a new map. i would like to get my fingers on one of my old maps too but i think theese are history and its time to look forward. if i want to play them i play them for the game they are made for. plus i dont want to look at my crappy brushwork i did several years ago. :wink:

edit: but we are getting OT here. lets watch zombies map process. :smiley:

(BXpress) #13

well, i think that michi.be is still right! even if it does not belong to the topic.
I see/saw lot of threads about remaking this and that map…

I mean, hey, its for training, thats NP. But you can even train if you’d build your own stuff!
No, its not a kind of stealing. I just say the same as michi.be does. please,try to be more creative… do it for me :wink:

(Zombie13) #14

Also the huge fact I never released this map, there for its not what I would call a 100% conversion if no one has played it.

Zombie

(BXpress) #15

well, we are not talking about your map since its your own map and not a released map :wink:

(swelt) #16

Another reason to do conversions is that it’s a good way to learn the new editor, get a sense for scale, create something playable etc, without having to worry about thinking up a layout. My first D3 map is a remake (not identical) of one of my own Q3 maps. I chose to do so because I wanted to get a feel for D3 editting before creating new layout ideas.

(joop sloop) #17

just for clarity sake: those screenshots were made in Quake3 not Doom3

(BXpress) #18

we know, thx :wink: