WIP - untitled map

(CptnTriscuit) #1

Well, its a WIP…

(Zombie13) #2

man thats looking sweet, whats your r_showlightcount 2 like?

Zombie

(CptnTriscuit) #3

Looks like this. I’ve been meaning to ask, what exactly is this?

(Zombie13) #4

This view mode shows you how many lights are hitting each surface indicated by different colours: black = 0 lights, red = 1 light, green = 2 lights, blue = 3 lights,anything brighter is more lights again, having white spots like you have there in your map isnt good, it means there is way to many lights hitting that same surface which brings your fps down quite a lot, if you arranged your lighting so the lighting doesnt overlap so much you would get a nice increase in fps :slight_smile:

Zombie

(CptnTriscuit) #5

Thats the sort of info you can take to the bank, thx Zombie :smiley:

EDIT:
but, whats the difference between r_showlightcount 1 & 2?

(Zombie13) #6

That I am not to sure about, alls I know is if you can make r_showlightcount 2 look the part, you’re doing well :slight_smile:

Zombie

(SyPHer) #7

Thats looking really good Cptn trisciut. I like in the third picture where it has almost like a spine looking organic thing coming out of the roof and into the wall. It does look a bit bare, maybe try bring some of the bricks in the walls outward to make it more realistic.

(Iced_Eagle) #8

Nice use of lava :slight_smile:

Oh and that bone thing looks really nice!!

(Zanuff) #9

This map looks really classic quake 1 style deathmatch :drink:

(rgoer) #10

r_showlightcount 2 shows you light counts for everything you are looking through… lots of overdraw. It’s very hard to have a “good” r_showlightcount 2.

to optimize your lighting, you want to use r_showlightcount 1 (ignores overdraw) and look for anything brighter than blue in that mode. You would have to have very, very few lights (and very simple geometry) to eliminate blue (and brighter-than-blue) “hotspots” in r_showlightcount 2…

(DumpTruck) #11

I thought so, after checking id’s maps with r_lightcount 2 - I was suspecting this was the case. thanks rgoer

(ordo) #12

looking really good CptnTriscuit. Very creative.

(LaggingTom) #13

I really couldn’t help saying this, but the lava in the first picture makes me hungry for some salsa and chips.