Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Goes Open Source

(badman) #21

It’s true! No talkish rambly posts about it just yet since it went live late last night.

(badman) #22

A new story entry has been added:
[drupal=681]Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Goes Open Source[/drupal]

During his annual QuakeCon keynote speech last night, John Carmack mentioned that the full Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory source code is now available under the GNU General Public License. This is great news for aspiring modders looking to use the game’s innards as a basis for their own project, as well as community-driven improvements for Wolf: ET itself. An official, potentially press release-laden announcement is apparently still to come, but in the meantime, you can grap the source from one of the mirrors below:

[ul]
[li]id Software FTP [/li]> [li]Rapidshare [*]Splash Damage [/li]> [/ul]
Happy developing!

(B0RG) #23

Understood. Thanks Badman

greets

(quakewiki) #24

I’ve also mirrored it on QuakeWiki.net - https://www.quakewiki.net/rtcw-and-enemy-territory-gpl-source-release

Happy developing everybody!

:stroggtapir:

(HerrK) #25

This is really great for the mod-community - thx sd! :slight_smile:

(Paul) #26

This sucks :frowning:

(Cambodunum) #27

Im afraid there will be too much and bad clones … so hopefully some skilled coding-team/coders will take their hands on it - to release some usefull patches for the original game … otherwise every clan will have its “own” ET …

By the way …
@ Splashdamage
ET owns a dead feature called “Look out for updates”. Is there any chance to “acitvate” it ?
Ive heard its needed to be programmed at the masterserver … any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

greetz Cambo

(AlphaRed12) #28

Why the sad face?
This is awesome news!!!

(nUllSkillZ) #29

A link from the news id Software Open-Sources ET, RTCW I’ve found @ phoronix
Welcome Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Return to Castle Wolfenstein! @ ioquake3.org

(Scennative) #30

When one guy make a new Et.exe (or maybe include the engine to the cgame, game ui dlls?!) then its better he make it opensource. We dont need 30 new Et´s!

(nUllSkillZ) #31

It’s part of the Gnu/GeneralPublicLicense:
You can take the source code and modify.
But you MUST publish your code.

(IRATA) #32

Well as far as I can see the assests are not part of this story :confused: and if I’m not wrong it’s a big step to redo all assets for a stand alone game …

From ther README.TXT
"
This source release does not contain any game data, the game data is still
covered by the original EULA and must be obeyed as usual.
"

Anyway nice move @SD! :wink: It’s an option to put the code into an open repository and do a comunity 2.70.

(kamikazee) #33

I haven’t looked into the source folder, but… does it contain the long-missing character modelling tools?

(SCDS_reyalP) #34

Correct. But the assets are freely available to end users, unlike say Q3. You can’t bundle them with your game, but you should be able to use them in your mod/game with at most requiring your users to also go out and install ET. (IANAL)

(mortis) #35

It’s like the Ghosts of Christmas Past in here with all the old school people checking in!!!

(forty) #36

I haven’t looked into the source folder, but… does it contain the long-missing character modelling tools?

No, but it’s certainly possible that some one could develop one from what is there.

(oleczek7) #37

I have problem with compile

scons: building associated VariantDir targets: build/release/core build/release/dedicated build/release/game build/release/cgame build/release/ui
nasm -f elf -o build/release/dedicated/unix/snapvector.o unix/snapvector.asm
sh: nasm: not found
scons: *** [build/release/dedicated/unix/snapvector.o] Error 127
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Please Help me.

(varsovie) #38

:penguin: Thanks ID TECH

Now vision of see W:ET in Shader Model 3.0 & HDR is real as never before, to fill current market demands.
W:ET can now live forever.

Little sad that it take so long, when in meantime some axillary community groups had to begin developing own projects.

(valkyr) #39

[quote=oleczek7;236127]I have problem with compile

scons: building associated VariantDir targets: build/release/core build/release/dedicated build/release/game build/release/cgame build/release/ui
nasm -f elf -o build/release/dedicated/unix/snapvector.o unix/snapvector.asm
sh: nasm: not found
scons: *** [build/release/dedicated/unix/snapvector.o] Error 127
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Please Help me.[/quote]

You need to install NASM, the assembly compiler.

(oleczek7) #40

Thanks ;).