You are WRONG about shotguns (Objective Analysis)

(PugOfWallstreet) #1

Here is the link, fellas! Tell me what you think, any interesting opinions?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JMPX3kNRsC0

(woodchip) #2

You spend a lot of time talking about DPS statistics, but that’s not what’s important when it comes to Shotguns. DPS numbers miss the fact that the first shot fires instantly: a 120 DPS gun that shoots 1 bullet a second would 1shot in any duel, whereas a 125 DPS gun with a normal RoF would be (is) balanced.

Shotguns are like that. They basically all kill you in 2 shots. But of the first shot fires instantly, so the actual Shotgun TTK is more or less just the RoF interval. Which on for instance the Remburg is .63 seconds.

So let’s compare that to standard AR TTKs. With 100% bodyshot accuracy, the M4 TTK on a 120 HP Merc is about .9 seconds. With 100% headshot accuracy (5 headshots in a row) it’s about .45 seconds. If you are an extremely good but not hacking player who hits 50% headshots, 25% bodyshots, and 25% misses, you can lose to the shotgun player who lands 2 bodyshots (depending on the spread RNG, range, etc).

That means in practice that when you round a corner into a Shotgun you lose if the other player has decent aim. Unless you are running an aimbot. That’s the issue everyone has always had with shotguns: once you are in their kill zone it’s not realistically possible to counterplay them with better aim. You have to just hope they miss. Landing 2 bodyshots on the shotgun is vastly easier than 5x headshotting. Which leads to situations where the better aimer loses the gun fight to an average shotgun user. In most other situations you can always outplay the enemy if you theoretically had better aim. But in the case of shotguns the theoretically better aim you need is an actual aimbot.

Now that’s always been the issue people had. I’m not saying shotguns are OP, I don’t think they are anymore, and I don’t really have an issue with shotguns being pretty favored in point blank fights. But that is the issue. Talking about DPS numbers has really nothing to do with it.

Sorry fam.

(PugOfWallstreet) #3

Well said.

(LifeupOmega) #4

@woodchip said:
That’s the issue everyone has always had with shotguns: once you are in their kill zone it’s not realistically possible to counterplay them with better aim. You have to just hope they miss. Landing 2 bodyshots on the shotgun is vastly easier than 5x headshotting. Which leads to situations where the better aimer loses the gun fight to an average shotgun user

Sums up what I was going to type, same shit SRs do - put all the aim in the opponent’s hands and not yours.